Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,896,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I

As many times a I have read the Romney quote, I haven't found a sentence where he suggests kids ask parents for 20k. Perhaps you can point it out to me?
You're right, he doesn't specifically say $20,000, he says "borrow money from your parents." My bad.

Romney to students: borrow money from your parents

Which doesn't change my original point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,786,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You're right, he doesn't specifically say $20,000, he says "borrow money from your parents." My bad.

Romney to students: borrow money from your parents

Which doesn't change my original point.
It should. His message is perfectly fine for folks of all incomes, take risks.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,942,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
That was my first thought. Gee, I wish my parents had 60k to throw at me and my two sisters for college.

You know, I don't think Mitt's a bad person, but statements like this constantly reinforce the fact that he truly has no idea--none at all--what it's like to be an average American. It's not completely his fault since he was born into wealth, but still, it's very unsettling how clueless he really is. And the more clueless he shows himself to be, the less comfortable I am with him being president.
obama has even less of an idea what it is to be an american-and an average american at that-from all his vacations and his spending other people's money, and his flat out lying to the american people.

the government deliberately took over the student loan industry in 2009 and then voted to raise the student loan interest rate-now there is grandstanding to pretend to stop the hike in an election year. WHAT BS!

obama's solution is to borrow the money from your children, with interest, except for this massive spending will blow up before your children are eligible to go to school.

i see today that we have troops in africa hunting for kony now, like that is a high priority to most americans.

obama should have won the economics prize the same year he won the peace prize.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,910,362 times
Quote:
It should. His message is perfectly fine for folks of all incomes, take risks.
Taking risks is a fine message. It may have been a more effective message if the example he used had been of someone who didn't have the same financial resources with which to take those risks (his example was of Jimmy John who borrowed 20K from his parents to start his business).

Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Taking risks is a fine message. It may have been a more effective message if the example he used had been of someone who didn't have the same financial resources with which to take those risks (his example was of Jimmy John who borrowed 20K from his parents to start his business).

Why? Romney never suggested anyone borrow 20k. Simply that it was done and paid big dividends. Anyone who downgrades his message based on this example is a demagogue.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Why? Romney never suggested anyone borrow 20k. Simply that it was done and paid big dividends. Anyone who downgrades his message based on this example is a demagogue.
We'll have to disagree about that. Risk-taking is a wonderful concept. Understanding what risk-taking looks like with the average American's financial options is what is being criticized. He could have made the point about risk-taking paying off in a way that actually used an example of capital that is attainable to the average person. He may very well understand what the average American's financial situation is - he has not done a stellar job communicating this so far.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
We'll have to disagree about that. Risk-taking is a wonderful concept. Understanding what risk-taking looks like with the average American's financial options is what is being criticized. He could have made the point about risk-taking paying off in a way that actually used an example of capital that is attainable to the average person. He may very well understand what the average American's financial situation is - he has not done a stellar job communicating this so far.
He has done a fine job communicating his message, some are simply picking nits. You have seen how effective the propaganda has been. Several posters who didn't read the link thought he recommended asking parents for 20k.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,609,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I guess in Mitten's world every parent has 20k laying around to give their children..This guy is a loon.

Romney's Advice To Students: Borrow Money From Your Parents | ThinkProgress

Romney is not a loon.

He just doesn't know anyone who isn't a fellow millionaire.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
He has done a fine job communicating his message, some are simply picking nits. You have seen how effective the propaganda has been. Several posters who didn't read the link thought he recommended asking parents for 20k.
I should rephrase. I don't think Romney has effectively communicated any appreciable understanding of the average American's financial situation through this point of his campaign. I give a pretty wide latitude for gaffes and media spin.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I should rephrase. I don't think Romney has effectively communicated any appreciable understanding of the average American's financial situation through this point of his campaign. I give a pretty wide latitude for gaffes and media spin.
On that I disagree completely. He has made a solid case that he understands what Obama's unemployment is doing to the average guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections