Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times

Advertisements

I was in Michigan between Sept 20 and October 4 in several locations. It's where I watched the Presidential debate. I saw no Romney/Ryan ads on TV, just Obama ads. I only saw Obama and Ron Paul () lawn signs (plus a large amount of local politician lawn signs). I only saw Obama bumper stickers. I did not go to Detroit so big city = Democrat was not pertinent. One older woman actually promoted Obama to me saying Romney doesn't understand poor people. Too bad after I talked to her I thought of the response "So, neither did JFK?"

So much to my surprise, I now read polling showing the race tightening in Michigan. I'm telling you, I didn't see it. In fact, I haven't seen a single Romney ad on TV in Ohio, Michigan or Tennessee that wasn't a clip on some news show. Even the ads promoting anti-Obama actions never mention Romney/Ryan or Obama by name. It's like you know they're talking about the President. You know they want you to vote for Romney but I think the people who don't pay attention won't get it unless they name names.

I'm trying to make sense of what I see and what I'm being told about both candidates compared to my own "lying eyes" and I'm not sure I can believe anything about this race regarding who is winning and where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,318,767 times
I live in Michigan, and I can tell you first hand that there is a very large amount of support for Romney/Ryan here. The union bosses and big city dwellers who yell the loudest get the most national attention, but vast areas of this state are extremely socially and fiscally conservative. We have a conservative Republican governor, a Republican legislature, and many, many conservative elected officials. Unfortunately, though, since to many Americans outside of Michigan Detroit = Michigan, they are only seeing and hearing what the aforementioned union bosses and urban liberals have to say. Obama "saved" Detroit? LOL, go have a peek at the Detroit forum here on C-D and see what's really going on in that city. If Obama cared so much about the people of Detroit, almost all of them African-Americans who voted for him, then why are conditions there deteriorating by the day?

I have lived in Michigan for fifteen years. Michigan is truly a red state in many ways. Maybe this time it will show where it counts the most.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I live in Michigan, and I can tell you first hand that there is a very large amount of support for Romney/Ryan here. The union bosses and big city dwellers who yell the loudest get the most national attention, but vast areas of this state are extremely socially and fiscally conservative. We have a conservative Republican governor, a Republican legislature, and many, many conservative elected officials. Unfortunately, though, since to many Americans outside of Michigan Detroit = Michigan, they are only seeing and hearing what the aforementioned union bosses and urban liberals have to say. Obama "saved" Detroit? LOL, go have a peek at the Detroit forum here on C-D and see what's really going on in that city. If Obama cared so much about the people of Detroit, almost all of them African-Americans who voted for him, then why are conditions there deteriorating by the day?

I have lived in Michigan for fifteen years. Michigan is truly a red state in many ways. Maybe this time it will show where it counts the most.
It shows in its struggling cities.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It shows in its struggling cities.
Nope, actually those are the areas of Michigan that are run by local government with failed liberal policies who resist outside help if it doesn't come from someone who thinks exactly like they do. They have doomed themselves. Much of the rest of the state is doing quite well, thank you.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Nope, actually those are the areas of Michigan that are run by local government with failed liberal policies who resist outside help if it doesn't come from someone who thinks exactly like they do. They have doomed themselves. Much of the rest of the state is doing quite well, thank you.
It doesn't help to have the Republicans bleeding their cities dry and then leave them hanging and pretend like it is only the cities problems. A healthy state needs healthy cities.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It doesn't help to have the Republicans bleeding their cities dry and then leave them hanging and pretend like it is only the cities problems. A healthy state needs healthy cities.
Sorry, but wrong again. The state has made any number of efforts to help Detroit, Flint, et al. It always boils down to the same thing: give us money, lots and lots of money, so that we can squander it as we see fit, but for God's sake, DON'T try to show us what we're doing wrong or tell us how the money should be spent. Why on earth would the state give free reign to people who can't begin to run a city successfully to spend wads of money? For crying out loud, how could anyone bleed a city dry that has absolutely nothing to bleed it of?

You're from NJ, so I'm sure you know all about corruption. Detroit's "leaders" personify corruption. Four police chiefs in five years. Kwame Kilpatrick, Sam Riddle, Monica Conyers, John Conyers. Etc., etc., etc. None of these people are at the state level, and none of them are Republicans, yet they have done more to waste and/or flat out steal money, pay people off, and generally take down this once proud city than an outsider like you could begin to imagine, even coming from the "Jersey Shore".

Last edited by canudigit; 10-12-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 12:10 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Michigan is not going red. Neither is WI or any of the other leaners. Nor is Ohio for that matter. The voters did not move 10-15 points in a week in a race where most people had made up their minds already. What you have is a handful of polls by minor pollsters and robo polls of land lines that are reflecting the enthusiasm of the Republicans after the debate last week. Biden beat Ryan like a drum, and the polls will soon start reflecting dem enthusiasm as well.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Michigan is not going red. Neither is WI or any of the other leaners. Nor is Ohio for that matter. The voters did not move 10-15 points in a week in a race where most people had made up their minds already. What you have is a handful of polls by minor pollsters and robo polls of land lines that are reflecting the enthusiasm of the Republicans after the debate last week. Biden beat Ryan like a drum, and the polls will soon start reflecting dem enthusiasm as well.
Maybe you would get it if you lived here. I see a HUGE difference between the support for Obama in 2008 and that support now. It's hard to get excited about someone who has nothing to run on but broken promises and lies. Libya-gate will probably be the final nail in the coffin.

BTW, you are aware, I assume, that all three of the states that you mentioned in your post have elected conservative Republican governors during the Obama Presidency and that Wisconsin is Mr. Ryan's home state?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,483,136 times
Quote:
Maybe you would get it if you lived here. I see a HUGE difference between the support for Obama in 2008 and that support now. It's hard to get excited about someone who has nothing to run on but broken promises and lies. Libya-gate will probably be the final nail in the coffin.
There was more support for Obama here in Pa. in 2008 than there is now but I`ve seen people headed for the doctor`s office for their prostate exam showing more enthusiasm than the Romney voters. Libya-gate? You can`t be serious. There was a guy re-elected in 2004 for dropping the ball on airline security in 2001 (after he had been warned). Then he took his country to war under false pretenses and had 4,500 Americans killed. 4 dead in Libya vs. 4500 dead in Iraq. Instead of hoping for a scandal your party should have found a better candidate. Neither Solyndra-gate or Fast and Furious-gate is gonna put Romney in the Whitehouse.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but wrong again. The state has made any number of efforts to help Detroit, Flint, et al. It always boils down to the same thing: give us money, lots and lots of money, so that we can squander it as we see fit, but for God's sake, DON'T try to show us what we're doing wrong or tell us how the money should be spent. Why on earth would the state give free reign to people who can't begin to run a city successfully to spend wads of money? For crying out loud, how could anyone bleed a city dry that has absolutely nothing to bleed it of?

You're from NJ, so I'm sure you know all about corruption. Detroit's "leaders" personify corruption. Four police chiefs in five years. Kwame Kilpatrick, Sam Riddle, Monica Conyers, John Conyers. Etc., etc., etc. None of these people are at the state level, and none of them are Republicans, yet they have done more to waste and/or flat out steal money, pay people off, and generally take down this once proud city than an outsider like you could begin to imagine, even coming from the "Jersey Shore".
Actually I grew up in Virginia, and have spent much of my adult life in Washington State and primarily Oregon. Both of those states have big cities that cost a lot to run and thrive as cities which benefits the state. Maybe if Michigan invested in Detroit rather than take from it, the cities and state would be doing much better.

And yes New Jersey is a very corrupt state, I just moved here because I was able to move in with a friend for cheap rent before moving to Brooklyn next spring.

Oh and the state has already bled Detroit, you are just seeing the after effect of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections