Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times

Advertisements

The skewed poll truthers make no sense at all. The organizations that produce the polls are in the business of selling their polling services, if they were proven to be inaccurate to the degree that conservatives are claiming, they would have no customers left after the election is over. The idea that a business that produces polls for a living would put themselves out of business doing something that wouldn't even guarantee an Obama win is absurd on its face.

The truth is that conservatives cocoon themselves inside a right wing only media bubble and only pop out briefly every four years when their candidates and pundits have to embrace other media outlets looking for votes from the independents and more moderate voters that don't rely exclusively on Fox News and RushBeck O'Hannity for information. They just simply cannot come to grips with the fact that their political views no longer represent the majority in this country.

I can understand how hard it must be to have heard from their right wing media heroes for almost four years now that the 2012 election was going to be a cakewalk and that any Republican alive would beat Obama in a crushing landslide to only find out that they have been lied to and that Obama is almost certain to serve a second term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 02:39 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Let Romney and the GOP keep digging themselves deeper in the hole by talking nonsense about flawed polls.

Let Romney keep telling the interviewer that the polls are tied, even though the numbers are saying different.

This is just getting a few more fence sitters to vote against the GOP. Not only the presidential election, but also House and Senate. Some fencer sitters are going to see that many in the GOP are in la-la land. You don't want to vote for someone that is in la-la land.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's an interesting take--Ron Reagan thinks that the FOX crowd is setting the stage to call Romney's loss the result of voter suppression--that the polling agencies are all in a vast left wing conspiracy to reduce the enthusiasm of conservative voters so they'll stay home. When Obama wins, they can then claim that it was an illegitimate win, and that he really shouldn't be president. The birth certificate argument blew up in their faces, so I guess this is round 2.
I thought this along time ago. That the dems would riot for various reasons including voter suppression, claims of racism. The other thought I had was to try to make Republicans feel like what is the point then they will not show up at the voting polls. The polls are kind of fun to watch. Other than that, the liberals are getting really arrogant. I think it is still close but can change quickly.

The bottom line is make sure your finances are in good shape because if you are counting on either to save you, you personally will lose.

I do think that Romney does have a better job creations plan and we already saw what Obama tried but couldn't do so I am voting for Romney but prepared for either.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
I thought this along time ago. That the dems would riot for various reasons including voter suppression, claims of racism. The other thought I had was to try to make Republicans feel like what is the point then they will not show up at the voting polls. The polls are kind of fun to watch. Other than that, the liberals are getting really arrogant. I think it is still close but can change quickly.

The bottom line is make sure your finances are in good shape because if you are counting on either to save you, you personally will lose.

I do think that Romney does have a better job creations plan and we already saw what Obama tried but couldn't do so I am voting for Romney but prepared for either.
I don't think Reagan's point was that the pollsters are really in cahoots or that they're faulty polls--that's just how FOX is spinning the bad poll numbers so they can make the voter suppression argument down the road. I do agree with you that things can change quickly if there's some kind of October surprise, but it would have to be a really big deal to make an impact, because the momentum is behind Obama. Still, being arrogant and overly confident is always a bad idea until the votes are counted...

Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
In 2004 the polls showed Bush with a slight lead throughout the campaign season. It was the liberals who said that the polls were skewed and come election day, Kerry would win.

The ones on the losing end always say that there's something wrong with the polls, but 99% of the time, the polls turn out to have been right all along.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM

81 posts, read 115,393 times
Obama is up 3 to 5 points at the moment. Yes if the election were today, he would win. Obama has also gone around every swing state promising everything to everyone. Simply raise some taxes on a small number of people and we can fix schools, rebuild infrastructure, give free birth control, provide free healthcare, and do nothing about entitlements. It's worked very successfully for Obama. The debates can change the shape of the race. Romney is behind, but he has a good track record of winning the debates.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Given the margins that Obama is running over Romney...Obama is leading to the point that he will almost certainly win, but not so much that Conservatives have given up all hope and focused on Senate/House races. Its also not so "in the bag" for Obama that his campaign has changed their view from cautiously optimistic. Things could change, who can deny that? Will they...probably not...but they could.

Now, assuming this nonsense about skewing polls is valid.....how would that be of any incentive to the Obama campaign? If polls show him up by 6-8 points, you don't think that may cause some complacency amongst voters who would otherwise vote if the difference was within a point or two? There are people who vote only when they feel its 'important', and this happens on both sides of the aisle.

If they're fudging it for their advantage, if anything it would probably encourage more action from right leaning voters.
Haven't you seen that people love to support the winning team. The media wants us to think Obama is a winner. They want to deject the GOP and bring optimism to the liberals. The GOP is so angry about our country being destroyed by Obama that nothing will dissuade them from voting.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:11 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
In 2004 the polls showed Bush with a slight lead throughout the campaign season. It was the liberals who said that the polls were skewed and come election day, Kerry would win.

The ones on the losing end always say that there's something wrong with the polls, but 99% of the time, the polls turn out to have been right all along.
This. Exactly.

Media relying on flawed polls: Gallup and CBS/NYT skewed toward Republicans | Research | Media Matters for America

This election is so much like 2004 its ridiculous.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal from the South View Post
I agree that the polls motivate me that much more to make sure that "come hell or high water" that I cast my vote for Romney. However, I think in this case most people know that Obama is a failure and they are skewing the polls so that the people who know this and voted for him in 2008 will start to question their own good judgment and stay loyal to the party.
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Literally.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Poor Republicans. Always the "victim" of the polling groups and the left wing MSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections