Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,052,613 times

Advertisements

I'm gay and a politician's gay friendliness is important to me, although not the only thing that matters, of course. So, how do you think the five presidential candidates (including Obama) rank in terms of gay friendliness? Here is my stab at it (#1 is most friendly):
  1. Obama
  2. Paul
  3. Romney
  4. Gingrich
  5. Santorum
I feel that this is pretty accurate, although I was thinking of switching #2 and #3. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,760,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
  1. Obama
  2. Paul
  3. Romney
  4. Gingrich
  5. Santorum
I completely agree with #1, #2, and #5. I'm not sure how I'd rank Romney and Gingrich, but since Romney did at least say that he was supportive of gay rights years ago, that probably gives him an edge over The Grinch.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,296,372 times
I haven't seen anything to indicate that Mittens has a gay-friendly bone in his flip-flopping body. But, then again, how would we know? He's flip flopped over so many things, how do we know what we can or can't trust about his gay friendliness - or lack of?

In fact, I'm pretty sure that numbers two, three, and four all tie for the middle spot. And, Frothy Santorum, who has compared homosexuality to bestiality, would be the worst possible president we could have if we want to move this country forward with equality for all. He's really a scary and the fact that he's been running so close to Mittens is very, very scary indeed.

But, hey! you got the right guy in the number one spot!

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-20-2012 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,859,930 times
Though he's the most hostile, that's more the reason I'd have to give Santorum the "most likely to be involved in a gay sex scandal, or to come out gay" award.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 AM

9,918 posts, read 10,876,942 times
I thought we didnt want politicians to care about our sex lives ?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,760,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I thought we didnt want politicians to care about our sex lives ?
Most of us don't, but they keep "caring" anyway. And now they're not only attacking homosexuals, they're going after all women who use birth control.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,421,717 times
Any candidate who gets us out of Afghanistan and gets the economy back on track is "friendly" to everybody, gays included. Those two items are included in the job description. The rest of the jazz is smoke and mirrors.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,819,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm gay and a politician's gay friendliness is important to me, although not the only thing that matters, of course. So, how do you think the five presidential candidates (including Obama) rank in terms of gay friendliness? Here is my stab at it (#1 is most friendly):
  1. Obama
  2. Paul
  3. Romney
  4. Gingrich
  5. Santorum
I feel that this is pretty accurate, although I was thinking of switching #2 and #3. What do you think?
Hear me out, but I think Paul happens to be more gay-friendly than Obama, and #1 and #2 should be switched.

This is my reasoning -

Obama is a Democrat, so naturally, everyone expects him to be all for gay rights, but he said his views are "evolving", which to me is a dodge. Obama supported repealing DADT, sure, but so did Paul, and the only GOP candidate to do so. (You can check the voting record here.)

Paul personally believes that a marriage should be between a man and a woman, BUT, he wants the federal government out of the marriage business altogether, including heterosexual marriages.

In his words:

Quote:
“Biblically and historically, the government was very uninvolved in marriage. I like that. I don't know why we should register our marriage to the federal government. I think it's a sacrament.”
Quote:
"Matter of fact, I'd like to see all governments out of the marriage question. I don't think it's a state function, I think it's a religious function."
When asked if he was supportive of gay marriage, Paul responded,
Quote:
"I am supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want."
Paul supports most of Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) because it protects a state from being forced to recognize a same-sex marriage performed in another state. He is a states' right activist, so he will always oppose the federal government from telling the states what to do. Paul do NOT support DOMA Section 3, which nullifies all same-sex marriages.

Paul opposes Federal Marriage Amendment (FMA) which would have made same-sex marriages unconstitutional, and is the only GOP candidate who opposes it.

So, to summarize, if this was a Paul administration, gays would have been free to marry from day one, as long their home state doesn't oppose it. There, at least, would have been no federal opposition.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,853,715 times
As with any salesman...

To be the top seller and profit generator, you have to tell them what they want to hear, but never the detrimental truth, that will surely kill the sale!

Up sell, change orders, with bait & switch....

Or do you want truth and honesty, so you don't make a bad purchase?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,834,431 times
I think Santorum is VERY gay-friendly. He just hasn't admitted it to himself yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections