Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,182,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not only was it not "great," it was disastrous.

30 percent job approval rating. Lowest of any governor in Massachusetts history, including the three Republican governors that preceded him.

47th out of 50 in job creation. Worse than Sarah Palin.

1 percent GDP growth. That's slower than what the whole country has now. And the rest of the country was growing at 5 percent during the same time.

FAILURE.
The post you cherry picked that quote from was a little longer than that. But don't worry...I'll re-post to ensure that you read it all this time. Ensure you pay close attention to the bold, underline areas. I should have known....I forgot to put emoticons in it. God, i'm sorry. I'll stick a few at the bottom to hold your attention.

Yeah I guess you're right. Afterall...Sports Authority, Guitar Center, Gymboree, Houghton Mifflin, Staples, Dominos, The Weather Channel, Burger King, Sealy, Brookstone, Burlington Coat Factory, Dunkin Donuts, Steel Dynamics, and Hospital Corp of America are all just struggling to get by aren't they?

His record in Mass wasn't great...I wont' deny that. But what he did do is impressive. He took office with a fairly substantial budget deficit (650 million) and with his comination of fee increases and spending cuts he achieved a 700 million dollar surplus during his last two full fiscal years in office. Something your savior, Barack would know nothing about.

I hardly see that as "running it into the ground."

It isn't Mitt's problem the people in Mass are too stupid to know they are being managed effectively. These are the lunatics that elected that hair lipped joke Barney Frank.

again....my bad, brah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 PM

I'm not going to argue this anymore because this thread is turning into a general your candidate vs my candidate better suited for the presidential election thread.

Point blank. The premise of your thread is that if Romney was so great, why isn't he polling well in Mass.
Answer: He isn't polling well in Mass because it is a VERY liberal state.
If Schwatzenegger ran he wouldn't carry California
If Castro ran (despite his popularity) he wouldn't pull Texas
If McDonnel ran VA would still be a toss up despite being ranked as one of the most well managed states in the country.

Reduction: The premise of this thread is dumb because one well or ill performing state rep or governer's performance isnt' necessarily going to sway a state. There are a million factors and performance isn't always a reliable indicator (unfortunately).

Old 10-18-2012, 04:07 PM

32,225 posts, read 34,987,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I'm not going to argue this anymore because this thread is turning into a general your candidate vs my candidate better suited for the presidential election thread.

Point blank. The premise of your thread is that if Romney was so great, why isn't he polling well in Mass.
Answer: He isn't polling well in Mass because it is a VERY liberal state.
If Schwatzenegger ran he wouldn't carry California
If Castro ran (despite his popularity) he wouldn't pull Texas
If McDonnel ran VA would still be a toss up despite being ranked as one of the most well managed states in the country.

Reduction: The premise of this thread is dumb because one well or ill performing state rep or governer's performance isnt' necessarily going to sway a state. There are a million factors and performance isn't always a reliable indicator (unfortunately).
Romney's performance in Massachusetts was terrible. That's precisely why he's losing there. If Massachusetts were impossible for a Republican to win, then Ronald Reagan would not have won it twice.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Romney's performance in Massachusetts was terrible. That's precisely why he's losing there. If Massachusetts were impossible for a Republican to win, then Ronald Reagan would not have won it twice.
It's a different time, man. I think that even you will agree that the political environment now is TOXIC. I've never seen a more uncivil discourse between the partys. Just read through the dialogue on this and other threads.

Everyone knows the red and blue states. If a GOP governor took over california and left that state with a surplus it would go blue in the presidential election. I would bet you literally everything in my 401k it would go blue. So goes on the other side. If a Blue governor took over Texas and ran the state magnificiently...it would go Red in the presidential elections.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
It's a different time, man. I think that even you will agree that the political environment now is TOXIC. I've never seen a more uncivil discourse between the partys. Just read through the dialogue on this and other threads.
Excuses, excuses. A 30 percent approval rating has nothing to do with a toxic political environment.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Excuses, excuses. A 30 percent approval rating has nothing to do with a toxic political environment.
Talking to you is like talking to my little niece. One regurgitated talking point repeated and repeated and repeated.

Lets bring your savior Barack's record into this. But I guess HIS record is the fault of his predecessor, right?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM

But...let me ask you this.

Now...I'll concede that Julian Castro isn't at the level of a governor. But he is an up and coming star in the democratic party. He is very popular in Texas (from what i've been told). I have a few friends that live there and I'm basing my assertion off of them. I've even heard from some people that he is popular with the GOP in some circles. Now...I don't know how true that is but I've heard it from multiple sources so I think it has a little credibility.

Here is the question:
Do you think Julian Castro, if the Democratic nominee in 2016, would carry Texas?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Talking to you is like talking to my little niece. One regurgitated talking point repeated and repeated and repeated.
So you can't defend Womney's sorry job approval rating?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
So you can't defend Womney's sorry job approval rating?
Maybe I could just blame his predecessor?

That is working well for you guys.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 PM

My question is relevant to your thread. I'm drawing a pretty clear parallel that I don't believe you have a response to.

DO YOU THINK THAT IF JULIAN CASTRO WON THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION IN 2016 HE WOULD CARRY TEXAS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections