Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,499,666 times

Advertisements

Romney does and will say things which he thinks will increase his chances of winning the campaign. He lacks the courage of any convictions and doesn't have the character or integrity to be President of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't defend Romney's remarks at all. He needs to make it plain that he will enforce our immigration laws and not reward those who have broken them nor their children with amnesty. My gut tells me he is pandering for some Hispanic votes and will double cross those who think he is turning soft on illegal immigration. I don't like those tactics but it is an election year and both candidates are doing it.

Obama has already shown by his actions what he will do and what he has done. I will wait and see if Romney is just playing the election game. If he turns into another Obama on this issue I will hold him in just as much contempt as I do Obama for pandering away our country for votes.
In order words, lying to legal Hispanics is ok, so they will vote for you, as long as you are Romney.

He won't get his votes though. The GOP is not going to get the Hispanic vote.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM

63,001 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Romney does and will say things which he thinks will increase his chances of winning the campaign. He lacks the courage of any convictions and doesn't have the character or integrity to be President of the United States.
Yeah, like Obama does?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
He will say anything in public and five hours later his staff will quietly retract it.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,378,130 times
Quote:
Yes indeed the American citizen is the big loser in all of this. I would just correct what you said about the Democrats though. Democrats want the Hispanic vote AND the cheap labor. Did you know that there are more rich Democrats than Republicans?
I think there may be a minor misunderstanding here. I am not refering to individuals hiring domestic servants, I am refering to corporations who knowingly recruit illegal aliens (such as for working in meat packing plants) and than call in the INS to round them up and deport them when they get too "uppity."

Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I think there may be a minor misunderstanding here. I am not refering to individuals hiring domestic servants, I am refering to corporations who knowingly recruit illegal aliens (such as for working in meat packing plants) and than call in the INS to round them up and deport them when they get too "uppity."
Yes, and there are rich corporations run by both the Democrats and Republicans. The owners of these corporations did not blow the whistle on their illegal workers. It was Americans who were being denied these jobs that did or who were working side by side with them. In many cases it was the personnel dept. that was guilty of hiring illegal immigrants not the owners themselves. In many cases these illegals had very authentic looking fake ID's. It has to be proven that illegal immigrants were hired "knowingly". That is why we need e-verify mandated across the board so that these employers and their illegal workers can't pull these scams anymore.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,378,130 times
Quote:
Y The owners of these corporations did not blow the whistle on their illegal workers. It was Americans who were being denied these jobs that did or who were working side by side with them. In many cases it was the personnel dept. that was guilty of hiring illegal immigrants not the owners themselves. In many cases these illegals had very authentic looking fake ID's. It has to be proven that illegal immigrants were hired "knowingly". That is why we need e-verify mandated across the board so that these employers and their illegal workers can't pull these scams anymore.
Not necessarily. There is some very dirty stuff going on and this is one of the reasons I do not buy any meat from the big name brands.

More info here if you want to see where I am coming from.

Immigration Raids at Smithfield: How an ICE Enforcement Action Boosted Union Organizing and the Employment of American Workers | Center for Immigration Studies
Quote:
According to Peña, Smithfield tips off ICE regularly, giving them the names of a couple of undocumented employees at a time; ICE raids people’s homes in exchange for staying off the plant’s floor. It is terrifying footage. The segment brings into stark relief the cynical collusion between corporation and government and the exploitation of workers, undocumented and not, at every level.
Food Inc. Shines a Light on the Immigrant Labor That Makes That 99c Patty Melt Possible [VIDEO] - COLORLINES
Quote:
Today Salcido is a plaintiff in two separate class-action lawsuits against Swift. One alleges that the company wrongly terminated dozens of injured workers to save on workers' compensation costs, slashing them from $6 million in 2002 to just $600,000 two years later, and another claims the company deliberately and systematically replaced native workers with illegal Guatemalan immigrants in a scheme to depress wages. While Swift acknowledges that it fired employees who'd been on injury-related restrictions for more than six months, it denies any wrongdoing. The company also says it did its best to obey immigration laws during hiring.
http://www.houstonpress.com/2007-04-...al-immigrants/

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,957,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
He will say anything in public and five hours later his staff will quietly retract it.
Sounds eerily familiar doesn't it?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
What part of this didn't you get?

"While Swift acknowledges that it fired employees who'd been on injury-related restrictions for more than six months, it denies any wrongdoing. The company also says it did its best to obey immigration laws during hiring".

Now they could be lying but it has to be proven that they "knowingly" hired illegal immigrants. Please re-read my prior post for clarification.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
What part of this didn't you get?

"While Swift acknowledges that it fired employees who'd been on injury-related restrictions for more than six months, it denies any wrongdoing. The company also says it did its best to obey immigration laws during hiring".

Now they could be lying but it has to be proven that they "knowingly" hired illegal immigrants. Please re-read my prior post for clarification.
If any industry needs a union, I'd say the meat processing industry is sorely in need of it.
There's a chicken processing plant in a nearby town and I've heard more firsthand stories than I care to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections