Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,090,761 times

Advertisements

I noticed we didn't have one of these threads yet as we usually do. What do you guys think will happen tonight? If the majority of Republicans don't like Romney (at least according to many on the left, who I guess are the foremost experts on what Republicans do and don't like), then presumably he should still lose or do poorly tonight. If the threads about how much the GOP dislikes Romney are true, then expect a poor performance from him tonight.

Personally, I think he will sweep since he is clearly the nominee and Republicans in recent weeks have shown themselves happy and excited to rally around him.

Some disagree with me, Politico thinks Newt could even win Delaware
Could Newt pull off a Delaware upset? - Ginger Gibson - POLITICO.com
Why I think that won't happen:
- Mitt Romney is no Mike Castle. Not even close
- O'Donnell is a Romney-backer, so that was sort of a bad example on Politico's part
- Romney has won the majority of self-identified conservatives so far anyway
- Most Delaware voters (even GOP voters) are suburban. But even the rural ones in central and southern Delaware border on (and are culturally similar to) the Eastern Shore counties of Maryland where Romney ran up large margins
- Finally, there is no one who thinks Gingrich has a chance. Everybody knows Romney is the nominee

Some Paul supporters have recently alleged on these forums that Evangelicals are beginning to flock to Paul with Santorum out of the race. Will this be seen in tonight's exit polling? Could Ron Paul secure his best primary performances yet? Unlike his supporters, even Paul has said he will "eventually have to win a state" to be the nominee. Could tonight be the start of his momentum? I would personally doubt it. But what are everyone else's thoughts?

How many delegates will Romney get out of tonight? Will he get them all? Is there anyone who thinks he won't, or that there's still a possibility he won't make it to 1144? If that is your opinion, please elaborate. I'm sick of people coming in here saying Romney won't get it, Ron Paul will win, so on and so forth, without detailing how that will happen.

In addition to the GOP Primary which is, in my opinion, over (and I think everyone's opinion besides possibly Ron Paul supporters) there are also many House/Senate primaries today, including the Mark Critz/Jason Altmire incumbent showdown in PA
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/75512.html

Last edited by tmsterp; 04-24-2012 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM

473 posts, read 401,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
I noticed we didn't have one of these threads yet as we usually do. What do you guys think will happen tonight? If the majority of Republicans don't like Romney (at least according to many on the left, who I guess are the foremost experts on what Republicans do and don't like), then presumably he should still lose or do poorly tonight. If the threads about how much the GOP dislikes Romney are true, then expect a poor performance from him tonight.

Personally, I think he will sweep since he is clearly the nominee and Republicans in recent weeks have shown themselves happy and excited to rally around him.

- O'Donnell is a Romney-backer, so that was sort of a bad example on Politico's part
- Most Delaware voters (even GOP voters) are suburban. But even the rural ones in central and southern Delaware border on (and are culturally similar to) the Eastern Shore counties of Maryland where Romney ran up large margins
- Finally, there is no one who thinks Gingrich has a chance. Everybody knows Romney is the nominee

Some Paul supporters have recently alleged on these forums that Evangelicals are beginning to flock to Paul with Santorum out of the race. Will this be seen in tonight's exit polling? Could Ron Paul secure his best primary performances yet? Unlike his supporters, even Paul has said he will "eventually have to win a state" to be the nominee. Could tonight be the start of his momentum? I would personally doubt it. But what are everyone else's thoughts?

How many delegates will Romney get out of tonight? Will he get them all? Is there anyone who thinks he won't, or that there's still a possibility he won't make it to 1144? If that is your opinion, please elaborate. I'm sick of people coming in here saying Romney won't get it, Ron Paul will win, so on and so forth, without detailing how that will happen.

In addition to the GOP Primary which is, in my opinion, over (and I think everyone's opinion besides possibly Ron Paul supporters) there are also many House/Senate primaries today, including the Mark Critz/Jason Altmire incumbent showdown in PA
Jason Altmire - Mark Critz race tests labor's muscle - POLITICO.com
Ron Paul is still gaining more delegates than Romney. Newt will drop out after today.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:

I would love to know where the Paul supporters are getting their ideas on evangelicals running to Paul. I haven't seen one thing that supports this.

I too pretty much feel Romney will sweep tonight. Paul could have his best showing as there are only the 3 of them left, but even a decent showing isn't going to help. Guliani came out yesterday to support Romney. Everyone of any importance is coming over to his side. It is obvious to those who have an open mind, the party is getting behind Romney. As G put it last night, he has the best chance to win and yes, it is anyone but Obama at this point. This might not be the right attitude but it is the way Republicans are thinking.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would love to know where the Paul supporters are getting their ideas on evangelicals running to Paul. I haven't seen one thing that supports this.

I too pretty much feel Romney will sweep tonight. Paul could have his best showing as there are only the 3 of them left, but even a decent showing isn't going to help. Guliani came out yesterday to support Romney. Everyone of any importance is coming over to his side. It is obvious to those who have an open mind, the party is getting behind Romney. As G put it last night, he has the best chance to win and yes, it is anyone but Obama at this point. This might not be the right attitude but it is the way Republicans are thinking.
There's no way evangelicals will support Romney. Cannot happen, would not happen. There's still Texas and California. Both favor Ron Paul.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,596,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born to Run View Post
There's no way evangelicals will support Romney. Cannot happen, would not happen. There's still Texas and California. Both favor Ron Paul.
California is Romney country. In the primary that is.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,265,306 times
Romney has won substantial fractions of evangelicals in several states, including in MS and AL.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Romney has won substantial fractions of evangelicals in several states, including in MS and AL.
Evangelicals won't support a mormon. Especially in the South. They'd support Newt before Romney.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times
I wonder how the April 24 primary states feel about other states picking their candidate every stinkin' presidential election year. That's what I think about.

I'd stay home and I bet most of them will, too.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,090,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born to Run View Post
He won evangelicals in my state. I can't wait for tonight's exit polling data

Where on God's earth is any evidence that Ron Paul will pick up any significant portion of the vote in TX and CA, let alone win?

I do think he will do better than he has been. I think his supporters arer the least likely to get behind Romney as long as Paul is still in the race. Unlike most people on this forum though, most Ron Paul supporters will get behind one of the major party candidates, most of them Romney.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,514,663 times
Quote:

One thing to keep in mind with Delaware is while New Castle County has the bulk of the population, it doesn't have the bulk of Republicans as its a heavily Democratic county. So even though the bulk of voters in the state are suburban, the GOP electorate is far more rural than the state as a whole.

With that being saidyou are right, Romney is no Castle. Castle is a moderate and electable statewide in a General. Romney isn't a moderate and completely unelectable statewide, but that does make him more viable as far as the Primary goes.

As far as the other states, I don't remember right now if its all winner take all by state and CD or if some proportionate break out occurrs for the delegates (though I'm pretty sure most if not all are winner take all by state and CD). IIRC the PA state delegates are awarded later on and its the CD ones tonight. Either way I expect Romney to take the vast majority if not all the delegates tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections