Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,953,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and Romney is not distancing himself from Bush successfully at all. He's utilizing 70% of Bush's Neocon advisors and Paul Ryan is openly campaigning with Condasleazy Rice. Another puppet for the Neocons is all that Romney has turned out to be. This country deserves what it gets if we have a populace that is willing to vote for this nightmare revisited.
I agree.

Condi Rice was informed by the CIA of a possible terrorist attack in an American city before 9/11. In fact, in August the Bush administration was briefed on active Al Qaeda groups already in the United States. That was on our own soil and nearly 3,000 people died as a result of their incompetence.

Now the same party has the nerve to accuse President Obama of a cover-up and stalling when 4 people are killed in Libya. The hypocrisy is mind-blowing!

Talk about covering your rear end - Bush and Cheney misled the American people into believing that Saddam Hussein had something to do with the WTC attacks on 9/11. Bush and Cheney misled the American people by saying that Iraq had Weapons of Mass Destruction. How many thousands of American soldiers died or were seriously disabled because of their lies?

Yes, I realize Bush is not the president now, but do we want another Bush administration in the White House?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,516,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
I don't read comments from Obama supporters, they're just too one sided and just want to get into a pissing contest and aren't content with generalities!
Clearly, comprehension (and laziness) is a problem if you aren't willing to deal in more than generalities. I recommend a remedial reading course for comprehension - and a dictionary for the hard words - and an encyclopedia for the more complicated concepts. Plus, a good treadmill to boost the energy.

Repeated general statements without substantation are not worth reading.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-18-2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Sigh... Read the 12th amendment. It is still in effect and lays out out the manner in which the Vice President is elected.

The manner in which the VP is elected(party tickets) in no way invalidates that VP is elected by the Electoral College - which means that my use of the term "running" is entirely appropriate.

Write in votes are possible on those ballots which you snidely accuse me of having "never seen"(not only have I been voting for the past 17 years but I am a precinct clerk) - and the electors are not pledged - but not bound to vote according to the winners of their respective states. Thus a person could conceivably be elected Vice President who is not attached to a particular ticket.

It pains me that people who are uneducated about the constitution, as you apparently are - may actually vote.

I don't know the Constitution? I specifically responded to your comment about running for Vice President. Are you saying that the candidate with the 2nd highest electoral votes (as originally stated in the Constitution) is to be Vice President? If that's the case, why wasn't John McCain Obama's VP?

The 12th Amendment was ratified because often the President and Vice President disagreed vehemently on issues and couldn't serve the American public well with such differences. That is why now there is one ticket and they run as a team.

Please show me where there has ever been a Vice President elected by the American people in our lifetime and I will apologize.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:00 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,175,336 times
Default New Gallup poll has 7 point lead for Romney

New poll has a 7 point lead for Romney (his largest) and the RCP average is 1 point up for Romney. This poll also includes 1 day of polling with post-2nd debate figures.

RCP just moved Ohio from "leans Obama" to toss up.

Does it mean anything?

Gallup poll: Romney opens up 7-point lead among likely voters - The Hill's Ballot Box

Old 10-18-2012, 02:02 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,967,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
New poll has a 7 point lead for Romney (his largest) and the RCP average is 1 point up for Romney. This poll also includes 1 day of polling with post-2nd debate figures.

RCP just moved Ohio from "leans Obama" to toss up.

Does it mean anything?

Gallup poll: Romney opens up 7-point lead among likely voters - The Hill's Ballot Box
It means that Obama is going to lose, which is what incumbents under 48% approval ALWAYS do in Presidential elections.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't know the Constitution? I specifically responded to your comment about running for Vice President. Are you saying that the candidate with the 2nd highest electoral votes (as originally stated in the Constitution) is to be Vice President? If that's the case, why wasn't John McCain Obama's VP?

The 12th Amendment was ratified because often the President and Vice President disagreed vehemently on issues and couldn't serve the American public well with such differences. That is why now there is one ticket and they run as a team.

Please show me where there has ever been a Vice President elected by the American people in our lifetime and I will apologize.
The 12th Amendment was ratified just for the reason you stated - because the original arrangement of having the 2nd place finisher be VP was unworkable. So no - of course I am not saying what you asked in your first paragraph - otherwise I wouldn't have cited the 12th Amendment.

Read the 12th Amendment - nowhere in it does it say that the Vice Presidential nominees have to be selected by the President and that they run as a single ticket. It only stipulates that "The Electors shall meet in their respective States and vote by ballot for President and Vice President, one of whom. at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same State with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice President...

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice President, shall be the Vice President."

I don't know how you define it - but I always learned that when individuals vote for a particular person for a certain office and the person with the most votes wins that office - that is called an election. And people who are in an election are usually said to be "running" for the office which they seek - which means that I am entirely correct in saying that Joe Biden is running for vice president.

The Electoral College is not bound to vote for the candidate to whom they were pledged - in practice they always vote for the VP on the winning ticket - but the VP is elected separately - and I stated above a write-in candidate or an elector "revolt" could cause someone else to become VP.

As to your question asking me to show you where there has ever been a Vice President elected by the people in our lifetime - I will be happy to do so - for my lifetime since I don't know how old you are.

For my lifetime I submit to you: Walter Mondale, George Bush, Dan Quayle, Al Gore, Dick Cheney, and Joe Biden.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM

192 posts, read 298,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC2012 View Post
Well, give some credit to the sarcasm in that statement....
Actually, he has done that. No sarcasm there.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:41 PM

192 posts, read 298,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nah - Obama looked like a kid who got caught with his hands in the cookie jar - and then refused to admit it.
No every poll said Obama won the debate. Where did he look like that.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
As to your question asking me to show you where there has ever been a Vice President elected by the people in our lifetime - I will be happy to do so - for my lifetime since I don't know how old you are.

For my lifetime I submit to you: Walter Mondale, George Bush, Dan Quayle, Al Gore, Dick Cheney, and Joe Biden.
I can't even respond to this double-talk. When did any of the above become VP by popular vote or the electoral college during a national election? We were discussing the General Election, when American citizens vote, not the entire political process.

None of the above men you listed were directly voted into office by the American people. [MOD CUT/rude]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-18-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I can't even respond to this double-talk. When did any of the above become VP by popular vote or the electoral college during a national election? We were discussing the General Election, when American citizens vote, not the entire political process.

None of the above men you listed were directly voted into office by the American people. You are either purposely being obstinate or googling your way through this discussion.
I cited the 12th Amendment and throughly discussed it in the above post

https://www.city-data.com/forum/26568175-post2007.html

- if you did not read either it or the 12th Amendment that is not my problem.

No president has been directly voted into office by the American people either - so if you want to talk about obstinence - then look in the mirror.

As to your question "when did any of the above become VP by popular vote or the electoral college" - once again - read the 12th Amendment.

Sheesh - it is not that complicated - and it is perfectly clear that the VP is elected..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections