Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I see the right is mad about the truth again
That is because they know this is an effective issue. I could make a great TV ad out of this issue. Where was Mitt hiding in the 60s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 PM

957 posts, read 759,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Really? How about Bubba?

No one CARES about this.

It's the economy....and obama's RECORD.
As a Vet who served during the VN war & had friends who did not return from VN, I care.
Unlike "Bubba", Mittens cheered on the war & supported the draft. He found time to protest against those who protested against the war & yet was to chicken **** to serve. He's just another chicken hawk who's gun ho about sending others to fight more wars for the rich.
As for the economy. In that the repuqs have fought against all proposals by the President to create jobs, the economy is in their lap. Remember no lip, rat face McConnell's proclamation that his number one priority was to deny President Obama a second term, even if it meant bringing down the country. Only Idiots would blame President Obama for an economy that was brought about by his predecessor.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,957,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
As a Vet who served during the VN war & had friends who did not return from VN, I care.
Unlike "Bubba", Mittens cheered on the war & supported the draft. He found time to protest against those who protested against the war & yet was to chicken **** to serve. He's just another chicken hawk who's gun ho about sending others to fight more wars for the rich.
As for the economy. In that the repuqs have fought against all proposals by the President to create jobs, the economy is in their lap. Remember no lip, rat face McConnell's proclamation that his number one priority was to deny President Obama a second term, even if it meant bringing down the country. Only Idiots would blame President Obama for an economy that was brought about by his predecessor.
That's precisely it.

Bill Clinton didn't think anybody should be dying in Vietnam.
Mitt Romney did -- and he wanted the law to require people to go serve and, inevitably in some cases, die. Other people, of course. Not him.

I guess Mitt had 'other priorities', too.

"I had other priorities in the 60s than military service."
--Dick Cheney

Newsflash, Mitt and Dick -- every draftee who got shipped to Southeast Asia had other priorities, too. Conveniently, you two supported laws forcing those draftees to serve -- laws you two had the means to avoid. The fact that you did so legally doesn't mean you're not morally culpable hypocrites.

Oh, and what were Mitt Romney's pressing priorities? Living in Paris, trying to convince the French that Joseph Smith was a prophet. Nice priorities, Mitt...

Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
Anyone tried to get out of going to Vietnam. Only those who had no alternatives went. I remember the lottery system....and they called the numbers during the nightly news....you had to live during that time...no one can judge him on that....

Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Only those who had no alternatives went...
Umm... That's NOT true. It's called enlistment.

Saying only those with no alternatives went is doing a HUGE disservice (and is a slap in the face) to those men and women who enlisted knowing they would be sent to Vietnam.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,997,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Please tell the class what a deferral is and why they're given. Thanks.

Deferrals were given for having a strongly held religious belief in the immorality of war, or considered it a sin to kill or pacificism. You also could get a deferment if you did mission work, were a religious leader or a minister or priest or monk.( the Mittster could have taken one of these) You also got them for mental or physical disability or if you were a convicted felon (People who got this one include Rushbo and Arlo Gutherie) . Another ground was you were a student in a higher school because virtually all majors were considered national security related.(Romney coul have taken this one too) There was a deferment for people who were married (a real incntive for getting hitched the earliest moment you could (Leroy Newton Gingrich married his high school teacher the days after graduation, Dick Cheney took this way out as well). There was the old man deferral. If your Dad or Grandaddy had some pull with the Draft Board (Draft Boards were local and made up of distinguished citizens in you community) one could be arrainged for no reason at all as a courtesy by the Board. If you served in ROTC (You just didn't take the ROTC schoarship and bailed out or washed out before it was too late) Guard or Reserves that kept you out of the Draft ad often got you a nice state side slot like Dan Quayle or George W Bush.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,907,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Anyone tried to get out of going to Vietnam. Only those who had no alternatives went. I remember the lottery system....and they called the numbers during the nightly news....you had to live during that time...no one can judge him on that....
Well, I enlisted at 17 in 1966 ... and volunteered specifically for a hazardous duty specialty and volunteered to go to Vietnam.

Got what I asked for too.
Was home from my first tour before my 19th birthday.
Three I served with came home in boxes ... and two of my pilots are still there unrecovered.

But I'll tell you one duty I'd never volunteer for: President of the United States.
Just plain haven't got the sack for it myself.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,461,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Obama is a war monger with his "kill list" and drones, never was in the military, and you're b^tchin' about Romney?

Bill Clinton avoided Vietnam as well as big talkin' Al Sharpton.

This kind of talk ain't going to get Obama re-elected.
Yeppers!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,531,525 times
Mitt Romney got four deferrals to get out of fighting in Vietnam

So??? McCain was a war hero---what good did that do him when he ran for president. By the way, where was Rev. Al during the Vietman War?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,129,026 times
The deferrals were:

Minister of religion and Missionary Work, and academic deferrments.

He then drew a high lottery number in the draft lottery after the deferrments ran out.

So, Mittens didn't serve partially because of deferrments, and partially because he was one lucky s.o.b.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections