Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,962,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
It would not surprise me if Cory Booker was paid by Republicans to make the comment he did

Booker was only commenting that the politics were nauseating (wright vs private equity). He was not saying Bain was off limits.
Cory Booker is close to Wall Street donors and was parroting their over-the-top reactions.

But to suggest that Romney can center his campaign on his 'success' at Bain (while ignoring the fact that he was Massachusetts Governor) but somehow his opponent has no right to challenge the assertions made by Romney, goes against the grain of what we believe in.

But the whole idea that someone who is success in a business would make a good president, is suspect. Romney made a lot of money and he did so in ways that were often not good for workers. How that translates into being a good president doesn't translate. The last president who was a business leader was Hoover.

Often a corporate leader gains by hitting the competition. Thus, any employment gains are employment loses to competitors. A president wants overall employment to rise.

In the area most damning to Romney is his complete miss on the GM bailout, a complete U.S. success story. Romney wrote in the New York Times an op-ed titled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt."

Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Cory Booker is close to Wall Street donors and was parroting their over-the-top reactions.

But to suggest that Romney can center his campaign on his 'success' at Bain (while ignoring the fact that he was Massachusetts Governor) but somehow his opponent has no right to challenge the assertions made by Romney, goes against the grain of what we believe in.

But the whole idea that someone who is success in a business would make a good president, is suspect. Romney made a lot of money and he did so in ways that were often not good for workers. How that translates into being a good president doesn't translate. The last president who was a business leader was Hoover.

Often a corporate leader gains by hitting the competition. Thus, any employment gains are employment loses to competitors. A president wants overall employment to rise.

In the area most damning to Romney is his complete miss on the GM bailout, a complete U.S. success story. Romney wrote in the New York Times an op-ed titled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt."

Of course, and, Harold Ford works for Morgan Stanley.
What else would they say?

I will give Mr. Booker credit, though. He did a serviceable job last night on TRMS and I, too, would love to see the GOP "stand with Cory Booker" in Newark or Camden or Paterson as he has invited them to do.

In his own words:
"
Anybody in the GOP who wants to stand with me, please stand with me — stand with me for marriage equality as Barack Obama stands up for, stand with me for not turning back the clock on women in terms of medical issues and other things like Barack Obama is standing, stand with me on making healthcare more accessible, stand with me for making college more affordable, as President Obama is doing.
"

What are the chances?

GOP

Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM

756 posts, read 714,938 times
LOL

This is the issue that will ultimately sink your $boy like the Titanic, dix.

Team BO will bring it up over and over again during the campaign.

$Willard is the puke that fired your Daddy and Uncle Larry ... LOL.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-10-14/politics/30278452_1_photo-attack-ads-memorable-shot#ixzz1gFW1TEwO

Can't wait to see the tears streaming down those $Romney faces when BO sails past that 270 mark on election night...

Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times
Who could have predicted so many democrats would be "nauseated" by obama's attack on business and private equity?

Democrats balk at Obama campaign

Democrats balk at Obama campaign’s sustained attack on Bain Capital

Quote:
While Obama’s team has presumably accepted a possible fundraising backlash from private-equity donors, many congressional Democrats don’t want that well to dry up.

Over the last several weeks, Democratic lawmakers have noted that Obama’s campaign has not yet committed to transferring money to Democratic congressional campaign committees.
In case obama supporters didn't know, this is where a LOT of dem cash comes from.

What does obama have if Bain continues to back fire? A "new" war? A "new" VP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
It would not surprise me if Cory Booker was paid by Republicans to make the comment he did
Hilarious!

No, you know what the problem is? He SPOKE THE TRUTH about private equity and the role it plays in this country...and obama's attacks are basically an attack on capitalism.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,340,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I think you're in the minority, favoring corporate raid venture capitalists who destroy companies, jobs and erode the values which helped to create our middle class. Clearly, those are the vultures the President and so many patriotic Americans have spoken about. Your characterization of the President's position on venture capital is simply a lie.
Capitalism is about risk and reward. Without the possibility of failure there is no risk. Without investment there can be no reward (profits and jobs).

Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,340,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

But the whole idea that someone who is success in a business would make a good president, is suspect. Romney made a lot of money and he did so in ways that were often not good for workers. How that translates into being a good president doesn't translate.
Romney's business experience was to cut the fat from bloated businesses. Does anyone think that is what this government needs. If your answer is no than there is no need for further discussion.

The auto industry DID go bankrupt. They just did it with the government as the bank doing the reorganizing and called it a bailout. But fat was cut. Dealerships were closed, brands were eliminated, workers got cuts in benefits, jobs were lost. Obama forced the fast track of battery cars and the taxpayer got stuck for the bill.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,414,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Once again Obama attacks that with which he has no personal knowledge. Has he ever had to run a business, let alone a successful one?
Answer: He never ran a business, owned a business, worked in a business, or even had a paper route.

And it shows.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times
Oh dear, obama is backing off Bain attacks for now.

Obama takes break from Bain in two new ads - The Washington Post

I'm actually shocked the number of dems that have come out and voiced their displeasure on attacks against an industry that dems depend on for their campaigns.

Democrats balk at Obama campaign

Quote:
Some influential Democrats on and off Capitol Hill are refusing to give President Obama political cover for his attacks on Mitt Romney’s record at Bain Capital.
Sen Coons, Feinstein, the honest Cory Booker (), Gov Rendell, Steve Rattner, Ford, etc. etc.

Quote:
Some Democrats are privately worried that Obama’s effort to highlight Bain will scare off big donors.
You mean demagoguing and attacking business would lead to people in those industries to NOT donate to democrats?

No! You're kidding?

I guess this is something the einsteins in the White House forgot to consider, huh?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:56 PM

756 posts, read 714,938 times
Always great fun talking about $Willard's long career as a jobs and lives-destroyin' "vulture capitalist". Hell, just ask Richard Perry and Newtron Gingrich. Those guys used to love bringing it up during the primaries.

But I wouldn't mind seeing Team BO shift gears for a while and start talking about $Willie's STUNNINGLY WEAK economic and jobs creation record while 'leading' Massachusetts for four years:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/romney-s-massachusetts-job-record-not-as-great-as-he-wants-you-to-think-20120309
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections