Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,467,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Keep trying to deflect, but you will face your sad truth tuesday. BO will not be re-elected and you entitlement happy, successful hating, will have to get a life.....and finally a JOB.
Talk is cheap... and if you wanna wager, I take PayPal!

Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,593,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Talk is cheap... and if you wanna wager, I take PayPal!
No thanks! I was raised better than that...your location says it all I was taught 'when you lay down with dogs, ya come up with fleas' so, you are now on my ignore button. Buh Bye.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Is RCP wrong also?
Yup garbage in, garbage out. The problem is that these polls are weighting to the 2010 Census fair enough but that's breakout doesn't translate to the electorate. Case in point the last PPP poll of Wisconsin it is weighted 83% White. Fair since 2010 Census shows 83% White but look at the 2008 exit polls it shows Whites makeup 89% of electorate. Now if you apply PPPs margins to 2008 electorate you find Romney ekes out a win.

Libs are in for a long night tomorrow.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
You may be right. The latest numbers seem to be ratifying in Obama's favor, with the exception of Romney's late(And surprising) surge in Pennsylvania.

My original position was(And this is easily verifiable as I've repeated it) that Democrats tend to skew younger and that younger people tend to vote less. Romney's goal in this was to discourage the base, which reduces voter turnout. He's been remarkably successful at this, so the final tally will reflect that. I suspect that Romney will win the electoral college without the popular vote because of the closeness of the election.

If voter turnout is similar to the last election, of course, I am completely wrong about the outcome. I suspect that I'm not, but it'll be interesting to see. Regardless, I think that the problems the US currently faces aren't easily addressed by the president no matter what: The escalating power of China, who has rushed to purchase US debt, the EU crisis, the aging populace, etc.

Whoever wins, I wish them luck and wisdom in governing.
Fair sober post.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,403,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Didn't Bush claim a mandate?

The winner will claim what he wants to claim.
Bush didn't exactly win with a landslide in 2004, but his quote the day after was, "I have earned political capital and I intend to spend it."

Quite frankly, I would help Obama won't try to "reach across the aisle" to accommodate Republicans in his second term. He tried that at the beginning of his presidency and the GOP wanted none of it.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 AM

44 posts, read 43,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Bush didn't exactly win with a landslide in 2004, but his quote the day after was, "I have earned political capital and I intend to spend it."

Quite frankly, I would help Obama won't try to "reach across the aisle" to accommodate Republicans in his second term. He tried that at the beginning of his presidency and the GOP wanted none of it.
You mean when a crammed Obamacare down our throat with no attempt at GOP support?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,781,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It could highly unlikely he'd get a great share folks aren't motivated to keep status qua and Obama isn't faring too well with 18-22 crowd. All I know is when I apply the EV and ED internals of Ohio polls to Early voting/2008 turnout ratio. I get a Romney win before accounting for undecideds.

Also oddly enough and this has been under reported IMHO is the Black vote in Ohio. Certainly it overwhelmingly goes for Obama but in '08 it went 97-2. In the OH internals it averages around 90.

A five pt shift among Blacks translates to 25K less Obama votes using '08 as a guide. I wonder if the gay marriage thing is having an impact ever so slightly?
Let's take another look at the Faux News data.

So we know that Party ID in Ohio is based on the last primary you voted in. If have not voted in a primary, you are identified as "non-affiliated." So far, Faux News has the count going this way:

557,177 Democrats
480,843 Republicans
263,256 "Swing Voters"

Hmm...who are these 263,256 "swing voters" who have voted early??? These people are not "swing voters." They are voters who have not voted in a primary before (which excludes most Ohio Republicans since Ohio had a very competitive primary in which 1,189,530 people voted). They are far more likely to be newly registered younger and minority voters who trend Democratic.

So we have a total early vote count of 1,301,276. The number of Democratic voters (557,177) plus the number of "non-affiliated" voters (263,256) yields a total of 820,433 or 63% of early voters. That's actually consistent with Time Magazine's poll results, which say that 60 percent of respondents who had already voted did so for Obama.

Ohio Republican Presidential primary results

TIME Poll: Obama Leads by 5 in Ohio | TIME.com

Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,991,400 times
Romney down to a 13.7% chance of winning today. His chances of winning have fallen steadily for almost 4 weeks. The nowcast is sitting at 12% so I'm thinking on election day he'll be down to 11% or 1 in 9.

Election Forecasts - FiveThirtyEight Blog - NYTimes.com

These Obama haters (middle aged to elderly, white, males, with low IQ and/or poorly educated) will likely never see a GOP President again in their lifetimes. That's remarkable.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,403,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
You mean when a crammed Obamacare down our throat with no attempt at GOP support?
Oh please. I won't bother to rehash history, but this comment is completely partisan and off base so it's not worth further reply.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 AM

44 posts, read 43,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And therein lies the problem for Republicans. Never mind the campaigns' internal polls which adjust for presumptions of turnout. There are dozens and dozens of public polls, that despite the claims of the ignorant to the contrary, DO NOT make presumptions about party affiliation and use time tested models to find likely voters - most of which favor Republican voters. And almost all of them point to a victory for Obama. There are no polls, for example, in the RCP over the last week or so that have Romney winning Ohio. The only argument that Sanrene and others CAN make is that all those polls are statistically biased. It's quite a stretch to believe that, but one borne of desperation at this point.

Will all the pollsters be embarrassed? Will inferential statistics be turned on its head? Will Romney prove all of them wrong? It simply is not very likely.
Your comment on the likely voter polls and time tested models....
Reminds me of this quote.....

"Mr. Madison, what you just said is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent reaponse were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone is this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

~~Mr. Oblaski. Billy Madison (1995)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections