Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,426,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
A couple people I work with that voted for Obama last time just aren't voting at all this year (SC). My husbands ex-wife voted for Obama last year and will be voting for Romney this year(OH), same for one of my friends boyfriend (NC).
I think the stupid ass electoral college is a motivator to a lot of people to not vote.

Unless you live in a swing state or you vote with the majority in your state, your vote doesn't really mean anything.

If everyone's vote counted the same and mattered, more people would vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,030,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I know over a dozen people who voted for Obama last go round and are not voting for him this time. They are voting for Romney. Most of them have told me privately that they are not stating in public or to their families that they are voting for Romney, b/c many of their family members are dyed in the wool DEMs and many of their coworkers are libs -- so they nod their heads in agreement that they are voting for Obama when discussions come up, but they are "secretly" going to vote for Romney.

What I have found interesting is that two folks I know voted for Obama and are disgusted but they are registered DEMs and don't want to vote GOP. So they simply are not going to vote.

When Jimmy Carter was running for re-election, everyone around me was a very rabid DEM so I did keep my mouth shut that I was voting for Reagan when in the presence of those folks. But overall, talk was very open amongst Carter's former supporters that they were not voting for him again. I am surprised that so many of Obama's former supporters are not willing to state in public that they are not voting for him.

On this forum, I would think folks would feel comfy enough with anonymity to voice their true intentions, and it seems to me that only a small percentage of those who voted for Obama in 2008 are not supporting him this go round.

I wonder if people are being truthful when pollsters call?
Times have changed. Except for FOX, every other news medium portrays Republicans as stupid/racist/war-mongering, so it's probably not a good idea to advertise you are going to vote for Romney unless you are in solid Republican company. Besides, most Obama supporters of 2008 still are going to stick with him.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:48 PM

30,084 posts, read 18,698,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Or, do you know anybody who voted for him, but won't be voting for him this year? What are your reasons? What are you going to do instead? Vote for Romney? Won't vote at all? Or will you vote for a different candidate(one of the smaller parties).

Just curious to see how many people are switching.
My parents (live in Iowa) who have NEVER VOTED FOR A REPUBLICAN are voting for Romney. I know MANY former Obama supporters here who are not voting for him again. They are in the healthcare field and know that voting for Obama will jeopardize their job.

Obama is toast here. Even the VERY LIBERAL Des Moines Register endorsed Romney (the last time they endorsed a republican for president was 1972)! Obama is toast. He is the "perfect storm" of incompetence that has led many life long democrats to either stay home or switch their vote. There will never be a worse candidate in our lifetimes.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,725,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
My parents (live in Iowa) who have NEVER VOTED FOR A REPUBLICAN are voting for Romney. I know MANY former Obama supporters here who are not voting for him again. They are in the healthcare field and know that voting for Obama will jeopardize their job.

Obama is toast here. Even the VERY LIBERAL Des Moines Register endorsed Romney (the last time they endorsed a republican for president was 1972)! Obama is toast. He is the "perfect storm" of incompetence that has led many life long democrats to either stay home or switch their vote. There will never be a worse candidate in our lifetimes.
Hopefully you're right, but just think if Sarah Palin were to run

I think Obama's a total failure, but if Palin was my only other option I'd probably have to vote for him anyway, just to keep that reality show nut case out of the White House.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,582,114 times
Proudly voted Barack Hussein Obama last time. Proudly will again.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,880,015 times
Voted for Obama in '08 and will do so again. I do not like Romney, he's creepy.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Romney will just be another neocon puppet. He doesn't have the backbone or conviction to be president. But he just might be. So I guess we should brace ourselves for another war.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:57 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,972,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Romney will just be another neocon puppet.
Exactly, as evidenced by his foreign policy advisors. These are the same Bush foreign policy think tank that accompanied him into the White House in 2000 when Bush was insisting at the debates that he is AGAINST nation-building. He had to say that, since he had no foreign policy record. This year, Romney has to say he's all for peace and that we can't kill our way to success, since he has no foreign policy record. But he's hoping that Americans will ignore his neocon foreign policy team just as they ignored Bush's before and open the White House to them.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,972,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Times have changed. Except for FOX, every other news medium portrays Republicans as stupid/racist/war-mongering,
When you have Republicans saying that pregnancy out of rape is God's will, some might conclude that to be stupid, when you have a Michelle Bachman talking about Obama letting the Muslim Brotherhood into the White House, some might conclude that to be stupid as well

When you have Republicans saying that the only reason Colin Powell is endorsing Obama is because of race, some might conclude that to be racially insensitive, and when you have a presidential candidate talking about Latinos self-deporting, that might be as well. And even some minorities IN the Republican Party have admitted that the party hasn't really done much to reach out to include minorities/bring minorities into the party. When those on the inside indicate that there's a problem.......there's a problem

When you have the record of Bush foreign policy, you have the same Bush think tank as Romney's advisors, you have Rep Paul Ryan being shut up about cutting Pentagon waste, and you have conservative Rep Ron Paul being slammed by fellow conservative Republicans because Paul speaks against heavy US military entanglement around the globe, some might conclude that to be a Party of war mongers

So it's not as if Republicans haven't said and done things to deserve that portrayal.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,416,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I am just curious what about him has made him the "worst candidate ever"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections