Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,974 times

Advertisements

I find the childish name-calling by supporters on both sides of the campaign to be rather indicative of the depth of political discourse in modern America. Naturally, people use these names in a pitiful attempt to discredit the candidate they don't support and to make said candidate seem inept; it saves from having to actually defend their candidate with facts and actions and having to foster actual, grown-up debate. In other words: It's lazy.
Mittens? NoBama? *******s / Contards? I mean, c'mon, are people serious?!
The sad part is that many (if not most) of the people using these names are adults who have the power to vote.
Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
I agree. It's really disgusting. I find that the people who resort to name calling usually have a more difficult time articulating rational reasons for why they support their candidate or his policies. It's all about the other guy and many of them can't even articulate rational reasons why they oppose the other guy or his policies.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,100 times
I tried conservadummy for a while, but I regret posting that. Sorry to those I may have offended.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I find the childish name-calling by supporters on both sides of the campaign to be rather indicative of the depth of political discourse in modern America. Naturally, people use these names in a pitiful attempt to discredit the candidate they don't support and to make said candidate seem inept; it saves from having to actually defend their candidate with facts and actions and having to foster actual, grown-up debate. In other words: It's lazy.
Mittens? NoBama? *******s / Contards? I mean, c'mon, are people serious?!
The sad part is that many (if not most) of the people using these names are adults who have the power to vote.
Pathetic.
I was kind of hoping that the ones doing the name calling day in and day out on this site are NOT adults, which might explain their childish and rude behavior. But sadly, I'm probably wrong. I don't really hear that kind of talk off line so maybe there is still hope that we, as a society, haven't unraveled too far.....

Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I was kind of hoping that the ones doing the name calling day in and day out on this site are NOT adults, which might explain their childish and rude behavior. But sadly, I'm probably wrong. I don't really hear that kind of talk off line so maybe there is still hope that we, as a society, haven't unraveled too far.....
Unfortunately, this is not limited to this site (which I actually find better than most online forums ). And, again unfortunately, I do have reason to believe that most of the people using these names are adults.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM

59 posts, read 45,583 times
I was on the way home today taking the ferry and ran into a guy I used to work with on the way, the whole time we were talking basically about what we've been doing about work and all. Then we got into a discussion about the economy and why we are at where we are now. And from that discussion eventually we moved into Obama's foreign policy and not once did I get angry and start yelling and neither did he. Now I don't know if he will be voting Romney or not but I thought we had a sane and very civil discussion and honestly felt good about it. He told me to checkout the nationalreview and one other site I forget which one it was but he told me it's best to read what conservatives think and where they are coming from. Another guy I work with is a hardcore republican and believes many of the crazy things that get said about Obama yet as long as I'm not talking to him about politics he's actually a really good guy and funny. Also I like to joke with him that he looks like walker texas ranger or jeff foxworthy.

I think politics tends to screw things up for many because people will believe what they want and unless you can have a rational discussion talking to them does not matter. Many of the people on this site and other sites I've gone onto seem to have this weird hyper partisanship I don't know if it's because it's the internet and thus fore has anonymity so it's like the "Troll Effect" I like to think about. Which means when you add faceless,nameless, non personable "avatars or screen names" it's easier to be cruel it's easier to be "crazy" because you no have worries about it coming back to haunt you at all.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,637 times
This site is no where near as vile as some of the comments you find following news articles. Those I truly do believe are being written by immatures living in their parent's basement.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 PM

96 posts, read 86,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
This site is no where near as vile as some of the comments you find following news articles. Those I truly do believe are being written by immatures living in their parent's basement.
That would sum up most liberals for ya

Old 09-24-2012, 11:09 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Here's how to lose your faith in humanity in three easy steps.

1. Go to Drudge Report

2. Clink a linked story

3. Read comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections