Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:29 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,261,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Recessions last on average about six months.

It's been nearly four years, and we're still sitting on an unemployment rate that's higher than he said it would never get to.

I would say that the economy is recovering in spite of Obama, not because of him.

I've been thru recessions (all of them caused by Republican presidents btw), and I would not call what happened from Sept 2008, a mere recession. That'd be like calling Yao Ming, "kinda tall."

We are recovering. Some of you may deny that Obama has anything to do with it, but we are recovering.

Btw, after all that this administration did to rescue the economy, from saving GM to saving banks to private equitying business; I found it astounding that conservatives still managed to rationalize that the economy is recovering despite Obama. Really? All the money that was injected into the economy has no effect? Really? No effect at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,448,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Willard making a damn goon point that W trashed the economy, and Obama has been fixing it. Maybe he's not that nuts after all

Who said W trashed the economy?

Of course the economy has improved, but just barely.

If you compare the recovery following the 1982-83 recession, there is no comparison.

That recovery (Reagnomics) rocked with million of private sector jobs created, inflation cut by ten points, the misery index cut in half, the US Dollar's buying power restored and the price of gasoline slashed.

This recovery is creating jobs at one third the rate Reaganomics did. Inflation is up, the value of the dollar is down and a gallon of gas costs three times what it did when Reagan was president.

1983 - NBC News Overnight part 1 - YouTube

Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,085,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Recessions last on average about six months.

I guess you missed the late seventies til early eighties.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,240,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I've been thru recessions (all of them caused by Republican presidents btw), and I would not call what happened from Sept 2008, a mere recession. That'd be like calling Yao Ming, "kinda tall.".
A mere recession or not, they ALWAYS RECIVER NATURALLY..
Quote:
We are recovering. Some of you may deny that Obama has anything to do with it, but we are recovering.
They always recover, even when governments do nothing. Its called an economic business cycle.
Quote:
Btw, after all that the White House did to rescue the economy, from saving GM to saving banks to private equitying business; I found it astounding that conservatives still managed to rationalize that the economy is recovering despite Obama. Really?
Um, it was Bush that created TARP that saved GM, to banks and private equities businesses.
Quote:
All the money that was injected into the economy has no effect? Really? No effect at all?
Um, all of that money injected, must FIRST be removed from the economy.. Where the hell do you think they get it?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Those periods were actually multiple recession, back to back, commonly referred to as a double dip recession

Old 04-25-2012, 05:36 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,261,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Who said W trashed the economy?
Both Romney and Inghram did. She said to Romney that Obama inherited the mess and Romney concurred. Who did Obama inherited from if not W Bush? Unless you're saying Clinton caused this great recession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Of course the economy has improved, but just barely.

If you compare the recovery following the 1982-83 recession, there is no comparison.

That recovery (Reagnomics) rocked with million of private sector jobs created, inflation cut by ten points, the misery index cut in half, the US Dollar's buying power restored and the price of gasoline slashed.

This recovery is creating jobs at one third the rate Reaganomics did. Inflation is up, the value of the dollar is down and a gallon of gas costs three times what it did when Reagan was president.

Reaganomics = Voodoonomics.

It was good until the economy crashed again in the late 80's. Caused directly by Voodoonomics, or have you cons already forgotten about that.

How about we institute a recovery that sustains more than just a few years this time around? How about a permanent recovery instead of another conservative quick fix?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,171,427 times
Quote:
I've been thru recessions (all of them caused by Republican presidents btw)
ROFL

The needle on my Respect-O-Meter just pegged to the left.

Quote:
Btw, after all that the White House did to rescue the economy, from saving GM to saving banks to private equitying business; I found it astounding that conservatives still managed to rationalize that the economy is recovering despite Obama. Really? All the money that was injected into the economy has no effect? Really? No effect at all?
Yes, really.

Thanks for bringing up GM. Had he not done what he did, the stockholders (which includes virtually everyone with a diversified 401k) got shafted in that deal, and for what? So the government could take ownership? For a massive union payback? So profitable dealerships could be closed and all their employees laid off because of the owners' political affiliations? Yeah, that GM deal sure was great for the country. What a crock. Only UAW workers and full blown Obama worshipers believe that nonsense.

As for the effect of his spendulous plan, I'm not against some government investment during hard financial times. The problems with what he did are that he spent too much and he spent it in the wrong places. It was a failure of epic proportion, and everyone - even you - knows that to be true. You won't admit it, but you know it.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,011,290 times
Red face Mittens doesn't know the economy

Do people have such a short memory that they cannot recall that Mitt Romney didn't see the economic crisis coming in 2008 until AFTER the market crashed?

Ron Paul saw it coming and warned us!

The economy is being propped up by quantitative easing (QE 3.5 headed to QE4) and an influx of investments from the eurozone. The shakey foundation of out monetary policy and our debt driven service based economy continues to crumble.

Quote:
Both Romney and Inghram did. She said to Romney that Obama inherited the mess and Romney concurred. Who did Obama inherited from if not W Bush? Unless you're saying Clinton caused this great recession?............
Correct, the foundations for mortgage backed derivatives trading and the housing bubble were lain during the Clinton administration. (Clue: Robert Rubins, Goldman Sachs)

Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,171,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I guess you missed the word "average." Or perhaps you need a dictionary?

Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Both Romney and Inghram did. She said to Romney that Obama inherited the mess and Romney concurred. Who did Obama inherited from if not W Bush? Unless you're saying Clinton caused this great recession?
Neither one even mentioned Bush.. I ignored the rest of the babble because thats all it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections