Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:41 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,413,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
This should not be a problem at all given the fact that you need a photo id, "dna sample," to do so many things in life. Companies now look at your Facebook page, your Credit Report, etc. before hiring you..........and yet, requiring a photo ID to vote is somehow "invasive / divisive / Republican / peoplehaterish / fill in the blank".
Having a photo id can be prohibitive for some people. I do volunteer work for some less fortunate people and groups. One person I came in contact with and am trying to help has the problem of his drivers license expiring and needs to have it renewed in Florida. To get a drivers license in Florida renewed one must have a birth certificate or a passport for proof that you are who you say you are. This man was born in North Carolina. Therefore he has contacted the NC bureau of vital statistics to obtain a certified copy of his birth certificate. The COST for that is minimum $50.00 with the delivery date being one to two months, or $70.00 to get an expedited delivery of within one week. This gentleman certainly does not have $50.00 to spare, much less $70.00. However, to complicate things he had a name change about 6 or 8 years ago. In order to get his birth certificate he has to provide proof of that name change. He and I went to the local courthouse to get a copy of the order changing his name, and, well, amazingly they seem to have lost it. In their "computer system" there is a case number for the name change, but nothing else was scanned into the system when they automated everything. So some people in the clerk's office are looking for the file which should have the order in it, but so far can't find it! Admittedly, this is a complicated case, but, the bottom line is if this mess can't get straightened out before election date in November, this man won't be able to vote. Also, this man has been a licensed driver in Florida for many years, but because of changes in the law, supposedly for DHS requiring proof of ID in order to get a renewed license, this is creating a huge hurdle for this citizen to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,413,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
But OP, then you won't be allowed to vote anymore!!

Seriously, what kind of a thread is this? Are you not aware of the history of your own country, and how literacy tests were once used at a pretext to prevent African Americans from voting? Do you not realize that there are so many people would consider YOU ineligible to vote based on the idiotic nature of this thread? I'm glad you have no real power, other than your own vote.

I've worked as a pollworker, and I was impressed and proud of our system, and of the efforts pollworkers (who are mostly retired old ladies) make to be fair and run the show in a competent manner. Thank you pollworkers of America, including OP I guess!!
Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:52 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,824,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
But OP, then you won't be allowed to vote anymore!!

Seriously, what kind of a thread is this? Are you not aware of the history of your own country, and how literacy tests were once used at a pretext to prevent African Americans from voting? Do you not realize that there are so many people who would consider YOU ineligible to vote based on the idiotic nature of this thread? I'm glad you have no real power, other than your own vote.

I've worked as a pollworker, and I was impressed and proud of our system, and of the efforts pollworkers (who are mostly retired old ladies) make to be fair and run the show in a competent manner. Thank you pollworkers of America, including OP I guess!!
Quote:
Wow!! Overwrought and Overthunk by our..............Educators?! THIS is what I'm sending my kid INTO?!! This IS ALARMING................What Has Happened To America??
Quote:
zimar, you don't get it and................................
Quote:
Yea......I'm "allowed" to vote.............I'm 53. I have skin tags I want to get rid of. My teeth are yellow and imperfect. My feet don't feel too good when I get up in the morning and I believe I have arthritis in my right elbow.

READ my initial posts.....................and then regroup and rethink.
Quote:
HONESTLY....................SERIOUSLY ONE OF THE DUMBER BEYOND DUMB RESPONSES EVER! "Spoken" in my 15 year-old girlie voice.

I think I broke this person.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM

970 posts, read 1,874,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Having a photo id can be prohibitive for some people. I do volunteer work for some less fortunate people and groups. One person I came in contact with and am trying to help has the problem of his drivers license expiring and needs to have it renewed in Florida. To get a drivers license in Florida renewed one must have a birth certificate or a passport for proof that you are who you say you are. This man was born in North Carolina. Therefore he has contacted the NC bureau of vital statistics to obtain a certified copy of his birth certificate. The COST for that is minimum $50.00 with the delivery date being one to two months, or $70.00 to get an expedited delivery of within one week. This gentleman certainly does not have $50.00 to spare, much less $70.00. However, to complicate things he had a name change about 6 or 8 years ago. In order to get his birth certificate he has to provide proof of that name change. He and I went to the local courthouse to get a copy of the order changing his name, and, well, amazingly they seem to have lost it. In their "computer system" there is a case number for the name change, but nothing else was scanned into the system when they automated everything. So some people in the clerk's office are looking for the file which should have the order in it, but so far can't find it! Admittedly, this is a complicated case, but, the bottom line is if this mess can't get straightened out before election date in November, this man won't be able to vote. Also, this man has been a licensed driver in Florida for many years, but because of changes in the law, supposedly for DHS requiring proof of ID in order to get a renewed license, this is creating a huge hurdle for this citizen to vote.
I think you have a cat............'nuf said.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM

Ahhhh........finally.............I put the batteries in the right way.......jiggered them around a little, and now I'm back up to speed.

Um, Zimar..............I'm not "broke" yet.

For all you folks who don't get the gist of my title.............well, get the gist of my title.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,824,130 times
Quote:
I think you have a cat............'nuf said.
Yes, having A CAT definitely makes you crazier than people who post crazy things (^^^) on the internet.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,165,482 times
Quote:
I worked an election for the first time earlier this year. It was Disturbing! We're gone as a nation if this is what we have to deal with. People had no idea what they were voting for or why. That was just a primary.

A) You should be sober, coherent, and able to read English without help.
B) You should be able to follow directions without help. How old are you?!
C) You should understand why you are there and what you are doing. Know all the issues.....not just your own little personal "bugaboo"............this is the future of our nation NOT the future of ex: abortion.

On a brighter note, not having a picture ID didn't "seem" to be a problem..........but, then again, this was just a primary.
The reasons why someone is voting is none of your business. Voters shouldn't have to justify themselves to you or anyone else.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Mmhmmm, girlfriend! Don't be lookin' over my shoulder when I'm vote'n for Mittny.

Last edited by N. Olikee; 09-09-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,168,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Does this person have a Social Security number?

Register to Vote - Florida Division of Elections - Department of State

Quote:
Provide your current and valid Florida driver’s license number or Florida identification card number. If you do not have a Florida driver’s license number or a Florida identification card number then you must provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number. If you do not have any of these items, you must write “none” in the box or field.
If not, why not?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,168,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
The reasons why someone is voting is none of your business. Voters shouldn't have to justify themselves to you or anyone else.

Not even to the New Black Panther Party guarding polling places with billy clubs? Oh, that's good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections