Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question of Time View Post
This is false.
I encourage you to tell me which part is wrong and possibly provide a link.

Many of the bound delegates that Ron Paul supporters are excited over.....are bound for at least the first round to vote for someone else.....bound means tied to the actual voters from their state or district within the state for the first round at minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,202 times
Well it seems like everything we post is wrong then. Where did you find this magic delegate count that no one else can find?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Previous post.
Ron Paul is using "fuzzy math" to take a phrase from 2000. Most of his delegates that he is counting do support him, but are obligated to vote for someone else in the 1st round by convention rules and sometimes even later rounds.

I know that it is so sad that 75.6% of the delegates are bound to vote in the 1st round by Ron Paul's biggest enemy - the popular vote - the will of the masses.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,202 times
Quote:
Not true.
Then what percentage of the delegates are bound on the first round of balloting? Please provide us with alternative information if you are going to make those bold assertions.

Keep in mind, candidates choose their delegates. In some states, the people voting may have no idea who the delegates support when they vote for them, but it doesn't matter since they are bound to the popular vote. In such cases, people will randomly vote for delegate names with no idea who they are for. Those delegates, being chosen randomly, are just as likely to support Paul, Romney, Santorum, or Gingrich (well, not Santorum since he usually can't find enough delegates to support him in time). In many states, like mine, the ballot tells you who each delegate supports. I will be voting for 3 Romney delegates. Those Romney delegates are just as committed to Romney as Paul's delegates are to him. They are not anxiously waiting to vote for Ron Paul on a second round of balloting, they will stay with Romney.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Paul will force a brokered convention and will likely to win. His supporters has make it very clear that it is Paul or no one. If they want to get rid of Obama, Paul is their best chance.

Just look at the fact now, this is base on the "total" included caucus delegates from WSJ/CNN. Total delegates outstanding primary is total of 1237
Romney: ~ 500
Santorum: ~250
Gingrich: ~130

For Romney, he will needs about about 650 or 50%.
Santorum: about 70%. He will need a miracles.
Gingrich: about 80%. He will drops out.

Assume Romney does get the 50% of the remaining primary delegates, he shouldn't wouldn't have enough. Because about 1/3 of his 500 is from the caucus. Caucus delegate cannot be used. So he really need about 150 delegates to secure it. That mean instead of 650 delegates, he will need 800 out of 1237 delegates to secure it.

Unless some how both Santorum and Gingrich drop out today, he will not able to secure it.

Paul still has a lot of money, he will be able to compete in these primary states that he has been reluctant to complete earlier. He will attack more and more after Gingrich drops out, most likely before the next debate.
What happens if Gingrich drops out. Can he give his delegates to Santorum or that's not up to him?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What happens if Gingrich drops out. Can he give his delegates to Santorum or that's not up to him?
No one can "give" their delegates to anyone. When a candidate drops out, the delegates become unbound. That delegate can then vote for anyone they want. While the majority of the Romney and Santorum delegates are their own supporters, a good chunk of them are actually Paul supporters (I know some personally who fall into this bracket). If Romney or Santorum gets 1,144 delegates in the first ballot itself, then good for them, but I doubt this will happen. If not, then all bets are off. That's when you see the so-called Romney and Santorum "supporters" magically start to switch their votes to Paul.

Prepare to be shocked in Tampa.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
No one can "give" their delegates to anyone. When a candidate drops out, the delegates become unbound. That delegate can then vote for anyone they want. While the majority of the Romney and Santorum delegates are their own supporters, a good chunk of them are actually Paul supporters (I know some personally who fall into this bracket). If Romney or Santorum gets 1,144 delegates in the first ballot itself, then good for them, but I doubt this will happen. If not, then all bets are off. That's when you see the so-called Romney and Santorum "supporters" magically start to switch their votes to Paul.

Prepare to be shocked in Tampa. You too. Maddow, like all political TV pundits make a living on half truths. She didn't talk about "bound delegates."

Your homework this weekend. Look up the definition of bound delegates. Most (75.6%) delegates are bound on the first ballot.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Maybe there's a big conspiracy by the GOP to get Paul elected, and that's why they designed the system to benefit him. All of this under the guise of pretending to hold Paul back. I knew it!

Hey, it's not any crazier than some of the conspiracy theories Paul's people have put out there
Actually one of the craziest I have seen is from a non-paul supporter.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Well it seems like everything we post is wrong then. Where did you find this magic delegate count that no one else can find?
I posted some alternate links. Seems the MCM counts are basically projections.
This thread covers alternate sources for counts.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...k-what-do.html

Old 03-18-2012, 11:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post

I can't believe you really think many of Santorum and/or Newt supporters are really Paul supporters. How can you be serious? This makes absolutely no sense!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections