Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,174,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Usually the undecideds break for the challenger.

Yes, they do. I think only Bush was the exception. I have always thought Michigan would be in play. I know that hasn't been the sentiment on here, but I never pay much attention to that. I was also told Romney wouldn't get the nomination by almost everyone here at one time or another with the exception of a handful of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,030 times
Quote:
Poll: Obama leads Romney in Michigan; more voters support same-sex marriage | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Obama leads Romney by 5, 45% to 40.....with 15% undecided. For an incumbent well under 50%...that is good news.....for Mitt.

He leads with women by 12 points...not an insurmountable number.

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

In 2008, obama won MI women by......22 points.

Obviously, there is a LOT of undecided MI voters.....waiting to see and hear from Mitt.

They already KNOW the incumbent and obviously don't care too much for him as it stands.

Obama won MI in 2008 57%-41%.
Sorry but I live in the state and there are simply too many people here that remember that Mitt had no problem with Detroit and the auto industry go bankrupt. Also the fact he left the state and never really identifies as a Michigander, despite the fact he was born and raised here doesn't win him a lot of fans either.

Mitt Romney in Lansing draws UAW protests; union reminds Michiganders of his "Let Detroit go bankrupt" column

Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,939,280 times
Quote:
Poll: Obama leads Romney in Michigan; more voters support same-sex marriage | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Obama leads Romney by 5, 45% to 40.....with 15% undecided. For an incumbent well under 50%...that is good news.....for Mitt.
He leads with women by 12 points...not an insurmountable number.
Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
In 2008, obama won MI women by......22 points.
Obviously, there is a LOT of undecided MI voters.....waiting to see and hear from Mitt.
They already KNOW the incumbent and obviously don't care too much for him as it stands.
Obama won MI in 2008 57%-41%.
OK go ahead and celebrate. Have a great time.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:01 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,174,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Sorry but I live in the state and there are simply too many people here that remember that Mitt had no problem with Detroit and the auto industry go bankrupt. Also the fact he left the state and never really identifies as a Michigander, despite the fact he was born and raised here doesn't win him a lot of fans either.

Mitt Romney in Lansing draws UAW protests; union reminds Michiganders of his "Let Detroit go bankrupt" column

Since most auto workers know that they ended up filing organized bankruptcy just like Romney said they needed to do anyway, I doubt most of them have a problem with it...not actual auto workers anyway. Now I am sure there are some uninformed people who did not work for the auto industry and don't understand that they reorganized under bankruptcy just like Romney said they needed to that feel that way.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,819,953 times
RCP has Obama +10 with some polls as high as +18. Also keep in mind and likely the strongest point is that Obama saved Detroit and america's auto industry while Willard would have left them to fail.
You would have to be out of your mind to think Willard has any chance of taking MI.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 15,097,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
RCP has Obama +10 with some polls as high as +18. Also keep in mind and likely the strongest point is that Obama saved Detroit and america's auto industry while Willard would have left them to fail.
You would have to be out of your mind to think Willard has any chance of taking MI.
Those polls are all outdated. You know that - come on.

I talk politics regularly. Many democrats here wished Hillary would have challenged Obama. This is certainly in play for Romney.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 15,097,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

I am also from Michigan, I think this is close. Yes Obama is in the lead, but it is close.

P.S. GM and Chrysler did go through bankruptcy....just after the unions got theirs. A lot of Michiganders are also fed up with the lie that GM has paid back the government. GM was given over 50 Billion dollars, which included a loan for around 7 Billion dollars that they paid back with other government money. GM has not paid any of their own money back to the government from car profits.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,579,803 times
Sanrene,

Your threads are always a great source of humor and fun to laugh at.

Thank you,
Theliberalvoice

Old 05-13-2012, 06:12 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Sanrene,

Your threads are always a great source of humor and fun to laugh at.

Thank you,
Theliberalvoice
I know, right? Here's the tactic, broken down into steps.

1. Pick a poll that shows Romney as close or ahead. Discount all other polls (this thread).

2. Even if Romney is down, it's because the poll is too heavily weighted towards Democrats, so that means he's really ahead. Refer to 2010 party ID, which is based on exit polls from an election in which had a significantly older electorate than in 2004 or 2008, which is proven by said exit polls. Ignore any and all age-demographics in those exit polls (see recent thread on PA).

3. Bring up the number of undecideds, and state that they will split 80-20 against the incumbent. Ignore that this "rule" is based on an article written in 1989, and has been discredited in elections since then, and as recently as 2004 (see Ohio thread).

4. If that fails, link to electoral map that awards states based upon Obama's favorability rating (whether it's above or below 50%). Ignore that Romney's favorability is FAR lower than Obama's (a recent thread).

5. If there aren't any new polls, insist that Obama's gay marriage stance will cost him the election. Ignore that gay marriage is now approved of by a plurality of the population, that it may drive younger people to the polls in support, and the people who are against gay marriage probably wouldn't have voted for Obama anyway. Oh, and that internal GOP memo from yesterday, which urged a softening on the issue because they clearly sense a landmine here. (see every thread since last Wednesday).

You guys sure know how to delude yourselves! Then again, there are people on my side who do the same. I believe that Obama will come out ahead in this election, it will be closer, but states like OR, MI, and PA aren't in play at all. In fact, I believe that Romney may come close to winning the popular vote, but the electoral college won't be near indicative of that for several reasons.

Discuss.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,479,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Yes, they do. I think only Bush was the exception. I have always thought Michigan would be in play. I know that hasn't been the sentiment on here, but I never pay much attention to that. I was also told Romney wouldn't get the nomination by almost everyone here at one time or another with the exception of a handful of people.
Clinton as well. The whole undecideds break for the challenger is not something that we actually see much on Presidential races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections