Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is utter nonsense and outright lies that most Republicans claim that all blacks are on welfare and the most Hispanics are here illegally. There is no "new" Republican group that thinks those things either and you can't back up those claims either. I get so sick of the lies on the left! Have none of you no shame at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Neither are lies. Both are lumpage- my term for over-generalization. Both sides have the same tendency to mix a bunch of issues with small differences together and lump them into a big stinking ball of manure, then roll them around for a while like beetles do.

Calling those who indulge in lumpage idiots or un-educated is simply more lumpage. Those who cling to their beliefs most fervently have many reasons why they do, but the idiots and dropouts among them are only a part of them, not the whole, on either side. I have read more intelligent stuff here than ignorant stuff, on both sides.
And I have read far too much stuff that was intentionally meant to be inflammatory. Naturally so, as a political forum always draws those who like the jousting. But there's a very good reason why jousting is no longer the highly popular sport it was 400 years ago.

If we were all talking in a circle about this, we would all be acting differently. There might be more moderation among us in what we say, or a brawl might break out. In my personal experience, conversations like this one are more often cooled down than heated up, but that's just the way it is around here.

Is the Republican party in trouble? it seems so. But as long as this, or any forum, has a lot of members who prefer to only throw partisan rocks at each other, rather than allowing partisan disagreements, none of what is said here is going to be contributive very much. One persons' opinion is as valid as any other person's, but it's always best to remember that any opinion is only one person's alone. No one else will ever fully agree with another. Indulging in name calling and diatribe only muddies up the waters and produces no clarity for anyone.
First--I'm not a liberal. I'm a moderate conservative who's had it with the tea party nuts who've taken over the republican party--they're destroying it by forcing out everyone who doesn't believe a very narrow set of beliefs. The sooner you're out (and you will be soon) the better.

As for the rest--over generalization? I don't think so. In a Washington Post poll conducted in August of this year, 59% of republicans believe that African Americans vote for the democratic party because they want something for nothing, or they're on welfare. An additional 36 percent of those republicans polled said it was because African Americans are supportive of welfare and entitlements.
http://www.yourblackworld.net/2012/0...ton-post-poll/
http://www.yourblackworld.net/wp-con...0.05.21-PM.png

On the immigration issue--a poll recently released by the National Hispanic Media coalition and Latino Decisions found that one third of non hispanic voters believe that most hispanics in the United States are here illegally. I find it highly unlikely that those folks are liberals.
Poll: 1 out of 3 Americans inaccurately think most Hispanics are undocumented

Last edited by mb1547; 10-01-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
Quote:
Oh please describe these "foaming at the mouth immigration policies". I can hardly wait! The fact is that most Hispanics are demanding that we bend our immigration policies for them even though it would be a detriment to our country and its citizens. Ethnicty trumps everything for so many of them.

When Rick Perry gets jeered at a debate for displaying compassion for children of illegals, that is foaming at the mouth. Next to the "Let Them Die" applause, it was the most repulsive moment at any GOP debate I have ever seen.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
When Rick Perry gets jeered at a debate for displaying compassion for children of illegals, that is foaming at the mouth. Next to the "Let Them Die" applause, it was the most repulsive moment at any GOP debate I have ever seen.
My personal favorite was Herman Cain's proposal for a giant, deadly, electric "bug" zapper fence on our border to kill anyone trying to cross without papers. Major cheers for that one...and you wonder why Hispanic voters are running from the tea party.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM

63,007 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
First--I'm not a liberal. I'm a moderate conservative who's had it with the tea party nuts who've taken over the republican party--they're destroying it by forcing out everyone who doesn't believe a very narrow set of beliefs. The sooner you're out (and you will be soon) the better.

As for the rest--over generalization? I don't think so. In a Washington Post poll conducted in August of this year, 59% of republicans believe that African Americans vote for the democratic party because they want something for nothing, or they're on welfare. An additional 36 percent of those republicans polled said it was because African Americans are supportive of welfare and entitlements.
Poll Shows Republicans Believe African Americans Consistently Vote Democrat For Welfare | Your Black World
http://www.yourblackworld.net/wp-con...0.05.21-PM.png

On the immigration issue--a poll recently released by the National Hispanic Media coalition and Latino Decisions found that one third of non hispanic voters believe that most hispanics in the United States are here illegally. I find it highly unlikely that those folks are liberals.
Poll: 1 out of 3 Americans inaccurately think most Hispanics are undocumented
So that means that the majority (2/3) non-hispanic Americans don't believe that most Hispanics are here illegally. Your point was?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
The reality of the situation is that the republican party constantly does things and says things that can be spun into racism and all they do is just say we're not racist or the democrats are playing the race card. Take the voter id issue, that law is meant to suppress the black vote, and we're saying it is racist, but the republicans just ignore it and say its for voter intergrity, than they wonder why they get called racist.
What a crock! Voter ID IS about voter integrity. It is the Democrats that are erroneously trying to call it racism and yes they are always playing the race card where it isn't warranted to demonize the right.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Ridiculous argument. No one is saying the entire right is racist. No one. None.

But the truth is that, many on the Right are racists, and these are not people on the fringe as some like you want the rest of us to believe. These are mainstream Republicans who happen to be racist (and some of them aren't even aware that they're racist). And also a fact that hostility towards certain demographics is a characteristic of the Republican party.

To pretend otherwise, is being ignorant or deceptive.

To belabor the point again, no, not all Republicans are racist; but a significant portion of them are. How many? I don't know. But enough to for the rest of us to keep hearing them holler their hatred over and over again.
The left stereotypes the right as being racist when only a small portion of them might be just as a small portion of Democrats are racists not "many" as you are implying about the Republicans. To pretend that they are is ignorant and deceptive on your part.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
So that means that the majority (2/3) non-hispanic Americans don't believe that most Hispanics are here illegally. Your point was?
My point was that I highly doubt that the liberal and moderate end of the non-hispanic population (2/3) thinks that most Hispanics are here illegally. That one third most likely represents your end of the political spectrum. The rhetoric coming out of the tea party (calling for giant electric immigrant zappers on the border, etc) back that up even if the poll didn't go into as much detail.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,076,276 times
Quote:
What a crock! Voter ID IS about voter integrity. It is the Democrats that are erroneously trying to call it racism and yes they are always playing the race card where it isn't warranted to demonize the right.
Well thats how we feel, its a racist law, and as usual, the republicans deny any type of racism exist and just a continuation of why minorities don't vote republican.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Compassion? You mean amnesty, don't you? That is what the jeers were about and by the way I would hardly call a 31 year old a child. I would hardly call objection to another amnesty as "foaming at the mouth" politics. By amnestying the so-called children of illegal immigrants we are rewarding their parents for breaking the law.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Well thats how we feel, its a racist law, and as usual, the republicans deny any type of racism exist and just a continuation of why minorities don't vote republican.
How you "feel" is irrelevant. There is nothing racist about wanting to keep the integrity of our elections intact. Do you not think that their are poor white Americans who wouldn't have the same so-called issues with providing a viable ID to vote? Please.....

There is no reason in this world why a citizen shouldn't have a proper ID. By the way, all the states that have implemented Voter ID laws have offered to provide free ID for those who are claiming they can't afford one. If they can make it to voting booths surely they can make it to the DMV to get one. Next lame excuse.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections