Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 AM

37,849 posts, read 41,215,210 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that in every election both parties pander to the Independents. Can't take this position or that position because it might upset the Independents. Can't do this or that - the Independents won't like it. Here's an idea. Let them start their own stinkin' party with their own wishy washy candidates. I suggest The Humpty Dumpty Party for people who sit on the wall. I don't want to hear anymore "We can't do that, we need the Independents' vote. They wouldn't like it." Why are we in the business of pleasing these people in both parties so that we compromise what we believe in and wind up with squishy half-as*ed laws that nobody wants?

I still think the Republican Party and the Democrat Party have outlived their usefulness and the two parties should go away and two new parties emerge as Conservative and Liberal so you know what you are supposed to be doing when you run for office and the voters know exactly what they are getting when they vote. That means no more RINOs and no more Blue Dogs. The RINOs can go to the Liberal Party and the Blue Dogs can go to the Conservative Party or they can join the Humpty Dumptys if they sway in the breeze.

Right now, the Republican northeast (which includes the news media, by the way) treats the Republican southeast like its ugly stepsister, preferring instead the arms of the Independents. Meanwhile, the big city Democrats (which includes the news media, by the way) are culling out their rural and lunch pail blue dogs preferring instead to court the Independents.

If I get another request for campaign donations from the party (as opposed to individual candidates), I'm going to write on it "Go ask the stinkin' Independents to cough up some dough since you are all about pleasing/wooing them," and mail it back to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,473,188 times
It would be difficult for the "Democrat" party to outlive its usefulness, since there ain't no such organization, except in the deluded minds of right wingnuts. For decades, it was term used only by the most rapid, racist, chickenhawk extremists. Now that it's been part of mainstream media (i.e., Fox "News") for many years, it's become more popular with the lamest and most easily deceived. And that's fine - those poor slobs have so little joy in their lives, that if using "Democrat Party" brings a little happiness into their otherwise empty lives, why, I think that's just fine.

One could argue that elected Republicans (in theory, people who really should know better) who use the fictional name "Democrat Party" are doing so simply to pander to the right ... but most over there are too stupid to know the difference.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,093,024 times
Well, independents decide elections. Don't blame the parties, blame the people. The parties will do what they can to win a support of the majority of the people. You should be ranting against the independents themselves, and tell them to pick a side. Because it's completely unacceptable to be pro choice and pro-gun rights. Or to be pro-flat tax and pro-gay marriage. Such opinions should never be allowed in this country.

Why should our politicians be forced into the far right/left fringes of the political spectrum, when most Americans are right-leaning moderates?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,332,296 times
Elections are always won in the center. It doesn't matter what the parties are called. Create a "Purity Party" if you want, but it will be small and irrelevant.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 AM

2,418 posts, read 4,273,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It seems to me that in every election both parties pander to the Independents. Can't take this position or that position because it might upset the Independents. Can't do this or that - the Independents won't like it. Here's an idea. Let them start their own stinkin' party with their own wishy washy candidates. I suggest The Humpty Dumpty Party for people who sit on the wall. I don't want to hear anymore "We can't do that, we need the Independents' vote. They wouldn't like it." Why are we in the business of pleasing these people in both parties so that we compromise what we believe in and wind up with squishy half-as*ed laws that nobody wants?

I still think the Republican Party and the Democrat Party have outlived their usefulness and the two parties should go away and two new parties emerge as Conservative and Liberal so you know what you are supposed to be doing when you run for office and the voters know exactly what they are getting when they vote. That means no more RINOs and no more Blue Dogs. The RINOs can go to the Liberal Party and the Blue Dogs can go to the Conservative Party or they can join the Humpty Dumptys if they sway in the breeze.

Right now, the Republican northeast (which includes the news media, by the way) treats the Republican southeast like its ugly stepsister, preferring instead the arms of the Independents. Meanwhile, the big city Democrats (which includes the news media, by the way) are culling out their rural and lunch pail blue dogs preferring instead to court the Independents.

If I get another request for campaign donations from the party (as opposed to individual candidates), I'm going to write on it "Go ask the stinkin' Independents to cough up some dough since you are all about pleasing/wooing them," and mail it back to them.
Awesome!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,007,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Hmmmmm, Independent Voters are the only Voters that do not base their vote simply on the letter behind a candidates name. They are a large and growing sector of American voters and the only ones that base their votes on the issues alone and not Party loyalty, so I can see why you, a Republican, would have an issue with them. Maybe if the Republican Party was not in such disarray these days and had some real ideas on how to deal with the many issues instead of whining all the time about the "other" guy they would draw more Independent Voters. So get your own House in order and stop playing childish finger pointing games and you will be back in favor, until then get used to the idea that most Independent voters are turned off by what they see coming from the GOP.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:26 PM

17,061 posts, read 12,683,621 times
I hope the all wishy washy people dont vote for whoever the OP likes. I love all the we dont need you stuff from the wingnuts that is until November.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 PM

37,849 posts, read 41,215,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hmmmmm, Independent Voters are the only Voters that do not base their vote simply on the letter behind a candidates name. They are a large and growing sector of American voters and the only ones that base their votes on the issues alone and not Party loyalty, so I can see why you, a Republican, would have an issue with them. Maybe if the Republican Party was not in such disarray these days and had some real ideas on how to deal with the many issues instead of whining all the time about the "other" guy they would draw more Independent Voters. So get your own House in order and stop playing childish finger pointing games and you will be back in favor, until then get used to the idea that most Independent voters are turned off by what they see coming from the GOP.
Don't fall off your high horse by calling me childish. I'm not impressed. I don't want independent voters in my proposed Conservative Party and I think the Liberals feel the same. We want to know what we are getting when we vote Liberal or Conservative. You guys that sway in the breeze can nominate your own candidates, and donate your own money,for the Humpty Dumpty Party ticket (or whatever you want to call yourselves) and be what you want to be.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM

29,253 posts, read 22,560,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Well, independents decide elections. Don't blame the parties, blame the people. The parties will do what they can to win a support of the majority of the people. You should be ranting against the independents themselves, and tell them to pick a side. Because it's completely unacceptable to be pro choice and pro-gun rights. Or to be pro-flat tax and pro-gay marriage. Such opinions should never be allowed in this country.

Why should our politicians be forced into the far right/left fringes of the political spectrum, when most Americans are right-leaning moderates?
And as far as it goes, why blame anyone who votes as an independent?

If the political system was functioning at it's best, the choice of the voters should be a very hard and serious decision. In a perfect world, most voters would remain undecided for a long time because candidates from either party would be equally good potential Presidents.

The fact is the job of being President is never what it actually is once the campaigning is over. Situations, emergencies, and the unexpected and unforseen always make the job different once a person is in office.

Issues that are the hottest during an election can often change, disappear, or never become serious. A perceived weakness in a candidate can turn out to be an great strength as a President, and vice versa.

It's natural that, in times that have a lot of complicated problems and a lot of social division, lots of voters are going to be independent. Things have a way of changing, sometimes radically, over the many months of a campaign.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,211,455 times
This attitude and line of thinking..."let's just tell everyone who is not as extreme as we are to kiss off" is exactly what is wrong with the Repubican party today.

Here is an idea though, why not start your own party? You seem to be the minority, not those who like some balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections