Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Republicans were pro-deficit Bush and Reagan. Deficit cutting is now the party's ideology under Obama. Massachusetts’ state spending rose on Romney’s watch, especially in his final fiscal year 2007 budget, which proposed a 10 percent spending increase over fiscal year 2006.

Spending Went Up and Down in Massachusetts Under Romney | CNSNews.com

Get real. Remember those famous words, "Deficits don't matter?"

Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Republicans were pro-deficit Bush and Reagan. Deficit cutting is now the party's ideology under Obama. Massachusetts’ state spending rose on Romney’s watch, especially in his final fiscal year 2007 budget, which proposed a 10 percent spending increase over fiscal year 2006.

Spending Went Up and Down in Massachusetts Under Romney | CNSNews.com

Get real. Remember those famous words, "Deficits don't matter?"
I read the title of this thread and my immediate reaction was: HA HA HA! Good one, 70Ford!

Oh, you're serious?

Well then, surely you know that Cheney's declaration that deficits don't matter only applies when a Republican is in the White House. I mean, ask any Republican on this board and that's what they'll tell you. In fact, I predict a slew of them will be along in this thread any minute now to reiterate that GOP "truth".

Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think a Republican president and a Republican congress would practice austerity?

No, I don't. And I think the history of the last 50 years has taught us that GOP Presidents, in addition to being war mongers, are inclined to spend, spend, spend ... and cut taxes for the wealthy ... leaving our nation weaker and almost in financial ruin. Voodoo economics. That's how the first President Bush described some of the bad GOP behavior. A GOP controlled Congress will just add more pain and suffering.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
We'll find out soon enough!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
If they were doctors this current crop of House Republicans would treat a person with a wart on his hand by cutting off the hand a person without warts.

A Republican President and Congress will attempt to remove every social service and program that they don't personally benefit from but won't do squat about the deficit and debt.
EPA, infrastructure, social services, HUD, etc... gone or wrecked. Defense spending, tax subsidies to private business, deeper top tier tax cuts, etc... expanded. They will expand spending on the things that benefit them and their donors while putting the burden on the people who voted them into office.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I read the title of this thread and my immediate reaction was: HA HA HA! Good one, 70Ford!

Oh, you're serious?

Well then, surely you know that Cheney's declaration that deficits don't matter only applies when a Republican is in the White House. I mean, ask any Republican on this board and that's what they'll tell you. In fact, I predict a slew of them will be along in this thread any minute now to reiterate that GOP "truth".
If deficits matter, then you must be completely outraged over the fact that Obamas deficits are 5-10X as large as Bushs.

ooh wait, you arent upset?

Ok, maybe you'll respond with the fact that deficits dont matter, provided they are used to grow the economy, and thus generate increased tax revenues.

Oooh wait, the economy isnt growing?

Why then exactly do you sit here and pretend to be outraged over a Republican administration, who's policies actually DID increase the economy at 1/5th the cost, but not a peep over a Democratic one, who's trillion dollar deficits result in ZERO?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
If they were doctors this current crop of House Republicans would treat a person with a wart on his hand by cutting off the hand a person without warts.
Since Democratic deficits are 10x worse, I guess this means that Democrats would just execute the individual.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If deficits matter, then you must be completely outraged over the fact that Obamas deficits are 5-10X as large as Bushs.

ooh wait, you arent upset?

Ok, maybe you'll respond with the fact that deficits dont matter, provided they are used to grow the economy, and thus generate increased tax revenues.

Oooh wait, the economy isnt growing?

Why then exactly do you sit here and pretend to be outraged over a Republican administration, who's policies actually DID increase the economy, but not a peep over a Democratic one, who's trillion dollar deficits result in ZERO?
And the revisionist history begins...

Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And the revisionist history begins.
Except I didnt post one fact that wasnt true..

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-25-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
The Republicans are far from perfect on deficit spending, but I'll look at 2 things. #1 When Democrats control both houses of congress they deficit spend at rates of about 4 times that of when Republicans control both houses of congress. Remember the 1994 Contract with America? That was the GOP. #2 One party seems to be acting more like an adult on the fiscal issues of the day, while the Democrats in the Senate don't even want to put their budget on paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections