Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I read this today:

"President Obama attacked presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney over his support for Arizona’s tough immigration law Saturday and pledged to work for comprehensive immigration reform if he wins a second term."

Obama hits Romney over immigration stance - Washington Times

Beside the obvious question people should be asking Obama "If you think your immigration plans are so swell why didn't you do them in your first 4 years?" why is Romney letting Obama make the election about Romney on any issue? Obama is the INCUMBENT. Election 2012 should be all about Obama. Romney should make Obama defend his policies. Instead, it's Obama on offense and Romney on defense. We know Romney can't argue about Obamacare because of Romneycare but why isn't he punching hard on everything else, especially energy?
He probably can't because he knows if he gets elected Wall Street will have him doing exactly what they've had Obama doing. Just as Obama kept doing what Bush had started doing. Maybe he doesn't want to be thought of as a liar the way we all see Obama. Perhaps that is why he said if he were president he'd have signed the NDAA as Obama did.

I agree with you that if he really was going to bring about change and wasn't bought and paid for by special interests (like Ron Paul) he could do that . The problem is, Goldman Sachs is bank rolling his campaign and he has them to answer to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
I read this today:

"President Obama attacked presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney over his support for Arizona’s tough immigration law Saturday and pledged to work for comprehensive immigration reform if he wins a second term."

Beside the obvious question people should be asking Obama "If you think your immigration plans are so swell why didn't you do them in your first 4 years?" why is Romney letting Obama make the election about Romney on any issue? Obama is the INCUMBENT. Election 2012 should be all about Obama. Romney should make Obama defend his policies. Instead, it's Obama on offense and Romney on defense. We know Romney can't argue about Obamacare because of Romneycare but why isn't he punching hard on everything else, especially energy?

You must watch the news and such only for sporadic periods of time and sleep the rest or something. Have you not heard any of Mitt Romney's speeches? All he has talked about for the past two months is Obama and abysmal record.

The general election has not even begun yet in actuality, because for some reason some of you wanted this to go on until the convention.

Give the man a chance to wrap up the nomination. He has had to run against some in his own party and try to run a general election campaign at the same time, because of some of those in our party who want to keep divisiness and strife going all of the time. It would be nice if those same people could accept that they were wrong and support who the majority chose to represent us.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Willard is so beaten and battered from Newt and his own party that he's barely standing on his own. Obama has been tossing a few jabs here and there that have been landing like knockout blows, and we're still in the GOP election cycle.
With Newt refusing to drop out and the extreme right not approving of Willard, it's going to continue to drag him down. Once he get to the big game against Obama, it's not going to look pretty for Willard

Really??? You are definitely delusional. Romney is leading in the polls or haven't you noticed. More importantly, he is leading by 6 points with independents. You are obviously one of those people who do not watch news or read either. Obama is not lookin' so good and he has not landed even the first blow, because he can barely keep his head up from his own boggling, scandals, failing economy and I can't wait to see what's next.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Quote:
I read this today:

It's early in the game. Romney is only the 'PRESUMPTIVE' nominee....he hasn't won anything yet.

I believe at SOME point intime, obama will have to answer for his record. We saw the way Romney went after Gingrich and Santorum, and he literally destroyed their candidacy. When the actual presidential campaign begins, obama will be bobbing and weaving because he literally has no successful record to defend...

Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Really??? You are definitely delusional. Romney is leading in the polls or haven't you noticed.
Someone here is delusional, and it sure isn't me

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
More importantly, he is leading by 6 points with independents. You are obviously one of those people who do not watch news or read either. Obama is not lookin' so good and he has not landed even the first blow, because he can barely keep his head up from his own boggling, scandals, failing economy and I can't wait to see what's next.
We all know you have googly eyes for Willard, but Obama has been leading him in the polls for months, and to this day. The economy keeps getting better, I don't have a clue what you mean by "scandals" unless you mean Willard's constant foot-in-mouths and the GOP's attacks on women.

Last edited by TempesT68; 04-18-2012 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:

We all know you have googly eyes for Willard, but Obama has been leading him in the polls for months, and to this day. The economy keeps getting better, I don't have a clue what you mean by "scandals" unless you mean Willard's constant foot-in-mouths and the GOP's attacks on women.

Pres. Obama calling Dixiegirl to apologize for your obvious sexism in 3, 2, 1.8, 1.7, 1.64, 1.63, 1.629, 1.628.....

Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is something that McCain failed at. Not that he was popular anyway but he didn't seem to shoot back, he played it way too nice. I don't agree that he would have been a good president, I'm just pointing out that "playing nice", unfortunately is not how you win elections.

If they smear you, it's time to step up and fight back, not sit back passively and let them smear you.

(No, I'm still not voting for Romney, I'm just agreeing with you that I agree with your second point...well, actually, I agree with both points.)
McCain's problem was that he was running on GWB's record. That's what got Obama elected: GWB's dismal record.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
It's early in the game. Romney is only the 'PRESUMPTIVE' nominee....he hasn't won anything yet.

I believe at SOME point intime, obama will have to answer for his record. We saw the way Romney went after Gingrich and Santorum, and he literally destroyed their candidacy. When the actual presidential campaign begins, obama will be bobbing and weaving because he literally has no successful record to defend...
Oh dear, I think Gingrich and Santorum destroyed themselves. Romney is going to be the nominee. The math doesn't lie.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Why didn't Obama pass immigration reform? Each President can only really push one mammoth effort like that in one term. In Bush's second term he tried to reform Social Security. It took all of his political capital and once done, he had none left for anything else.

Obama took on healthcare reform like many Presidents both Republican and Democrat had done. He also had to deal with the mess he was left with economic conditions being rather critical. Should he decide to take on immigration, it will have to be in his second term.

Incidentally, there's a reason why the Republicans didn't do a thing about immigration except hand money to special interests. It's a hot potato. Nobody wants to deal with it. You end up losing the hispanic vote, pissing off the commercial lobbys, etc. There's a reason why Reagan gave up and let illegals stay and there's a reason why Republicans didn't touch it.

I'm highly doubtful that either Romney or Obama will take it on no matter who wins. The Republican House will not take the charge on it. They won't want Obama to pass it as they'd not want him to get credit for it. I don't see Romney having anywhere near the juice to get it done.
Very good post.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:

Do you even look at links you post. the two newest polls listed in your link (if you had even looked at it) has Romney either leading or tied with Obama...wake up!

CBS News/NY Times4/13 - 4/17852 RV4646TieRasmussen Tracking4/15 - 4/171500 LV4347Romney +4Gallup Tracking4/13 - 4/172265 RV4448Romney +4CBS News/NY Times4/13 - 4/17852 RV4646TieRasmussen Tracking4/15 - 4/171500 LV4347Romney +4Gallup Tracking4/13 - 4/172265 RV4448Romney +4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections