Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,789,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Similar qualifications should result in similar hiring salaries. If everything is truly equal then they should be identical.

Once hired, (smart) companies pay and promote based on how employees PERFORM their jobs, not their "qualifications" which is how they GOT their jobs. Ideally this is via some 'objective' criteria. Over careers, pay differences may evolve between those with similar education and experience based on contribution and value to the business. If fairly administered, this is as it should be, no? (of course everyone know of situations where it isn't, I am talking about policy and typical practice).
IF is a big word. FAIRLY (in this case) is a process. The way it should be isn't necessarily the way it is, which makes it unfair.

1,609 posts, read 1,080,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So if a black person is paid less for doing the same job as a white person----that's OK with you . ? It's up to the black person to go hunt for a new job?
It is certainly not up to the government!

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
"Close" isn't good enough, sorry. Do you not feel women should earn what men do in the same position? I demand equal pay as well as a shot to further my career- based on merit, obviously. How is 'close ' even slightly acceptable to some people?
My opinion is anyone should get equal pay for equal qualifications, experience and most importantly production.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
Anyone can cook. No offense
Whether you'll want to eat is another matter. LOL

Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,855,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
He's an ignorant, sexist pig who thinks only women should cook and care for children.
Which is exactly why as Governor of Massachusetts he made a special effort to recruit women, hired one as his chief of staff, and had more women in senior leadership positions than any other state!

Good catch.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When all things are equal a woman's salary is very close to men, the issue with the 72% figure often cited by the media and used in the debate question is that is based on everyone without consideration for experience, career choice etc.
49/51 is not equal. 1 point makes the difference.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
It is certainly not up to the government!
Actually, it is.
The reason why is because the government had to step in.
Seems that business wasn't being fair.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
We'll considering almost half the kids in the U.S live in single parent homes, with "mom" as the sole provider, what he said is true. I would think a single mom needs to get home from work to cook and care for her children......I certainly hope she does not let her children starve!
But no men working are parents?

THEY don't need a flexible schedule to be a PARENT????

Yes, there are single women , and MARRIED women, who get dumped with the most parenting....but if male parents stepped up and took PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY women wouldn't be targeted by slimeballs like Romney.

One very good solution for both parents is to have wages that allow them to work 40 hours a week.....with jobs going to China to make the wealthy wealthier parents are forced to work longer hours....

Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I love my mother. Granted she is not the best cook, but she got to be a cfo before retirement. Anyone can cook. No offense
an 8 year old can fend for themself and cook dinner?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,486,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
"Close" isn't good enough, sorry. Do you not feel women should earn what men do in the same position? I demand equal pay as well as a shot to further my career- based on merit, obviously. How is 'close ' even slightly acceptable to some people?
Women earn more than men in the same position in many cases. You're probably OK with that.

Go ahead and DEMAND equal pay. Are you going to DEMAND equal pay to other women's salaries too?

Some women earn more than other women in the same position.

Many women earn less than men because they don't work as many hours as men over the course of a year.

Please tell us how Congress should force employers to meet your demands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections