Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Not really my point. Many parents don't have money in that amount to loan their kids to start a business, pursue an education, or for any other purpose.
did he say, all parents? I didn't get that part, I did get the slant of the website however...Can we say left or left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,522,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Lol, Obama's advice is to borrow money from your children.

National Debt Tops $14 Trillion - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

3,121 posts, read 3,111,873 times
He just lost the cheapskate parent vote.

25,867 posts, read 20,807,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Funny that no one has even acknowledged my post about community college. Kind of funny that we spend billions on that resource, but kids and parents are so sold on the prestige and "experience" that either the kids or parents destroy their personal finances unnecessarily.

I figured that out at 17, why would none of the "smart" kids and their parents figure this out? I hire young graduates frequently, and the prestige of their undergraduate institution is almost never a consideration. I cannot imagine Romney would even consider CC, as they are not for his class, but the cost / benefit ratios of higher ed. are so out of wack these days, common sense needs to prevail.
I'm all for CC and I agree, it is a bargain.
As a matter of fact, our local high schools have signs up all over the buildings showing the difference in costs between taking "core" classes at the CC vs. taking them at the local state university. CC costs half what the university costs.
As the credits are all transferable, any one with any sense would take the classes at the CC.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
If you want to hear a really good convention speech - a rarity - listen to this one.
She was pretty funny, such as: Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did, she just did it backwards and in high heels."

Gov. Ann Richards speaks at the 1988 Democratic Convention - YouTube
and who won in 1988 and how many terms did she spend as governor of Texas? She was funny, but didn't appear to be all that bright and she won't go down as one of Texas's better governors, I can tell you that. Being funny, does not make someone equipted to hold public office.

Nita

Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
$20K? He doesn't even know how much college costs! $20K per year if not more at a state university. 2-3 X that much at a private college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
That was my first thought. Gee, I wish my parents had 60k to throw at me and my two sisters for college.

You know, I don't think Mitt's a bad person, but statements like this constantly reinforce the fact that he truly has no idea--none at all--what it's like to be an average American. It's not completely his fault since he was born into wealth, but still, it's very unsettling how clueless he really is. And the more clueless he shows himself to be, the less comfortable I am with him being president.
Quote:
Exactly my sentiments. He has no clue about what it is like to be middle or working class, and his loyalty is clearly with his class. We had enough of that under W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Mr. Romney's sons are all near 40, so, they would have been in college, well, university really, near two decades ago.
There is abolutely no comparison between what it cost then and what it costs now, even for public colleges/universities.
You all obviously didn't even read what he said. He wasn't talking about college tuition. He was suggesting students getting a loan from their parents to start a business as ONE option, not as the only option. Presumably he meant if their parents are willing and can afford it. The point of his comment was to inspire students to take economic risks.

He also talked to some of the students on a more personal level and even offered personal advice:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ells-students/

Quote:
“And I wonder whether you get information coming into college that says you know, this course of study will lead to this kind of jobs and there’s a lot of opening here as opposed to – as you said, English – and as an English major I can say this,” said Romney, as the female student who had questioned the major quickly apologized, saying, “Sorry.”
He does know what it's like to be middle/working class. His parents were not wealthy when he was a young child. Though I do have concerns about Romney being out of touch, Obama is out of touch as well and I still think Romney would be a much better president. I sometimes think he phrases things differently than he should and wish he would do a better job of more carefully choosing his words.

Tigerlily, his youngest son is barely 30.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-28-2012 at 11:29 AM..

Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,111,873 times
Half the cases on Judge Judy seem to be relatives suing for money that was supposed to be paid back when the tax refund came through.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,915,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
did he say, all parents? I didn't get that part, I did get the slant of the website however...Can we say left or left?
I don't believe I suggested he said all; however, borrowing from parents in large sums is not something the average American necessarily has access to. It's not a left or right thing- it's a reality of working and middle class finances thing. I'd be thrilled if ANY politican could wrap his or her head around the financial reality of not making 200+K a year.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Seems like Wesley Clark was a guy who was not only super smart, but who served his country for decades in the military. A bit different than a guy who helped make rich people richer. I also suspect that Clark is much more intelligent than Romney, and with a better knowledge of human nature. Ambition was not what I was railing against, but the sense of entitlement to someone with money and success. But I don't recall Clark's platform too much, so I could be wrong.
Romney is VERY intelligent. He was valedictorian of his college class at BYU and graduated cumlaude (the post won't go through without the first word turning into *** if I separate them) from Harvard with a JD and MBA.

FYI - Obama never served in the military.

Romney has helped create jobs for many working/middle class Americans during his career.

Fiddlehead, you sounded like you were warming up to Romney for awhile, but your more recent posts make it seem like you hate him.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-28-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Funny that no one has even acknowledged my post about community college. Kind of funny that we spend billions on that resource, but kids and parents are so sold on the prestige and "experience" that either the kids or parents destroy their personal finances unnecessarily.

I figured that out at 17, why would none of the "smart" kids and their parents figure this out? I hire young graduates frequently, and the prestige of their undergraduate institution is almost never a consideration. I cannot imagine Romney would even consider CC, as they are not for his class, but the cost / benefit ratios of higher ed. are so out of wack these days, common sense needs to prevail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I spent my first two years in community college--and paid for it myself. Going there also enabled me to save up enough for my first year at university, though i had to take out loans my final two years. It was probably one of the smartest financial moves I ever made in my young life.
Yes, I did my first two years of college at a community college as well, though my parents paid for my education after I transferred to a university and I never had to take out loans (thank God).

I agree - it's a VERY smart decision for kids to start out at community colleges.

That being said, the additional anti-Romney comments are unnecessary and the cost of college is not even the subject of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections