Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:13 AM

119 posts, read 203,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Wrong........ Al Gore got the popular vote. Bush was appointed by the Supreme Court...... Furthermore , do you think if Bush was running today ,that he could get elected ? Clinton's popularity , even after the Righties got him impeached , was much higher than Bush........Face the facts. he is a failed president, has blood on his hands , is violating the Constitution , and should be impeached , along with Cheney , and the rest of the crime family ,........... but then , thats just my opinion........
I have problems with the lefties also. They have not stood up in numbers as they promised. They will have some explaining to do come election time. The vast majority in this Country , wants the War over , our troops brought home , and , friendly relations with the rest of the world . The debt is out of hand , spent like a drunken sailor by this President. Is that the conservative way ? I thought you folks were for fiscal conservatives ? And , for less government , .its now bigger than ever. ............ Do the right thing , stand up to this Dictator , the " decider ",.... even if it hurts , and , I know it will.......but , our troops will thank you for it , .so will the spouses , and the children....who just don't understand why so many people have to die , for no reason , it is sad , sad , sad !!!!
If electing a Black man or women , would end , the war , I would vote for them . If they would reduce our national debt , give us universal health care , protect our boarders, enforce the laws already on the books( illegals)entering out country,...well , I don't care what color , race , creed , or religion. This country has gone beyond that, I would like to think.....( maybe not ).. It looks like a Women WILL be the next President. The right wing , just needs to get over it , and , I know it will be tough. My , My , My , a women leader in the White House , and a Democrat to boot !.......

this is funny, ok so explain the second election then if you think Bush lost the first one.

Dont you think we ALL want the war to be over? you have to think about more than just wanting our troops home you need to look at the consequences to just bailing out right now. Thats the problem with people who think like you do, you arent thinking past stopping the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 AM

8,733 posts, read 16,000,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texcali32 View Post
this is funny, ok so explain the second election then if you think Bush lost the first one.

Dont you think we ALL want the war to be over? you have to think about more than just wanting our troops home you need to look at the consequences to just bailing out right now. Thats the problem with people who think like you do, you arent thinking past stopping the war.
Yes , you want the war to be over , but , there are those who do not , or , are profiting from the War. Its Vietnam all over again, same hawks , same doves. We all are passionate about the issues, but , in the meantime a lot of people die , on both sides...... Just , go to DC , and to the Wall , , reflect on all the names carved in stone, never mind all the wounded , and never mind all the family's who suffered ( still do ). Its a sobering site , and , when this War is over , some day, there will be another Wall , full of names , and , more destroyed family's, and more maimed young men and women on the streets to remind us of their sacrifice.......... , we never learn . I was against this war before it started , I am against the next war , that they are about to start as well , in Iran........

Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 AM

119 posts, read 203,331 times
Quote:
Yes , you want the war to be over , but , there are those who do not , or , are profiting from the War. Its Vietnam all over again, same hawks , same doves. We all are passionate about the issues, but , in the meantime a lot of people die , on both sides...... Just , go to DC , and to the Wall , , reflect on all the names carved in stone, never mind all the wounded , and never mind all the family's who suffered ( still do ). Its a sobering site , and , when this War is over , some day, there will be another Wall , full of names , and , more destroyed family's, and more maimed young men and women on the streets to remind us of their sacrifice.......... , we never learn . I was against this war before it started , I am against the next war , that they are about to start as well , in Iran........

My father fought in Vietnam, my husband fought in Iraq I think I know a little bit about the two wars and I pray this does not turn out like Vietnam, unfortunately you seem to want us to quit like we did in Vietnam and I think not only would it be detrimental to us as a country and to the Iraqi's it would also be a very bad decision for the troops. Do I want them to continue to die, of course not and I think it's pretty crappy for you tell me to go look at the wall as if by seeing those names I would change my mind. I KNOW how many lives are being sacraficed, my husband witnessed it first hand. we also have a family member lying in a hospital right now from his injuries in Iraq.
The worst message you could send to the troops is that it was all for nothing..just like Vietnam. I happen to think we did the right thing and I have hope we can finish this. Many many that I know that are DIRECTLY involved feel the same way. I listen to those that have been there, what they have seen, whats really going on, not what the media spews out. I have family/friends who will never be the same after what they have gone through there but they believe going in was right and they are doing good out there. Who are you to say they are wrong.

unfortunately we are at war with terrorism and as much as I would like to see it all end, it's not going to anytime soon. Ihate to break it to you but Al Queida will attack again as soon as we give them an opening. so believe what you want. we all want peace, some of us are just a little more realistic about how peace will come.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,186,128 times
All good points, folks, but the thread's subject is not war, but are we ready for a black president?

Stay on topic, please.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 AM

8,733 posts, read 16,000,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texcali32 View Post
My father fought in Vietnam, my husband fought in Iraq I think I know a little bit about the two wars and I pray this does not turn out like Vietnam, unfortunately you seem to want us to quit like we did in Vietnam and I think not only would it be detrimental to us as a country and to the Iraqi's it would also be a very bad decision for the troops. Do I want them to continue to die, of course not and I think it's pretty crappy for you tell me to go look at the wall as if by seeing those names I would change my mind. I KNOW how many lives are being sacraficed, my husband witnessed it first hand. we also have a family member lying in a hospital right now from his injuries in Iraq.
The worst message you could send to the troops is that it was all for nothing..just like Vietnam. I happen to think we did the right thing and I have hope we can finish this. Many many that I know that are DIRECTLY involved feel the same way. I listen to those that have been there, what they have seen, whats really going on, not what the media spews out. I have family/friends who will never be the same after what they have gone through there but they believe going in was right and they are doing good out there. Who are you to say they are wrong.

unfortunately we are at war with terrorism and as much as I would like to see it all end, it's not going to anytime soon. Ihate to break it to you but Al Queida will attack again as soon as we give them an opening. so believe what you want. we all want peace, some of us are just a little more realistic about how peace will come.
In order to stay on topic , I still , think that the majority in this country wants our war over , NOW . I believe if a black candidate could convince us , that he or she would end the war, now , bring home the troops , that that person could be elected. I think when the bottom line is drawn , that the War IS the big issue, not the color of the candidate.
Now , all things being equal ( no war on the books ) , I think that if a black man or woman were up against a white person , with the same qualifications , that the white one would have an edge , just because thats what people are used too. Its wrong , just to vote for a face , but , thats reality. We are not there yet , things like religion, color , ethnic background, still do count. Unfortunately, few vote from knowledge , for most people , politics gives them a headache.......

Old 10-30-2007, 11:31 AM

294 posts, read 438,206 times
Quote:
Yes , you want the war to be over , but , there are those who do not , or , are profiting from the War. Its Vietnam all over again,

only in the sense of certain politiccians trying to screw it up for us

same hawks , same doves. We all are passionate about the issues, but , in the meantime a lot of people die , on both sides...... Just , go to DC , and to the Wall , , reflect on all the names carved in stone, never mind all the wounded , and never mind all the family's who suffered ( still do ). Its a sobering site , and , when this War is over , some day, there will be another Wall , full of names , and , more destroyed family's, and more maimed young men and women on the streets to remind us of their sacrifice.......... , we never learn . I was against this war before it started , I am against the next war , that they are about to start as well , in Iran........

I am familiar with wars, past and present. and have been "in" on this one. does nothing about keeping from the sacrifice of the Military not being in vain mean anything to anybody?

nobody "wants" war or for it to drag out and some of these politicians have been using it to get the popular vote since the war started...including obama. what makes him more qualified becasue of that. becasue he is willing to cut and run with his tail between his legs? somehow this makes him more qualified?

I wouldnt vote for him if i had to, regardless of his race. people are using his race as an excuse to justify the fact people wont vote for him because he is kind of a dipstick

Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,014,463 times
If a Black man will get us out of this war, then we are ready for a Black president.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM

158 posts, read 447,107 times
First of all, Obama is NOT Black. He's Mixed (Mulatto). He has one Black and one White parent. Second, Hispanic is not a race. Many Hispanics are as White as George W. Bush or as Black as Jesse Jackson. Many Hispanics are also Mixed. Sadly, most Americans have not the common sense nor the intelligence to discern this fact. It is evident when Americans spout off such nonsense as, "He don't look Hispanic! He looks White!" or "She cannot be Hispanic! She looks Black!" But those Hispanics that are obviously Mixed seem to fit in the narrow conceptions of what most Americans think a Hispanic should look like! How sad and foolish! Hispanic is not a look or a physical appearance or trait!

I said all that to say this. If Americans are by and large too dumbed down to realize something as simple as race in it's proper context, then how in the world are Americans ever going to turn this nation around? How are Americans going to build us back up where we were back in the late 19th century through the 60s?

I would absolutely love to see Alan Keyes as president! He's Black, but he's a truth-sayer as well. That's one reason he nor anyone like him will ever be president. There's one criterion that will certainly never ever allow a man to become president, and that's telling it like it is, the whole truth, and standing up for what is actually right! A man does this and he'll never be elected whether he's Black, White, or Mixed! I tell you who we need and that's some more men like TR (Teddy Roosevelt), Douglas MacArthur, George Patton, etc., instead of all these ultra-post-moderinistic schmarmy, spineless, wimpy, pansy, pantywaists we have today who won't stand for nothing except what goes in their wallets!

FAMOUS QUOTE: "The problem today with politics, is that it's too full of politicians!" [Me]

Old 11-05-2007, 07:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,146,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
First of all, Obama is NOT Black. He's Mixed (Mulatto). He has one Black and one White parent. Second, Hispanic is not a race. Many Hispanics are as White as George W. Bush or as Black as Jesse Jackson. Many Hispanics are also Mixed. Sadly, most Americans have not the common sense nor the intelligence to discern this fact. It is evident when Americans spout off such nonsense as, "He don't look Hispanic! He looks White!" or "She cannot be Hispanic! She looks Black!" But those Hispanics that are obviously Mixed seem to fit in the narrow conceptions of what most Americans think a Hispanic should look like! How sad and foolish! Hispanic is not a look or a physical appearance or trait!

I said all that to say this. If Americans are by and large too dumbed down to realize something as simple as race in it's proper context, then how in the world are Americans ever going to turn this nation around? How are Americans going to build us back up where we were back in the late 19th century through the 60s?

I would absolutely love to see Alan Keyes as president! He's Black, but he's a truth-sayer as well. That's one reason he nor anyone like him will ever be president. There's one criterion that will certainly never ever allow a man to become president, and that's telling it like it is, the whole truth, and standing up for what is actually right! A man does this and he'll never be elected whether he's Black, White, or Mixed! I tell you who we need and that's some more men like TR (Teddy Roosevelt), Douglas MacArthur, George Patton, etc., instead of all these ultra-post-moderinistic schmarmy, spineless, wimpy, pansy, pantywaists we have today who won't stand for nothing except what goes in their wallets!

FAMOUS QUOTE: "The problem today with politics, is that it's too full of politicians!" [Me]

There's a lot of reasons Alan can't get elected anywhere. Being just too darn honest ain't one of them.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,536,005 times
LOVE Obama, would LOVE to have him as President or Vice President.

I don't pay any attention to Jesse Jackson so his opinion holds NO WEIGHT with me at all.

I think our country is ready for a strong leader that will make the American people their priority. It shouldnt matter what color that leader is, whether they are male or female. The fact that so many in the US are still racist and sexist speaks to how badly we need a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections