Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
That whole part was incredibly sexist.

Essentially he was saying that men don't take care of their families, men don't cook, clean, take care of their kids, etc. Sorry Mitt, but most men are better fathers and husbands and significant others than you are.

Women can't work till 7...really? That's why their pay is lower?

Women can't handle the same long hours as men?

Basically he was saying that women are weak and belong at home in the kitchen like his housewife. In his mind, every woman is a housewife and the man is the breadwinner.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading your above post! My conclusion is that either you are another of those from the White House Spin Room with just plain bull, you have no idea of comprehension or possibly you are in dreamland spinning in the clouds of something interfering with your common sense?

No, some women cannot work until 7...they have young children home from school mid afternoon...we don't need more "latch-key" kids growing up to be the mess of the '60's because their mothers had to work in the 1940's for the World War II effort! For heaven's sake...learn a lesson or two from very serious problems caused in the past by mothers not being home to care for their children and realize the consequences we are suffering today from that very problem!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:

Essentially he was saying that men don't take care of their families, men don't cook, clean, take care of their kids, etc. Sorry Mitt, but most men are better fathers and husbands and significant others than you are.

Basically he was saying that women are weak and belong at home in the kitchen like his housewife. In his mind, every woman is a housewife and the man is the breadwinner.
Great post! You nailed him!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,917,798 times
Quote:

It was an anecdote!!!!

What was sexist about it??? It was an example..

He happened to have a woman working for him that was a homemaker!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 AM

46,325 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
WTF??

Romney, say goodbye to the female vote
Damn, so you disagree that a woman should not have flexable schedule or for that matter any parent? And that Romeny is going to provide that for any parent.

That is PATHETIC but completely predictable for the left!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
It was an anecdote!!!!

What was sexist about it??? It was an example..

He happened to have a woman working for him that was a homemaker!!!
He doesn't have any men working for him who are homemakers????

Old 10-17-2012, 08:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
I worked in management and HR for decades, and also owned my own business for several of those years. In other words, I've hired a lot of people in my lifetime, and dealt with many staffing issues, schedule issues, etc. Actually - hundreds and hundreds of employees over the course of twenty five years.

It may not be politically correct to say this (though that's never stopped me before, so why start now?), but the fact is that it's usually the WOMAN who takes care of childcare issues, who wants to be home as soon as possible to be there for the kids, take care of dinner, etc etc. Often it's because she's a single mom, or because the man at home is not the "real father" of her kids but is in fact a stepfather, and she feels the kids are more her responsibility than his.

(I know there are exceptions - in fact, my daughter works full time while her husband is a stay at home dad and student, so please don't give me examples of exceptions to the rule - I know they're out there.)

Therefore, the REALITY IS that GENERALLY SPEAKING - women tend to take on more of the childcare responsibilities than men do. Children are VERY IMPORTANT and the care of one's children SHOULD be the top priority of parents, so in my role as a manager, I made every effort to accommodate any parent who needed to accommodate their childrens' needs and wants.

In all my years of managing schedules and people, I never ONCE heard a father say, "I need to have some time each day between 3-4 to pick up my kids from school." Occasionally, yes, but every day - nope. However, I did have several female employees who needed that time slot - which meant that they either needed to come in very early, or take a very late lunch break, or take work home and complete it there.

I honestly cannot recall a SINGLE male employee asking for or even implying that he needed schedule accommodations in order to take care of his kids on a regular basis. Occasionally, for a special event - yes. But a permanent schedule shift or repeated time off to handle child issues? Nope, not once did I have this situation, in spite of hiring and managing literally hundreds of employees. However, it was very common for women to ask for (and yes, receive) such accommodations.

I was a working mom myself for many years, and it was a struggle. I empathize with working parents. But to try to paint the picture as if men in general are just as willing and eager to ask for accommodations regarding childcare and household duties is simply disingenuous. It's simply not a reality. For whatever reasons, women do seem to carry more of that burden in addition to their careers - especially if they are single moms (and far more women have full custody of children after a divorce than men do -it's simply a reality, not saying whether it's right or wrong).

And if you don't want to feed your kids Mickey Dee's every day, you're going to have to cook dinner. And clean up afterwards. And spend quality time with the kids. And help them with their homework. And take them to lessons and practices. And make sure their clothes and supplies are in good order for the next day. And be sure they get a bath and are tucked into bed lovingly. And do laundry, get together Halloween costumes, plan birthday parties, work out carpool schedules, run by the store for unexpected things kids spring on you, etc etc - all between 5 and 9 pm. Every day. Every week. Every year. For years.

This doesn't even include your pregnancies, doctor appts for kids, kids home sick, school events, out of town games, months of baseball/soccer/football/track/you name it that take hours and hours every week, etc etc. If you are a single mom, especially, but ANY parent who takes on the full load of raising kids and working full time (for whatever reason) is loaded to the max if they are going to do both jobs - personal and professional - well.

The reality is that women tend to ask for more flexibility for these things than men do - generally speaking.

Men work an average of 45 minutes more than women each day, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is nearly 4 hours more per week. That's 195 hours more per year. That's nearly FIVE WEEKS MORE of full time work (40 hour work wk) per year. Unfortunately, this is an edge when it comes to building a career, productivity, etc.
http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2008/jun/wk4/art04.htm

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-17-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,917,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
He doesn't have any men working for him who are homemakers????

I don't know, you would have to ask him...

What does that have to do with the price of apples in China?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,301,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Damn, so you disagree that a woman should not have flexable schedule or for that matter any parent? And that Romeny is going to provide that for any parent.

That is PATHETIC but completely predictable for the left!
I disagree that womens issues = cooking.

Some of the best cooks are men.

Your ideas about gender roles are from the 50's, 1850's

Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,972,796 times
Romney seems to not fundamentally understand that giving women flexible schedules or getting binders full of women candidates for jobs DOES NOT EQUAL making sure women have equal pay as men for the same job. Perhaps Romney is suggesting to American women that including them in resume binders to interview for jobs and then giving them flexible schedules once hired on jobs is a perfectly plausible SUBSTITUTE FOR giving them equal pay as men once they are hired on jobs. Perhaps if women come to him in the office with "why am I getting paid so much less than Bob for the same job?" he's inclined to respond "What are you complaining for Sally? You were IN the binder to be interviewed for the job, and we LET you go home before 7 in the evening to cook for your kids, isn't that good enough for you? Don't be greedy. Run along now so your kids can get some dinner."

Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
What an entertaining thread! I just read the whole thing to the post above me. I have a few comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If a person thinks that they should be paid more, then they should demonstrate their worthiness to the employer and ask for it.

If a pay raise is denyed - then they are free to find somewhere else to work where they will be paid what they think they should earn - or to start their own business.

The government has no business regulating what a private business pays its employees. Negotiations for compensation should take place between labor and management. If a particular worker doesn't like their wage or salary - they are free to ask for more money or to find other employment.

It is real simple.
"For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong." -- J. Wagoner, U.C.B. Mathematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
I am liberal and I never made a comment about the 1950's. What exactly is your point?

How about this? When my father remarried in the 90's, he was the bread winner and my step-mother stayed at home with the kids while she bitched all day how bad she had it and how lucky my father was to be working. Guessed who still cooked? My father.

Guess who responsibility it was to wash the dishes, take out the trash, vacuum the carpets, sweep the stairs, and move the lawn? Mine. What did my feminist step-mother do all day? ***** and moan about how life was unfair to her and how good my father had it since he worked.

The day she left my father was the best of his life. He eventually found a woman who appreciates him, his integrity, and his hardwork. While my father's new woman is retired, he still does the cooking. My feminist step mother is alone and still complaining about how life is unfair.

The best you have is a dumb 1970's Joan Clever story and irrelevant retorts about how Republicans still view society in the 1950's. I expected better from you.
Get over your issues with your step-mother before proceeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Many (smart) companies have flex hours, job sharing and child care centers. Great idea and employees can work with each other on their schedules. It really is a win-win for both and job sharing saves the company money on different benefits that full-time employees are given.

Bottom line, as long as the job gets done that's what an employer wants. More companies should go that route.
You have obviously never worked in health care. You can't leave your patients. Nursing jobs are among the most inflexible. So are jobs teaching in K-12.

There are many studies that show that, even when controlled for issues like time off to have kids, etc. men still make more than women. In nursing, men tend to get promoted faster. That has been factually proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
anytime someone brings up the equal pay thing they lose

...the 'glass ceiling is a LIE

EVERY job that I have seen women in they make the SAME as their male counterparts based on SENIORITY and SKILL
the MYTH of the glass ceiling is just that..a MYTH

In many occupations, including speech pathology and financial analysis, women earn far more than men. When it comes to college degrees, women outpace men by a fair shot. According to the Wall Street Journal, “single, childless women between ages 22 and 30 were earning more than their male counterparts in most U.S. cities, with incomes that were 8 percent on average."

if liberals were ACTUALLY concerned with fairness...then they would be pushing for a pay for performance law, rather than a BS glass ceiling that doesnt exist

why should the other person be paid the same as me..if I have more experience..and more skill

do you really think the worst mechanic in town, should get paid the same as the best mechanic in town???

pay is set by QUALIFICATIONS and needs

do you really think pay should be only set by title???

should a _________(you choose man/woman/it) who has been DOING THE JOB for 1 year be paid the same as a __________ who has been DOING the JOB for 10 years( EXPERIENCE )?????

should a woman coming into the shop as a mechanic be paid the same as my lead mechanic, just because the title says mechanic????

should a woman LAWYER just coming out of law school be paid the same as a male lawyer that has been practicing for the last 20 years???

should a woman just coming onto the job, (but has 10 years experience) be paid the same as an employee that has been with the COMPANY for the last 10 years ( LONGEVITY on the job)????

pay is set by skill, experience, education, and need...and how you PRESENT YOURSELF on the interview

liberals always look to mediocrity, instead of striving for the best

now with the ledbetter act it will force LOWER PAY for all...the fascist liberal dream...all of us being serfs
O. . . M. . . G!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections