Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM

513 posts, read 583,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Not really my point. Many parents don't have money in that amount to loan their kids to start a business, pursue an education, or for any other purpose.
Yet they have money to pay for other kids educations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,915,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Yet they have money to pay for other kids educations?
Yes, nice try, but not at all what I was saying. I'm curious as to why you think that is what I was implying?

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 04-28-2012 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: not worth it

Old 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,810,068 times
It's fascinating that the left is in high dudgeon over the notion that parents may lend children money (Romney never suggested kids ask their parents for 20k), yet they are indifferent to asking their kids to pay 50k. Very strange.

U.S. National Debt Clock

Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,966,252 times
Both idiots but didn't Mitt's Dad buy them a house?

Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,816,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney is VERY intelligent. He was valedictorian of his college class at BYU and graduated cumlaude (the post won't go through without the first word turning into *** if I separate them) from Harvard with a JD and MBA.

FYI - Obama never served in the military.

Romney has helped create jobs for many working/middle class Americans during his career.

Fiddlehead, you sounded like you were warming up to Romney for awhile, but your more recent posts make it seem like you hate him.

I don't hate him really, but I do think threads like this show he does not understand or relate to the common person. He will need to overcome that perception if he is to succeed. I do think being born rich creates perceptions of greatness, which are fine. But being President is more than just a rich man's trophy. Obama's roots and desire to help the common person come through clearly. He will need to demonstrate that he cares for all Americans, not just his corporate friends. I am open to evidence of that.

I knew that Clark was supposed to be uber smart, I did not mean to imply Romney isn't. I will say, I admire his tenacity in pursuing his goals. He has been steady and he may just win.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:37 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,520,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Ouch! Thread destroyed!
Not, how lame..Obama created all that debt, right

Old 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,816,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes, I did my first two years of college at a community college as well, though my parents paid for my education after I transferred to a university and I never had to take out loans (thank God).

I agree - it's a VERY smart decision for kids to start out at community colleges.

That being said, the additional anti-Romney comments are unnecessary and the cost of college is not even the subject of this thread.

Sure, it is a bit of a tangent, but I was pointing out that there are obvious options out there besides parents or kids borrowing so much money. But, and I could be wrong about this, I think there is a perception that cc is for losers and that kids should borrow to spend their time at an elite private school. Romney is not the only one who thinks this, I suspect. Probably Obama too. But it is worth mentioning. At least I have heard Obama talk about student loans that took years to pay off. I can relate to that. I don't think Romney had that problem.

Glad to read some of the smarter posters on this board did their time at the CC, suggesting it is indeed not going to hold you back.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,600,483 times
Based upon his past practices, I suspect there's more to that video than is shown.

Mitt tells them to borrow money from their parents, then offer to buy their house with it, paying them the equity and taking over the note. Then, the kids can borrow money against the equity, invest it with Goldman Sachs, kick Mom and Dad out and let the bank foreclose on it.

That way, they'll generate enough wealth to open their business and be free of Mom and Dad wanting their money back.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,914,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Not really my point. Many parents don't have money in that amount to loan their kids to start a business, pursue an education, or for any other purpose.
This is exactly the point. The middle class is fighting to keep its head above water, fighting to hang onto their homes and their jobs and their retirement accounts. This isn't the boom time of the '90s. Many parents simply don't have an extra $20,000 laying around to lend their kids to start a business. But these bad economic times haven't touched Romney, so as usual, he is woefully unaware of the world that so many Americans live in.

Related to this speech:

Barack Obama And*Mitt Romney Deliver Speeches To Students - YouTube

Obviously Mitt has just as much trouble relating to youth as he does to everyone else. (TPM has a picture of a student sitting behind Romney falling asleep.) Pity the poor kids who were forced to sit through the long, torturous retelling of how Mitt saved Staples so that they all can take their degrees and go work for minimum wage.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,810,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This is exactly the point. The middle class is fighting to keep its head above water, fighting to hang onto their homes and their jobs and their retirement accounts. This isn't the boom time of the '90s. Many parents simply don't have an extra $20,000 laying around to lend their kids to start a business. But these bad economic times haven't touched Romney, so as usual, he is woefully unaware of the world that so many Americans live in.

Related to this speech:

Barack Obama And*Mitt Romney Deliver Speeches To Students - YouTube

Obviously Mitt has just as much trouble relating to youth as he does to everyone else. (TPM has a picture of a student sitting behind Romney falling asleep.) Pity the poor kids who were forced to sit through the long, torturous retelling of how Mitt saved Staples so that they all can take their degrees and go work for minimum wage.
I

As many times a I have read the Romney quote, I haven't found a sentence where he suggests kids ask parents for 20k. Perhaps you can point it out to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections