Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
whether NC is a right to work state or not, the trend is job growth which is something we didn't see when the republicans controlled the White House. Unemployment is still high because we were in such a deep hole. It's going to take a long time before the U.S. economy returns to the way it was in the 1990s. Bill Clinton couldn't have pulled it off in four years and quite frankly I think it will be around the year 2020 before we see a dramatic change in the economy.
I would also say unemployment is high because there are a surprising number of people who move here for no good reason and think it is some sort of enchanted place that has no problems.

As such our population growth tends to outstrip our job growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,847,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I would also say unemployment is high because there are a surprising number of people who move here for no good reason and think it is some sort of enchanted place that has no problems.

As such our population growth tends to outstrip our job growth.
Agreed. The larger cities in NC are becoming bogged down with a wide array of growing pain issues. In the long run, I actually somewhat consider the recession a positive for our particular area as it slowed the growth down and gives us a chance to catch our breath. Steep price to pay, but I have to look for the bright side somewhere in this economy.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Agreed. The larger cities in NC are becoming bogged down with a wide array of growing pain issues. In the long run, I actually somewhat consider the recession a positive for our particular area as it slowed the growth down and gives us a chance to catch our breath. Steep price to pay, but I have to look for the bright side somewhere in this economy.
Unfortunately I don't know how much that has stemmed the tide. Greensboro, Raleigh, and Charlotte are still adding people at a clip. I suspect other cities are as well, but I have not checked census reports for them. Idk what it is, but jobs or no jobs the NC magnate is still on.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times
Quote:
Greensboro, NC (photo taken by me)

With all the talk of fake jobs reports and part time jobs, it seems that jobs are indeed real.

Greensboro, North Carolina which has a population of 270,000 and is NC's third largest city, has seen a wave of jobs announcements. All are full time jobs and this is just in one city in the state. There are jobs announcemnents like the ones list below all over North Carolina. President Obama must be doing something right. The wave of jobs coming to North Carolina could affect the outcome in who wins the Tarheel State

These are jobs in different sectors

New Greensboro jobs announcements within the past 4 months.

TIMCO Aviation Services - 400 jobs

Honda Aircraft Company world headquarters & Jet factory - 419 jobs

Lenovo Computer & Tablet assembly plant - 115 jobs

BB&T Bank (Triad Corporate Center) - 2,500 jobs

Deere-Hitachi (Kernersville, NC outside of Greensboro) - 340 jobs

Ralph Lauren (High Point, NC outside of Greensboro) - 500 jobs

Greensboro based Volvo Trucks of North America (expansion number of jobs not announced yet)
Add another 188 jobs to the Greensboro area

OFS Brands considering High Point expansion, 188 new jobs

Obama may very well win North Carolina. Despite some polls showing Romney with an edge in the state, other polls show it as a toss up.

OFS Brands considering High Point expansion, 188 new jobs - Greensboro - The Business Journal

http://www.news-record.com/content/2..._in_high_point

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-19-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,611,395 times
We've had months of steady job announcements in the Charlotte area as well.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,002,246 times
Too bad the same can not be said for other parts of the country.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times
I dunno. Ohio unemployment rate has been dropping along with Virginia. I just realized it seems like the battleground states are doing better than most parts of the country hehe. But job growth indicates this country is moving in the right directions.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Actually, the economic benefit of the jobs, wouldnt be seen until AFTER the election.. Wont help Obama at all..

Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
I dunno. Ohio unemployment rate has been dropping along with Virginia. I just realized it seems like the battleground states are doing better than most parts of the country hehe. But job growth indicates this country is moving in the right directions.
Unemployment numbers are falling because people stop looking for work, thats not better..

Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Quote:
Add another 188 jobs to the Greensboro area

OFS Brands considering High Point expansion, 188 new jobs

Obama may very well win North Carolina. Despite some polls showing Romney with an edge in the state, other polls show it as a toss up.

OFS Brands considering High Point expansion, 188 new jobs - Greensboro - The Business Journal

Business considering adding 188 jobs as part of expansion in High Point : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis
Thank Republican governance for those jobs.

Obama WILL NOT win NC. He won the state by 14K in 2008 and you think the political environment, his crumbling base and lack of support from key constituencies will result in dem turnout GREATER than 2008?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections