Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please specify your reason/s for not voting for a Mormon for President
I could never vote for a non-Christian for President and Mormons aren’t Christians. 7 38.89%
I disagree with certain Mormon practices and beliefs. This is my chance to retaliate. 4 22.22%
Mormonism is so outlandish. Anyone who believes it has to be crazy; who wants a crazy president? 7 38.89%
I’m afraid Romney would try to turn the country into a Mormon theocracy. 5 27.78%
It’s complicated. I just hate Mormons on general principle. 2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:02 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I am curious as to why. Please don't vote on the poll itself unless your reasons for not voting for Romney are (if even in part) tied to his religious beliefs. Anyone is welcome to comment and participate on the thread. I'd just like the voting to be truly representative of what people's concerns about Romney's religion really are. (Your votes are confidential and you can vote more than once.)
I can not in a million years believe we have so many narrow minded people in our country. I looked at the results and I am appalled. I wonder how many of those who voted real feel the way they are saying, I wonder if some through a vote in just to highjack the entire post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM

215 posts, read 309,041 times
Why is Romney 's religion an issue...and not Obama 's? I think both are in controversial religions...so it should not be a deciding factor. Who can control this spending, is who I would vote for. So far, it seems Romney is the one with the experience.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,167,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can not in a million years believe we have so many narrow minded people in our country. I looked at the results and I am appalled.
Trust me. I am not the slightest bit surprised. I have dealt with this bigotry for years. It's only because a Mormon is running for President that decent Americans outside the LDS community start to get a glimpse of the hatred of some of our fellow U.S. citizens. It's pathetic, but nothing new.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:59 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,293,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
Why is Romney 's religion an issue...and not Obama 's? I think both are in controversial religions.
Being a christian is controversial?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,022,561 times
I'm fine with Mormons. Used to live with a "Jane Mormon" (she said she lacked the proper plumbing to be a "Jack Mormon").

My issues with Romney have nothing whatsoever to do with his religion. They have everything to do with his established history and his current attempts to justify and distance himself from his past actions.

Out of curiosity why was there no poll option for "I'm indifferent to his religion but despise Romney because he's a lying putz attempting to reinvent himself in order to gain votes" option?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Out of curiosity why was there no poll option for "I'm indifferent to his religion but despise Romney because he's a lying putz attempting to reinvent himself in order to gain votes" option?
There was no such option because the poll was specifically addressed to the people who are NOT indifferent to his religion.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
There was no such option because the poll was specifically addressed to the people who are NOT indifferent to his religion.
Whatever works for you. Seems more than a bit biased and geared toward gaining votes as opposed to admitting religious bigotry to me but it's your poll, biased or not.

Are we not, as Americans, supposed to accept people based on their personal merits with no regard to their religious leanings?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Whatever works for you. Seems more than a bit biased and geared toward gaining votes as opposed to admitting religious bigotry to me but it's your poll, biased or not.
Well, seeing as I'm a Mormon who intends to vote for Obama, I can assure you that my poll was not geared towards getting votes. I know there are many reasons why people aren't planning to vote for Romney. I know why I'm not voting for him. I also know that many people (dozens on these forums alone) are not voting for him solely because of his religion or at least in part because of his religion. As a Mormon, I was curious as to what, specifically, it is about his Mormonism that has people on the verse of hysteria.

Quote:
Are we not, as Americans, supposed to accept people based on their personal merits with no regard to their religious leanings?
We are. And I do.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Well, seeing as I'm a Mormon who intends to vote for Obama, I can assure you that my poll was not geared towards getting votes. I know there are many reasons why people aren't planning to vote for Romney. I know why I'm not voting for him. I also know that many people (dozens on these forums alone) are not voting for him solely because of his religion or at least in part because of his religion. As a Mormon, I was curious as to what, specifically, it is about his Mormonism that has people on the verse of hysteria.

We are. And I do.
Thanks for clarifying.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,719,337 times
Both mormons and christians should scare the hell out of any American. Look at GW Bush, a born again christian who publicly said he spoke to God and God answered him. This devoted christian then declared war on an innocent nation killing 100,000 to a million Iraqis, 7000 American military, and injuring thousands more.

Romney, a millionaire, donated somewhere around 3 million to charity last year. Most of that money went to the mormon church. BTW, the mormon church required a 10% tithe for membership. So just how much money did Romney really donate? Romney makes his money as a vulture capitalist. He shuts down American businesses and/or moves them overseas. He has cost over 100,000 Americans to lose their jobs. He has openly stated he enjoys firing people. I guess he is following the word of a mormon god.

American does not need another religious loon of any denomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections