Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 AM

177 posts, read 198,124 times

Advertisements

Despite my Libertarian views, I was planning to vote for Obama, since He's only in for another 4 years whereby Romney who is no better(in some ways worse) could be in for 8 years if he gets in. However, after reading up on Gary Johnson and his experience as governor of New Mexico, I'm planning to vote for him. He's the only one with executive experience with a proven track record of balanced budgets. I'm hoping he catches on, as he's the only viable alternative to that Joe Isuzu character at the top of the Republican Ticket.

I know there are going to be posts suggesting that a third party vote is a wasted vote but that line of reasoning is why the two major parties have managed to have such an unfettered monopoly on our political process and why more of our rights get eroded with each election cycle.

If nothing else, drawing votes away from the Republicans would send the message that being like the Democrats is not going to be tolerated. These Republicans who plan to vote for Romney because of the (R) next to his name are only fooling themselves if they think Romney is any better than Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 02:29 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Sorry, Reg...
The Republicans have been ignoring 3rd party messages for quite a while now, and will continue to do so.

Vote as you will, but if you want to send a message, write your Congressman. That one works.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,183,445 times
Gary Johnson is a breath of fresh air in politics.

Quote:
However, after reading up on Gary Johnson and his experience as governor of New Mexico, I'm planning to vote for him. He's the only one with executive experience with a proven track record of balanced budgets.
I was in NM a lot on business back when he was governor and he seemed pretty competent and no-nonsense. I liked him. Didnt particularly agree with his politics but I thought he was a straight-shooter.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:07 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,940,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegQ View Post
Despite my Libertarian views, I was planning to vote for Obama, since He's only in for another 4 years whereby Romney who is no better(in some ways worse) could be in for 8 years if he gets in. However, after reading up on Gary Johnson and his experience as governor of New Mexico, I'm planning to vote for him. He's the only one with executive experience with a proven track record of balanced budgets. I'm hoping he catches on, as he's the only viable alternative to that Joe Isuzu character at the top of the Republican Ticket.

I know there are going to be posts suggesting that a third party vote is a wasted vote but that line of reasoning is why the two major parties have managed to have such an unfettered monopoly on our political process and why more of our rights get eroded with each election cycle.

If nothing else, drawing votes away from the Republicans would send the message that being like the Democrats is not going to be tolerated. These Republicans who plan to vote for Romney because of the (R) next to his name are only fooling themselves if they think Romney is any better than Obama.
Our system is completely owned. No 3rd party really has a chance.

However, even if no one votes they can make those machines crank out just enough votes for the preferred candidate quite easily.

Voting is for yourself. Vote for who you want.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:13 PM

1,403 posts, read 938,828 times
Voting for Johnson as well. I don't care for his Humanitarian war stance or his undying love for Israel but its not enough to make me not vote for him.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,839,557 times
Pass the ganja please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections