Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:49 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,180,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Iran might not be occupying other countries, but they certainly use the threat of force to manipulate other countries. What do you think the nuclear weapons are wanted for?
Maybe they want to protect themselves? They are one of the world biggest oil producers.

How many US bases are surrounded Iran?

Isreal has nukes too.

And lastly, does it has something to do with petrodollar? You betcha.

========================

One more thing. People who support the war do not want to send their love one into the war zone. I am 200% sure that none of them want to receive the letter from DOD that you love one have been killed in line of duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,682,379 times
And how many of those polled who favor another war will be joining the Military to fight in it?

How many of them are Veterans or have children/loved ones in the service?

That is what I would like to know.

Oh and how many of them are aware of the 1953 coup d'etat? They don't teach that in schools. How many of them don't know we started this whole BS against Iran to begin with?

What part of WE ARE BROKE don't you fools understand?!

Pakistan has nukes too. Yet we have sent over 20 billion dollars in foreign aid to that country and they harbored BIN LADEN.

Why aren't we going after Pakistan?

I remember when Iraq was a threat to our freedom too. Do you? Over 33.000 troops wounded and almost 5.000 dead. Not to mention the hundreds of thousand of INNOCENT civilians

How many more need to die so we can save face? How many friends did you lose in Iraq?

And let's go fight in Iran while we have a virtually OPEN southern border...

Gosh, the stupidity of some folks is mind boggling. And then you have the nerve to call yourselves "Christians".

DISGUSTING.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:06 AM

26,528 posts, read 15,102,432 times
There are great points against not using military intervention, military intervention doesn't necessarily mean war either. I don't want a war, I don't want a military intervention, but I also don't want Iran with nuclear weapons.

Would the country be safer if everyone, everyone carried a gun?

Would the world be safer if every country, every country had nuclear weapons? This would also mean that rogue groups would have more opportunities to access nuclear weapons.

It isn't a simple answer. I don't think anyone truly knows what course of action would bring the best outcome. I don't. I do know it isn't as simple as some make it.

P.S. ArmyChick...US History textbooks at least used by my school have the 1953 coup in them, and the 1953 coup is also testable material on the AP College Board US History Exam...so you are mistaken.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,480,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Maybe they want to protect themselves? They are one of the world biggest oil producers.

How many US bases are surrounded Iran?

Isreal has nukes too.

And lastly, does it has something to do with petrodollar? You betcha.

========================

One more thing. People who support the war do not want to send their love one into the war zone. I am 200% sure that none of them want to receive the letter from DOD that you love one have been killed in line of duty.
Nor do they want to pay for these never ending wars of ours.
Could it be that Iran may want a nuke after seeing what was done to defenseless Iraq? My gun nut friends say that everyone should have a right to defend themselves.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Nor do they want to pay for these never ending wars of ours.
Could it be that Iran may want a nuke after seeing what was done to defenseless Iraq? My gun nut friends say that everyone should have a right to defend themselves.
Great points. Wars add to our rapidly growing debt.

But your argument doesn't work in all cases. After all, Nazi Germany was just trying to defend itself while rearming and building strong military. Then Nazi Germany was just trying to defend fellow Germans in the Sudetenland when they invaded Czechoslovakia. By that time it was too late for a simpler solution.

I hope the youth in Iran sway their government in a different direction away from leaders that talk about wiping Israel off the map and how gays don't exist in Iran when asked if it is true that Iran executes gays.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
A Global

According to the poll, 94% of Americans oppose Iran obtaining nuclear weapons. 80% of them support tougher economic sanctions on Iran to prevent them from obtaining nuclear weapons and 63% support using military force if necessary.
There is a world of difference between not wanting a country to have
nuclear weapons e.g. Iran, and understanding why a country would want them.
IMO, I don't want any country having nuclear weapons, and that includes
my own, USA.

Paul has never said he would be happy if Iran had nuclear weapons. Only
that he understood the reasoning behind why they would want them.

When ignorance drives a country's foreign policy, there never can be
a solution/end to what triggered the violence in the first place.

Peace and the golden rule aren't dirty words, but
war and destruction are. I'm proud to be against nuclear weapons
and their use....Have a nice day

Old 05-19-2012, 09:43 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,471 times
Quote:
I hope the youth in Iran sway their government in a different direction away from leaders that talk about wiping Israel off the map and how gays don't exist in Iran when asked if it is true that Iran executes gays.
The talk about wiping Israel off the map is simply a lie spread by politicians and the media and for some reason very persistent. Threats of war (by the US) and the economic boycotts only reinforce the power of their current government.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
The talk about wiping Israel off the map is simply a lie spread by politicians and the media and for some reason very persistent. Threats of war (by the US) and the economic boycotts only reinforce the power of their current government.
I guess it wasn't recently, just in 2005: "In 2005, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, during a meeting with protesting students at Iran's Interior Ministry, quoted a remark from Ayatollah Khomeini, founder of Iran's Islamic revolution, that Israel "must be wiped out from the map of the world."

Ahmadinejad then said: "And God willing, with the force of God behind it, we shall soon experience a world without the United States and Zionism," according to a quote published by Iran's state news outlet, the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA)."

Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 AM

290 posts, read 176,468 times
Israeli minister agrees Ahmadinejad never said Israel

Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,682,379 times
Quote:

P.S. ArmyChick...US History textbooks at least used by my school have the 1953 coup in them, and the 1953 coup is also testable material on the AP College Board US History Exam...so you are mistaken.
I wasn't educated here so I can't verify that. But my boyfriend and his brother were and told me the only mention of Iran was the 1979 Hostage Crisis. Both went to HS in Mass

Same for my daughter's godmothers children, one is 20, one a Senior in HS and the other one a junior... Currently going to HS in NH.

And they are not the only ones who have said the same to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections