Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,020,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
When I was in Vietnam there were brave young Quakers who carried no weapon and had ID Cards marked "NON COMBATANT" who climbed into holes with us and cared for the wounded while we fought.His Cowardice is not the only reason I won't vote for him but it is a disqualifier
Yours is a perfectly fine opinion. Just remember that it is just that: an opinion. Meanwhile many voters are going to approach this election with the "what have you done for me lately" mentality and the actions of the candidates when they were 25 and under are going to be the furthest things from their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 06:48 AM

46,328 posts, read 27,162,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yours is a perfectly fine opinion. Just remember that it is just that: an opinion. Meanwhile many voters are going to approach this election with the "what have you done for me lately" mentality and the actions of the candidates when they were 25 and under are going to be the furthest things from their minds.
Why are you thinking for yourself? Don't you know it does matter that millions of people did not go to Vietnam, at least that's what the left want you to think.....does not matter what they were doing...

See, this is the typical leftist thinking. They have NOTHING else to run on, so they have to find "Stuff" to try to slam Romney, even if they have to go back almost 50 years.....

Old 06-09-2012, 06:54 AM

26,556 posts, read 15,122,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Yeah, I know. It's not like running away to Canada.

And, Democrats were in favor of Draft Dodging.

This is just stupid.
Some liberals wanted to make a national memorial to draft dodgers that ran away to Canada. Seriously.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:02 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,485,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
And what has Obama done as far as defending his country? a bigO
Killing Al Qaeda leaders on a weekly basis. Next question?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,451,940 times
Default Mitt Romney got four deferrals to get out of fighting in Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Rev Al said on his show tonight that mitt got four deferrals to get out of Nam. Now he wants big war with Iran

Mitt Romney defines the term, "chickenhawk."

"Wars are good for rich kids as long as they're fought by poor kids."

Old 06-09-2012, 07:28 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,908,235 times
One very significant reason why this issue of Romney's deferrals is of significance nearly 50 years later has not been mentioned, I don't believe. And that is that his deferrals were to serve his religion first, over his choice to serve his nation.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this. I am not religious. However, I recognize that a person's spiritual commitment is a profound choice ... and I do respect people who stand for their commitments. Including draft dodgers if their reason was truly moral.

That all said, a Commander in Chief absolutely MUST be committed to his nation first, and be prepared and able to set all other personal issues and attachments aside in the decision-making and execution of actions that serve a huge, and hugely diverse, nation -- which nation will include many people with differing spiritual beliefs.

Romney has shown that, at least in his past, with regard to a very serious commitment, he chose serving his religion first. That bears at least fair exploration and discussion.

Now that all said -- he sure isn't going to get a "fair exploration and discussion" about it here on this forum, obviously

Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,689,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I see the right is mad about the truth again
Huh?

The thread topic is bashing Romney.

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,589,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
One very significant reason why this issue of Romney's deferrals is of significance nearly 50 years later has not been mentioned, I don't believe. And that is that his deferrals were to serve his religion first, over his choice to serve his nation.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this. I am not religious. However, I recognize that a person's spiritual commitment is a profound choice ... and I do respect people who stand for their commitments. Including draft dodgers if their reason was truly moral.

That all said, a Commander in Chief absolutely MUST be committed to his nation first, and be prepared and able to set all other personal issues and attachments aside in the decision-making and execution of actions that serve a huge, and hugely diverse, nation -- which nation will include many people with differing spiritual beliefs.

Romney has shown that, at least in his past, with regard to a very serious commitment, he chose serving his religion first. That bears at least fair exploration and discussion.

Now that all said -- he sure isn't going to get a "fair exploration and discussion" about it here on this forum, obviously

A solid point that hasn't been brought up previously. And a valid concern.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,719,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
And what has Obama done as far as defending his country? a bigO
I wasn't aware he was the subject. I didn't vote for him either

Old 06-09-2012, 11:07 AM

26,556 posts, read 15,122,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

Usually liberals argue that religious rights can be protected against a draft or war -- starting with liberal Jeannette Rankin. I guess with Obama in the office, Democrats have been encouraged to flip on a lot of positions and values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections