Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Advertisements

I'm still waiting to learn how Dodd-Frank is strangling "small town bankers"...

Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
I did. Nevada is a strange fig - It's high Mormon presence shows a strong potential for a good turnout for Mitt Romney, while its high Latino vote bats for Obama in general.
6.7% Mormon is not all that high; besides, the other 93.3% obviously had a hand in electing Democrat Harry Reid to the Senate.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 AM

44 posts, read 43,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
So Scott Rasmussen's poll is showing a +5% Obama bias?
Wouldnt know...dont subscribe. LOL. But election day bodes well for Romney.

I am firmly in the camp of voter turnout will decide election, and it wont be similar to 2008, but instead between 2008 and 2010, closer to 2010 according to early voting.

I and am not convinced that this is Rass moving to the actuals, as it could also be a MOE issue. Its a pretty shocking move...and that obviously causes some concern....

I'm unwilling to discredit everything going on in early voter enthusiasm among republicans and what I am seeing in other polls where turnout models are given. Sure it might be wishful thinking....but saw the Obama win in 2008 for what it was....and was not deluded in thinking McCain had a chance. This year I see it the other way around.....Romney has the edge.....and Obama is going to have a very difficult time.....just the way i see it. Dont expect support from the other side.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,464,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Didn't they have him up 5 points just a few days ago? It's clear that they're trying to salvage some shred of credibility now that it's clear where this race is headed.
Yup, they don't wanna wind up with the rep they got from last time.

Rasmussen Polls Were Biased and Inaccurate; Quinnipiac, SurveyUSA Performed Strongly

Quinnipiac

Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
But I am firmly in the camp of voter turnout will decide election, and it wont be similar to 2008, but instead between 2008 and 2010, closer to 2010 according to early voting.
Don't you know that turnout in midterm elections is always lower than turnout in presidential elections? The idea that 2012 will somehow mirror 2010 is ludicrous.

Quote:
I and am not convinced that this is Rass moving to the actuals, as it could also be a MOE issue. Its a pretty shocking move...and that obviously causes some concern....
There's the understatement of the day.

Quote:
I'm unwilling to discredit everything going on in early voter enthusiasm among republicans and what I am seeing in other polls where turnout models are given. Sure it might be wishful thinking....but saw the Obama win in 2008 for what it was....and was not deluded in thinking McCain had a chance. This year I see it the other way around.....Romney has the edge.....and Obama is going to have a very difficult time.....just the way i see it. Dont expect support from the other side.
How can a poll be based on a "voter turnout model?" That doesn't make any sense. It wouldn't be able to accurately capture the electorate at that given moment in time. If you have over 100 polls in a single state, and fewer people self-identify as "Republican" in nearly all of them, then that's indicative of a larger problem with the Republican "brand." There's no reason that random sampling could not lead to the opposite result: more Republicans than Democrats. It's not that pollsters are assuming Democratic turnout will be X, it's simply that fewer people are identifying as Republicans.

Now it may be true that enthusiasm is higher among hard core conservatives. But hard core conservatives are not enough to win an election. And you don't get extra votes based on your enthusiasm.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,956,854 times
Quote:
Wouldnt know...dont subscribe. LOL.
I figured you might have noticed when you replied to my post in which I linked and talked about today's Rasmussn poll.

Quote:
But I am firmly in the camp of voter turnout will decide election, and it wont be similar to 2008, but instead between 2008 and 2010, closer to 2010 according to early voting.

It's the picking and choosing of polls you happen to like where you go wrong. You want to find accurante polls? Aggregate the lot of them and take the average.

But when some people don't like where that average points, they decide that only some of the polls are correct. And -- surprise, surprise! -- it always seems to be that those cherry-pickers always seem to determine that the really accurate polls just happen to be the ones most favorable to their guy.

Support? I don't expect support. I do expect people to be rational (knowing that many of them are incapable of it).

Anyway, back to your fixation on party ID in polls. Not that I think you'll care, but I'll at least give Gallup's Frank Newport a chance to explain it to you. He simply points out that the sample is assuming nothing -- respondents are simply asked their party ID. Self-described party ID is not an inherent trait but floats between elections. This whole "OMG, the pollsters Democrat/Republican turnout assumptions are all wrong!" conspiracy theory is nothing more than an inability to understand polling samples.
Gallup.Com - Polling Matters by Frank Newport: The Recurring -- and Misleading -- Focus on Party Identification

Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
I figured you might have noticed when you replied to my post in which I linked and talked about today's Rasmussn poll.

It's the picking and choosing of polls you happen to like where you go wrong. You want to find accurante polls? Aggregate the lot of them and take the average.

But when some people don't like where that average points, they decide that only some of the polls are correct. And -- surprise, surprise! -- it always seems to be that those cherry-pickers always seem to determine that the really accurate polls just happen to be the ones most favorable to their guy.

Support? I don't expect support. I do expect people to be rational (knowing that many of them are incapable of it).

Anyway, back to your fixation on party ID in polls. Not that I think you'll care, but I'll at least give Gallup's Frank Newport a chance to explain it to you. He simply points out that the sample is assuming nothing -- respondents are simply asked their party ID. Self-described party ID is not an inherent trait but floats between elections. This whole "OMG, the pollsters Democrat/Republican turnout assumptions are all wrong!" conspiracy theory is nothing more than an inability to understand polling samples.
Gallup.Com - Polling Matters by Frank Newport: The Recurring -- and Misleading -- Focus on Party Identification
Various posters have tried to explain this to no avail. If a pollster were to reject or select respondents on party ID it would hardly be a random sample. As I have said before, if you want to attack polls, do it on the likely voter criteria they apply or their methodology (automated. landlines vs cells, etc). Pollsters do reject and select respondents on their LV criteria and therefore do influence the results.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM

The early voting numbers in Ohio are also different this year because early voting started later in 2012. Duh.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM

40 posts, read 33,051 times
ppp Colorado - 50-46 Obama

http://images.politico.com/global/20...esults_lcv.pdf

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,816,126 times
Quote:
You want to find accurante polls? Aggregate the lot of them and take the average.

Pretty much.

And this is why the "Obama is losing independents, he can't win!" thing is not logical. Since 2008, more people left the Republican party and started calling themselves Independents. But these people's beliefs haven't changed and they still vote Republican, so we see an increase in the percentage of Independents voting Republican. Still, there are now more registered Ds than Rs. So to win, Obama needs to carry as many Democrats as possible and get them to the polls, then snatch enough Independents to put him over the top - a number that does not have to be more than half since there are more Democrats to begin with. That's it. It looks like he's pulling it off in enough states to win, albeit by narrow margins.

I do think this will boil down to turnout however. So the fabled Democratic ground game has to come through big time in the swing states to make the polls happen methinks. Odds are he'll pull it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections