Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,778 times

Advertisements

Great news for the democrats and freedom indeed! The election has now been called for Barber (D) in the AZ-8 congressional special election whom is +8 at the moment.

This was another election that pitted out of state, big corporate interest groups like Rove, Dick Armey, and the radical right wing freedomworks for the (R) Kelly vs. in state, small donations for the democrat Barber.

This is also important on the national level with AZ teetering on becoming a swing state, putting Obama strongly in the hunt to win.

Last edited by TempesT68; 06-12-2012 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,360 times
So a dem replaced a dem with a sympathy vote and you think it means something special as though AZ now loves obama? OK...

Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Sorry Ed- your laundry didn't wash.
Kelly was ahead until very recently. The wing nuts running Arizona thought he would be a sure thing.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Great news for the democrats and freedom indeed! The election has now been called for Barber (D) in the AZ-8 congressional special election whom is +8 at the moment.

This was another election that pitted out of state, big corporate interest groups like Rove, Dick Armey, and the radical right wing freedomworks for the (R) Kelly vs. in state, small donations for the democrat Barber.

This is also important on the national level with AZ teetering on becoming a swing state, putting Obama strongly in the hunt to win.

Karl Rove and Dick Armey and his Freedom Works crazies are not exactly in the same camp. Truth be told I am pretty sure Karl Rove can't stand them as much as you can't.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Karl Rove and Dick Armey and his Freedom Works crazies are not exactly in the same camp. Truth be told I am pretty sure Karl Rove can't stand them as much as you can't.
Rove is hard right while Armney and freedomworks are off the charts right. Though in the end still have the same agenda, and lost in this election

Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Republican special interests threw a lot of money toward Kelly trying to embarrass Obama with a victory here. They failed. But I think you are trying to make too much of it by inferring that it has much in the way of implications for the presidential election. If anything, it was a testing ground for advertising approaches in the fall. The Dems successfully emphasized the extremism of the Republican candidate while the Reps bad-mouthed the ACA and Obama. Maybe people, especially the elderly, are catching on to what the Republicans have planned for them should they prevail this fall.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Republican special interests threw a lot of money toward Kelly trying to embarrass Obama with a victory here. They failed. But I think you are trying to make too much of it by inferring that it has much in the way of implications for the presidential election. If anything, it was a testing ground for advertising approaches in the fall. The Dems successfully emphasized the extremism of the Republican candidate while the Reps bad-mouthed the ACA and Obama. Maybe people, especially the elderly, are catching on to what the Republicans have planned for them should they prevail this fall.
I doubt what you are saying has much to do with Kelly's defeat. Regardless of who was ahead in the polls even a few days ago, you are talking about a Dem rreplacing another Democrat, you are talking about sympathy voting (which any of us might do) and the only time this would have made a huge difference would be had Kelly won. This wasn't a victory or failure for either side.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I doubt what you are saying has much to do with Kelly's defeat. Regardless of who was ahead in the polls even a few days ago, you are talking about a Dem rreplacing another Democrat, you are talking about sympathy voting (which any of us might do) and the only time this would have made a huge difference would be had Kelly won. This wasn't a victory or failure for either side.
Try to belittle it as you will, this is a huge victory for the DEMS.
Just goes to show that people are starting to realise how crazy the right is.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
More money was spent for Barber I believe, I believe even if you add in the money spent by outside groups (and, don't forget, outside groups spent some money to help Barber as well). Furthermore, Kelly got plenty of small donations himself.

Quote:
AZ is not a swing state. This is one district in the state that is a swing district and, obviously, it's more Democratic than the state as a whole. Giffords was even able to re-elected even in the 2010 Republican wave.

It looks like Barber ended up winning the election by only 6 points. There was one poll I'm aware of done for this race - a PPP poll that had Barber up by 12.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...ase_AZ_611.pdf

Even in this poll (that significantly oversampled Democrats), Obama's approval in the district is only 44%. Unless something significant changes, Obama will not win this district - which is more Democratic than the state of AZ as a whole.

The last AZ statewide poll for the presidential election that I'm aware of was also a PPP poll. Even PPP had Romney up by 7:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...SAZ_052312.pdf

PPP has constantly oversampled Democrats in its state polling this election cycle and put out polls far more favorable to Democrats than the vast majority of other polls conducted in the same states around the same time.

Obama's statewide approval in this poll was 41%.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-13-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
So a dem replaced a dem with a sympathy vote and you think it means something special as though AZ now loves obama? OK...
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sorry Ed- your laundry didn't wash.
Kelly was ahead until very recently. The wing nuts running Arizona thought he would be a sure thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Try to belittle it as you will, this is a huge victory for the DEMS.
Just goes to show that people are starting to realise how crazy the right is.
It was a sympathy vote. Plain and simple. If I had lived in that district, I would have felt guilty for voting for Kelly (and I would have voted for him in 2010 and for previous Republican candidates in previous elections for the seat). Not to mention that Giffords is a moderate Democrat and I'm sure people think that Barber is as well. The district is pretty well mixed between Democratic voters and Republican voters - probably a lot of moderate voters.

As far as this idea that Kelly was ahead in the polls, he wasn't. I'm aware of one single poll. It was conducted in the past few days and had Barber up by 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections