Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:27 PM

13,875 posts, read 9,811,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If Nate Silver is your guide you may want to start panicking, somewhat. Obama has only a 13 electoral vote cushion according to Nate's "Now-cast".

Election Forecast: Obama Begins With Tenuous Advantage - NYTimes.com
I still wouldn't panic until he was actually down. Nationally Obama is neck and neck with Romney, but the state by state picture looks good for Obama. I really wouldn't panic anyway, though. I will vote for Obama, but would be fine with Romney winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,068,348 times
Quote:
That's one reason why I don't view Obama's latest stunt so negatively. It smells of desperation. The internal polls must be showing something dire. Bringing out this faux amnesty this early in the process. I wonder what he;ll do next? Refuse to enforce marijuana laws to stimulate the youth vote?

I said this early on Obama's strategy of building some sort of rainbow coalition while ignoring the white working class is a losing one. So maybe you squeak out victories in Nevada and Colorado. What good does that do if you lose OH and/or PA, WI and god forbid Michigan. Heck even Oregon maybe in play.
Oh, you bet. He's trying to shore up his fractured base of 2008 - blacks, gays, leftists, women, hispanics, youth......all demographics are lower for obama than in 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Sort of the same as Republicans running around whining and blaming Obama for the economic mess they created in the 2000's or whining about Obamacare when it's a law of Republican origin that was passed by the Republican Presidential candidate or whining about.

All of you lot are no different than the people you're casting down here. Just whiny, emotional, partisans of a different sort. You're just as bad as those on the left about whom you're complaining.
There is no R presidential candidate that ever took over the nation's health care system.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,403,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I still wouldn't panic until he was actually down. Nationally Obama is neck and neck with Romney, but the state by state picture looks good for Obama. I really wouldn't panic anyway, though. I will vote for Obama, but would be fine with Romney winning.
Even if you don't find Romney personably objectionable (like I do), I don't see how you can be "fine" with him being president. Romney is the Trojan Horse that all the RW crazies are hiding in.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Even if you don't find Romney personably objectionable (like I do), I don't see how you can be "fine" with him being president. Romney is the Trojan Horse that all the RW crazies are hiding in.
I think Romney is faking it. Romney will say anything to get elected, which I don't like, but that's just his thing. Romney will be more George H.W. Bush, than George W. Bush.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,908,690 times
Quote:
That's one reason why I don't view Obama's latest stunt so negatively. It smells of desperation. The internal polls must be showing something dire. Bringing out this faux amnesty this early in the process. I wonder what he;ll do next? Refuse to enforce marijuana laws to stimulate the youth vote?

I said this early on Obama's strategy of building some sort of rainbow coalition while ignoring the white working class is a losing one. So maybe you squeak out victories in Nevada and Colorado. What good does that do if you lose OH and/or PA, WI and god forbid Michigan. Heck even Oregon maybe in play.
It does smell of desperation. Did their internal polls show that Americans have had it with all the unemployment, job giveaways, promises of new and more taxes that Obama feels the need to throw the American voters under the bus and just rely on the hispanic illegal votes? For one, Obama already had the hispanic illegal vote -- 70% of hispanics will vote democrat no matter what, just as 90% blacks will vote democrat no matter what. Those aren't swing voting populations.

The hispanics are drunk with euphoria right now, they believe they've made a very big win with this amnesty and the 800,000 work visas but little do they realize that there are not 800,000 good paying jobs out there. In November, what if the 30 year old illegal with his new work visa in hand realizes he's still picking lettuce for $3 an hour?

800,000 new visas with only 69,000 new jobs in May ---- stupid.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,484,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I think Romney is faking it. Romney will say anything to get elected, which I don't like, but that's just his thing. Romney will be more George H.W. Bush, than George W. Bush.
Curious do you find Obama authentic? I mean these past few months we've witness pretty blatant pandering coming from Obama.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:47 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,419,715 times
The middle decides the elections. Ignoring laws is not the way you get the middle vote for you.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,304,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Sort of the same as Republicans running around whining and blaming Obama for the economic mess they created in the 2000's or whining about Obamacare when it's a law of Republican origin that was passed by the Republican Presidential candidate or whining about.

All of you lot are no different than the people you're casting down here. Just whiny, emotional, partisans of a different sort. You're just as bad as those on the left about whom you're complaining.
If Republicans liked Obamacare when it was originally proposed, it would be the law, but as it stands.. WE DIDNT LIKE IT THEN, so why do you expect us to like it now?

Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Curious do you find Obama authentic? I mean these past few months we've witness pretty blatant pandering coming from Obama.
I don't find many politicians authentic, that's extremely rare. Obama hasn't been on every side of every major issue, so although I wouldn't call him totally authentic, I would say he's more authentic than Romney.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The middle decides the elections. Ignoring laws is not the way you get the middle vote for you.
Neither does privatizing Medicare and passing more tax cuts for rich folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections