Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:39 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,960,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oh pinch yourself girl or man, are you kidding? This forum is full of funny threads and bs from the repubs. I get a chuckle everyday!

Well we find them funny, they take them seriously.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,467,170 times
Default Whats wrong with saying "Binders full of women"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
He clearly was referring to binders full of resumes from women. But he worded it wrong. Why not focus in on the intent? Obama made many mistakes like that too.

Seems childish to be obsess over this.
Some quotes just capture his attitude and the spirit of the thang, like (many) other ones he's said,

• "We use Ann sparingly right now so that people don't get tired of her."

• "It's not worth moving heaven and earth, spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person." —speaking in 2007 about killing Osama bin Laden

• "As president, I will create 12 million new jobs." —Mitt Romney, during the second presidential debate
"Government does not create jobs. Government does not create jobs." —45 minutes later (Oct. 16, 2012)

• "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, etc....."

• "I'm not familiar precisely with what I said, but I'll stand by what I said, whatever it was."

Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,717,716 times
Here's the key with the comments.

When you are Mitt Romney and you are trying to convince America that you love women and really think of them as equal to men, you can't be 'freudian slipping' with comments like this. It came across as sexist more because of who said it than how it was said.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Some quotes just capture his attitude and the spirit of the thang, like (many) other ones he's said,

• "We use Ann sparingly right now so that people don't get tired of her."

• "It's not worth moving heaven and earth, spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person." —speaking in 2007 about killing Osama bin Laden

• "As president, I will create 12 million new jobs." —Mitt Romney, during the second presidential debate
"Government does not create jobs. Government does not create jobs." —45 minutes later (Oct. 16, 2012)

• "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, etc....."

• "I'm not familiar precisely with what I said, but I'll stand by what I said, whatever it was."
Mormonism is a very man centric religion. It is a cultural thing. He is probably not even consciously aware of it.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM

20,128 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oh pinch yourself girl or man, are you kidding?
Interesting that even on a thread such as this that you would use an adult reference term for a male and juvenile reference term for a female. That's a subtle form of discrimination, you know. And if your excuse is that it is just part of the vernacular, then that indicates a culturally accepted form of soft discrimination. I have said it in reference to race on these boards many times, if you aren't the target it is very easy to dismiss these tiny forms of demeaning language and/or actions as being thin skinned. It's like referring to a black male as boy and a white male as man. Just saying.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,109,914 times
Default A different thought about the whole binder thing.

There is something I find more questionable than Romneys choice of words. His story is that he didn't have women applicants for jobs. He had applicants, but because they were all men some that actually bothered to apply were passed over for people that they had to spend valuable time actively searching for. We know why don't we? Obama would of had to do the same. A politician knows that, hey, I don't look right to people if I don't hire enough women, people of color, different religious backgrounds, whatever. I think that's really all that is about for all politicians. What kind of thing does that say about women if they weren't applying for these jobs in the first place? I think it's really dumb to have to go out and look for people to hire if you have plenty of qualified applicants.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Interesting that even on a thread such as this that you would use an adult reference term for a male and juvenile reference term for a female. That's a subtle form of discrimination, you know. And if your excuse is that it is just part of the vernacular, then that indicates a culturally accepted form of soft discrimination. I have said it in reference to race on these boards many times, if you aren't the target it is very easy to dismiss these tiny forms of demeaning language and/or actions as being thin skinned. It's like referring to a black male as boy and a white male as man. Just saying.
Lady, I thought I had the most self deprecating name on CD, but yours is the best.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:55 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,333,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
He clearly was referring to binders full of resumes from women. But he worded it wrong. Why not focus in on the intent? Obama made many mistakes like that too.

Seems childish to be obsess over this.
Of course he was. He asked for the resumes. That is how they sent them.

This is another case of leftists like Daily Kos, and others, trying to make controversy where none exists. Just as they did with the "47%" comment.

Pretty lame, and pretty ridiculous, for something that is pretty much standard practice, from what I understand. But I guess most people have no idea what is done in business when you need to hire people. I imagine recruiters do this all the time.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The phrasing isn't that bad but lying about him asking for resumes from women IS bad. Those binders full of resumes from women were brought to him and the other candidate running for governor unsolicited and were put together by a coalition of women's groups. He didn't purposely set out to bring more women in like he characterized himself.

Binders full of women: Mitt Romney's claim not entirely accurate - Boston.com

Yes, he most certainly did and their are many women who worked with him on this who have verified that. Mitt Romney also paid the women in his administration equal to the men, unlike it has been proven that Obama hasn't. If we want to discuss someone's lack of working with women in an equal caapacity, Obama has a history of that.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:00 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,249,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
okay, let me pc myself: man or woman.
I call my spouse girl once in awhile, it makes her feel young.
Thanks for your subliminal examination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections