Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Thats weird, we still have over 8% unemployment.......People and companies still arent confident and the economy is still stuck.

But go ahead, run around and tout your numbers. The facts are, the jobs arent here and the economy isnt recovering

Amen. 42 straigh months with unemployment above 8, and the last unemployment report issued before the Community Organizer took the reins had an unemployment rate 1.5 percent better than todays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,246,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
And it took over 30 years of unrestrained capitalism to move the jobs overseas.
It was NOT capitalism that sent our jobs overseas.

It was the catastrophe of "FREE TRADE" and "GLOBALIZATION" -- and until we stop those nation-destroying experiments, we'll continue to degrade into starving slaves versus the ultra-rich served by the upper class of government bureaucrats.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,226,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
It was NOT capitalism that sent our jobs overseas.

It was the catastrophe of "FREE TRADE" and "GLOBALIZATION" -- and until we stop those nation-destroying experiments, we'll continue to degrade into starving slaves versus the ultra-rich served by the upper class of government bureaucrats.
That is why I support fair trade markets, it increases the cost of things shipped into the country, but it also makes it easier to compete and create jobs within our country. I would love to see our country get back to the world of making things rather than just consuming things.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,654,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Under Obama Taxes Reach Lowest Level Since Truman - Robert Schlesinger (usnews.com)

Slowing elminating "big government" jobs and lowest tax rates since 1950?
Sersiously, Obama? It's almost like your anti-business and Socalist money grabbing schemes aren't working. From what I've been reading, this is utter fail. The country should be in flames right now, with much weeping and gnashing of teeth.
My mother said that Truman is the worst president in her lifetime. Wonder what she would say about this one?? Not much do I wonder. My mother was a very indepentent thinking woman. She could have qualified for some of the government programs, but her thought was that as long as she could live without government handouts, she was just fine. My parents did not believe in going into debt for anything. Save up first and then buy was their way of doing things.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,226,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My mother said that Truman is the worst president in her lifetime. Wonder what she would say about this one?? Not much do I wonder. My mother was a very indepentent thinking woman. She could have qualified for some of the government programs, but her thought was that as long as she could live without government handouts, she was just fine. My parents did not believe in going into debt for anything. Save up first and then buy was their way of doing things.
That is a good rule to live by, I have a small amount of debt that is bothering me because it is too much, but when you compare it to others, it is a fraction of what most people have to deal with. I have always though that credit, debt, and balancing income should be an actual class that everyone in school must take a few times over the course of K-12. We could use some better money management courses in our school system.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,767,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Cool story bro! Too bad most historians would disagree with her re: Truman.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,775,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Thats weird, we still have over 8% unemployment.......People and companies still arent confident and the economy is still stuck.

But go ahead, run around and tout your numbers. The facts are, the jobs arent here and the economy isnt recovering
By this, you demonstrate you have no ability to read a graph. Total employment has two factors: private and public. Private has fully recovered, but public continues to lose jobs, hence high unemployment. Stop the axe job on the public sector and the public line returns to zero and the private sector (who sell the things the public sectors employees buy) accelerates into positive territory. The only reason we are now in negative territory is because of public cuts. But no, the GOP model is to axe the public jobs more and blame the whole thing on Obama. I honestly don't know if that is just complete sleaze or pure stupidity, or some mixture of the two. Now, it the graphs were reversed, and public sector were ballooning and the private sector tanking, all the GOP would be raging, but now they just obfuscate.

This link compares Obama to Bush, who apparently was much more of a big government guy than Mr. O:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...ord/?mobile=nc

70Ford, this is very encouraging. I have been watching housing, with finally bottomed this year. That was like kryptonite for personal wealth, and with those drops behind us, and this recovery in private employment, it really just depends upon an uptick in government hiring (retirement replacements at least) and the wealth effect of home appreciation, and I think we will accelerate out of this hole. I think it will start next year no matter who is in the White House, but if it is Romney, the mouth breathers will somehow try to claim it is his doing, when it was just the slow alignment of several huge factors. I hope it is Obama, because his presidency really has been hosed. With a better economy, I wonder what good things we could do.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 08-21-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,775,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Amen. 42 straigh months with unemployment above 8, and the last unemployment report issued before the Community Organizer took the reins had an unemployment rate 1.5 percent better than todays.
And this is directly due to Obama, right? You folks are amazing.

If an asteroid were to strike Cleveland, that would be Obama's doing too, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections