Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
OMG what, Kat???

do you disagree with "pay for performance"???

do you disagree with "pay based on experience"???

sorry but the facts are there...the 'pay inequality of women" is a myth
You don't know what you're talking about. No sane person disagrees with pay for performance or pay based on experience. That is not what equal pay for equal work means. If I did not have to go to work later this morning, I could dig around the 'net and find some studies that show that, even when controlling for all those factors, women still make less than men, in the same companies. In my own profession, nursing, it's obvious. Even though men comprise <10% of the nursing workforce, they tend to be promoted quicker, and get more raises.

18,630 posts, read 19,436,658 times
There was a conservative poster on here last week who said the questions would be liberal because it was in New York. I disagreed thinking Long Island was somewhat more reasonable than say Manhattan but looks like he was right.

Many of the questions could have been written by Stephanie Cutter. I mean who is not for equal pay? The problem is that many wome simply go into roles that do not command high pay checks. The issue is another made up one by the libs who have really nothing to run on.

Oh libs what is Obama's 2nd term agenda?

Time's Mark Halperin: Obama Still Has Not Laid Out A Second-Term Agenda - YouTube

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious Things View Post
And what about male workers? Last time I checked they can cook too. This is what is wrong with the comment, it assumes only women should be in the kitchen.

By the way cooking doesn't take THAT long. You really don't need to leave earlier.
Let me see if I get this straight..

The big issue to people in america is if Romney think men cook, and not about Obama lying to people about calling Libya an act of terrorism..

and we wonder whats so fk up in america.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,466,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. No sane person disagrees with pay for performance or pay based on experience. That is not what equal pay for equal work means. If I did not have to go to work later this morning, I could dig around the 'net and find some studies that show that, even when controlling for all those factors, women still make less than men, in the same companies. In my own profession, nursing, it's obvious. Even though men comprise <10% of the nursing workforce, they tend to be promoted quicker, and get more raises.
Yep, even in the Obama WH!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,508,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Dude, it was a REAL LIFE example! It ACTUALLY HAPPENED. It wasn't his opinion, he was asked for this by an employee!

Because he answered with a women/cooking scenario - it shows that he equates women with cooking. Very clear.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 AM

990 posts, read 940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading your above post! My conclusion is that either you are another of those from the White House Spin Room with just plain bull, you have no idea of comprehension or possibly you are in dreamland spinning in the clouds of something interfering with your common sense?

No, some women cannot work until 7...they have young children home from school mid afternoon...we don't need more "latch-key" kids growing up to be the mess of the '60's because their mothers had to work in the 1940's for the World War II effort! For heaven's sake...learn a lesson or two from very serious problems caused in the past by mothers not being home to care for their children and realize the consequences we are suffering today from that very problem!
Not all women are mothers. And not all men are helpless dolts who can't take care of the kids. That's what offends me. I work 55+ hours a week and do volunteer work...I'm also the cook in my household and I do the majority of the hard work with our dog and cat. I do all the household maintenance, I take care of all the bills, I do most everything other than cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms. I leave the house at 5:45am and usually don't get home until 6:00pm or later and I still do all that work. Sure, I'd love to be able to support a family of 5 on a single middle-class income, but that's not the world we live in anymore thanks mainly to the greedy jerks like those from Bain Capital who inflated CEO wages at the expense of the employee wages and who outsourced millions of decent jobs to India, China and elsewhere.

This isn't the 1950s. Nearly 1 in 5 women never has a child and nearly 1 in 2 women does not currently have a child to take care of.

The question was about fair pay, not "can we return to the 1950s where women were doting housewives and men only had to talk to their kids when they were in trouble?" The idea that the unfair pay between men and women is solely due to familial issues IS incredibly sexist.

I'm NOT an Obama supporter (can you freaking read my tagline below my name?), I'm just pointing out how incredibly sexist and old-fashioned Mitt is. In his world, a woman's place is in the home with the kids and cooking dinner for her breadwinning man. His answer to that question proved that he sees the world through the eyes of a rich white man circa 1955.

32,818 posts, read 19,511,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbia752 View Post
Yes he did. This is the GOP plan for "equality" in the workplace, all based on their 1950s view of women. Hey you won't have equal pay, but we'll make sure you're home in time to make dinner!
oh please

I hire two people at the same time..same experience

both are GOOD workers

one put in extra hours..is always there, and has outstanding production
the other punches out exactly in the o'clock..takes lots of time off to be with the 'kids' and has ok production, but certainly not as much as the other guy

when annual reviews come down.. and I hand out a 1% raise to average workers, a 3% raise to the clock watcher good worker, and a 5% to the outstanding performer...do you really think pay will stay equal???

"""PAY FOR PERFORMANCE"""....a term the fascist liberals and unions hate

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
That's crap. Abuse and male domination are of the very small percentage...not the majority. I have never understood why in the world we have passed laws to bail out a tiny percentage of those affected by a problem and in the end screw up the other 99% that don't have the problem.

Just that foolishness over the past years, especially since the mess of the 60's has caused unbelievable damage to our American way of life.
Look at history. Until women started demanding equal rights in the 60s, they had no recourse in abusive relationships.

Believe what you like (even if it's terribly wrong, perhaps willfully so) but facts are still facts.

6,933 posts, read 8,501,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what he said was that his chief of staff told he she couldnt stay until 7 or 8 at night, that she needed to be home with her kids to cook for them, etc. and he said that was fine, that she could set up a flexible schedule so she could do her job, and still be there for her family. and yes, more employers are going to more flexible schedules just for this reason. and not just to accommodate women either, but men also. whats wrong with that?
I recall hearing the exchange as you did. Fair is fair.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Because he answered with a women/cooking scenario - it shows that he equates women with cooking. Very clear.
yes, anyone who has a spouse, who has dedicated household responsibilities, are haters..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections