Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,093,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Why would seniors want a choice between Medicare and Ryan's plan? Ryan's plan is going to cost them a lot more money out of pocket.
Do you understand your question? Ryans plan is for those under 55, can eitehr stay on Medicare, or take a voucher and choose from a different plan? I would want that, as this will apply to me.
If I can purchase a plan that is less than the voucer, Ic ome out ahead. If I think I will loose money, then I will stay on Medicare. If Market forces work, the competition between plans will lower premiums, and potentially Govt outlays. The worse that could happen, I would swithc back to Medicare. That to me, is a great option. Simply to say, we go the same direction without trying to bend the coist curve is nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:23 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,783,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Do you understand your question? Ryans plan is for those under 55, can eitehr stay on Medicare, or take a voucher and choose from a different plan? I would want that, as this will apply to me.
If I can purchase a plan that is less than the voucer, Ic ome out ahead. If I think I will loose money, then I will stay on Medicare. If Market forces work, the competition between plans will lower premiums, and potentially Govt outlays. The worse that could happen, I would swithc back to Medicare. That to me, is a great option. Simply to say, we go the same direction without trying to bend the coist curve is nuts.
Yes, I understand my own question. Do you?

Why would senior citizens choose an option that made them pay more out of pocket? That's just a dumb choice to pose to seniors.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,015,700 times
Quote:
So your answer is, big brother needs to make it for you? No, not good enough. 300+ million people, and we have to be treated all the same. There should be choice, choice is more important than mandates...
I realize there are uneductated, but the rest of us should not be penalized...
Your point is well taken. there should be choice, but the Ryan voucher funds will not cover the healthcare costs when we retire. It's very cynical to exclude the current retirees from the plan to reduce the benefits, since they know that those ppl vote in high numbers.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand my own question. Do you?

Why would senior citizens choose an option that made them pay more out of pocket? That's just a dumb choice to pose to seniors.
Obviously you don't...Seniors just as easily will not pay more of pocket. The original x amount Obama acolytes quote is based on the fact that the CBO does not estimate that market forces would lower premiums. Other reputable sources suggest different. Look at examples where there is competion. Through the use of competitive bidding seniors could choose one of these plans or Medicare. If, like some economist predict, that mkt prices can bring down costs due to insurers offering competitive plans, than it is a good thing. Again, the worse scenario is that folks choose to stay on Medicare.

So, I doubt your ascertion that seniors would loose money, and it seems like an effort worthwhile. Plus, many of us like the option of choice, instead of a one size fits all solution. Tell me why that is bad?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Your point is well taken. there should be choice, but the Ryan voucher funds will not cover the healthcare costs when we retire. It's very cynical to exclude the current retirees from the plan to reduce the benefits, since they know that those ppl vote in high numbers.
I dispute that..at least from what I have read..

Seniors just as easily will not pay more of pocket. The original x amount Obama acolytes quote is based on the fact that the CBO does not estimate that market forces would lower premiums. Other reputable sources suggest different. Look at examples where there is competion. Through the use of competitive bidding seniors could choose one of these plans or Medicare. If, like some economist predict, that mkt prices can bring down costs due to insurers offering competitive plans, than it is a good thing. Again, the worse scenario is that folks choose to stay on Medicare.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,783,660 times
Quote:
Obviously you don't...Seniors just as easily will not pay more of pocket. The original x amount Obama acolytes quote is based on the fact that the CBO does not estimate that market forces would lower premiums. Other reputable sources suggest different. Look at examples where there is competion. Through the use of competitive bidding seniors could choose one of these plans or Medicare. If, like some economist predict, that mkt prices can bring down costs due to insurers offering competitive plans, than it is a good thing. Again, the worse scenario is that folks choose to stay on Medicare.

So, I doubt your ascertion that seniors would loose money, and it seems like an effort worthwhile. Plus, many of us like the option of choice, instead of a one size fits all solution. Tell me why that is bad?
Where is this demand for other options to choice from instead of Medicare? Seniors love Medicare and want to see it stay and improved. There's a reason why Romney and Ryan are scared to ask current senior citizens to try their voucher system.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
I dispute that..at least from what I have read..

Seniors just as easily will not pay more of pocket. The original x amount Obama acolytes quote is based on the fact that the CBO does not estimate that market forces would lower premiums. Other reputable sources suggest different. Look at examples where there is competion. Through the use of competitive bidding seniors could choose one of these plans or Medicare. If, like some economist predict, that mkt prices can bring down costs due to insurers offering competitive plans, than it is a good thing. Again, the worse scenario is that folks choose to stay on Medicare.
No, you misunderstand how diabolically this plan is being presented. Medicare is not a "free option". You don't just get it free as a default or no one would go anywhere else. Medicare is better than any private plan people have now (just ask your mama). You won't be able to afford Medicare coverage with the 6K voucher. Like every other plan, you will have to pony up with the actual cost which is estimated to be 2 to 3 times the voucher amount for Medicare. Also, current Medicare covers prescriptions. Ryancare does not even in Medicare.

As others keep pointing out and the right keeps dodging, there is a very good reason that the RyanCare plan is not being foisted on current and older middle lifers. It sucks and no one with a brain and a calculator would willingly give up Medicare for a voucher. Those folks vote in large numbers and doing so would be political suicide. When midlifers realize how sinister this scheme is, it may be political murder for the Republican party.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Where is this demand for other options to choice from instead of Medicare? Seniors love Medicare and want to see it stay and improved. There's a reason why Romney and Ryan are scared to ask current senior citizens to try their voucher system.
Again, I and many others in the 40-50 age group want a choice. I also realize we have to find ways to cut costs. Cutting costs through Govt price controls is a bad idea, and demand can be changed by having users of services have less option to services or pay more out of pocket. I think a combination of things must be tried. If we allow greater competition, there should be efficiencies of service offerings by the private sector to lower premiums.

It may be scarier to seniors as they are closer to end of life, or it is also a practic matter, as to changte into a new system will take years to implement. Just look at moving form ICD9 to ICD10 in the medical coding world, it is taking forever due to administrative in efficiences.

There is lots of demand and need, what is the problem is giving folks a choice? If they all choose Medicare then we go back to the drawing board.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,967,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, you misunderstand how diabolically this plan is being presented. Medicare is not a "free option". You don't just get it free as a default or no one would go anywhere else. Medicare is better than any private plan people have now (just ask your mama). You won't be able to afford Medicare coverage with the 6K voucher. Like every other plan, you will have to pony up with the actual cost which is estimated to be 2 to 3 times the voucher amount for Medicare. Also, current Medicare covers prescriptions. Ryancare does not even in Medicare.
As with any snake oil salesman, the boy wonder tries to confuse the customer in order to sell his product, which isn't as good as the product that already is available.

"It gives you options." "You have a choice." "It saves money."

It's all lies to reach the underhanded goal -- a goal the GOP has had for decades -- undermining Medicare. They didn't want it in 1965 and they have been trying to kill it ever since.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Hello Mcfly, one can switch back to Medicare if they are not happy with a privatre plan under the Ryan plan. Go do some reading. Market competition will help lower costs, the CBO did not estiamte cost savings on the inital plan, and this silly 6K number your quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections