Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,416,209 times

Advertisements

I'm enjoying the conversation here about the Gallup poll, the back-and-forth, but I really like the way Obama's line in that Gallup poll looks like an EKG, five minutes after death. Total flatline at 45%.

Election 2012 Likely Voters Trial Heat: Obama vs. Romney

Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
In this poll the gender gap actually favors Romney.
That's enough to toss it right there.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
13 point difference. Makes you wonder about polling this year for sure.
I do agree with you that a lot of the polling this year leaves much to be desired.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I do agree with you that a lot of the polling this year leaves much to be desired.
I still get polled every couple of weeks, sometimes more often. Never give correct answers and with the Repub pollsters, I am waiting to find out their top offer. By the way, I've already voted. I imagine there are a lot of people doing the same. What will determine the outcome is whether the "Get out the Vote" efforts work better the the "Prevent the Vote" efforts.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I still get polled every couple of weeks, sometimes more often. Never give correct answers and with the Repub pollsters, I am waiting to find out their top offer. By the way, I've already voted. I imagine there are a lot of people doing the same. What will determine the outcome is whether the "Get out the Vote" efforts work better the the "Prevent the Vote" efforts.
Uhh...I would say there are a lot of Democratic "prevent the vote" efforts, Bob. And the Republicans have their own "get out the vote" efforts.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
NBC/WSJ poll: Presidential contest now tied - First Read

Not good there. Obama will need a bigger margin with women than that.

10 million more women voted than men the in 2008 election (out of 132 million total voters in 2008). This will help Obama if this many more women vote in 2012.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's enough to toss it right there.
Certainly no fan of Marist polls but Romney is doing well among men and has closed the gap among women. Whether he closed it enough to make the gender gap positive for him is anyone's guess.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
10 million more women voted than men the in 2008 election (out of 132 million total voters in 2008). This will help Obama if this many more women vote in 2012.
A lot of Black and White Women fell for Obama's hope and change spiel last time around. While Black women are firm Obama supporters he'll see some drop off among White women.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Certainly no fan of Marist polls but Romney is doing well among men and has closed the gap among women. Whether he closed it enough to make the gender gap positive for him is anyone's guess.
I don't think Marist does the NBC/WSJ national polls, only the state ones.

The NBC/WSJ/Marist state polls should be tossed in the trash, as they are basically hack polls. The NBC/WSJ national polls have, in the past, also been more favorable to Obama than most polls so maybe this is a good sign (but they have never been as different from most other polls as NBC/WSJ/Marist state polls).

When doing polls for McClatchy, Marist has actually been far more reasonable. I'm not sure if they do polling for anyone else.

A somewhat similar situation would be with the CBS/NYT/Quinnipiac polls. I trust Quinnipiac polls and even CBS/NYT polls but not CBS/NYT/Quinnipiac polls. They are always outliers, but Quinnipiac by itself is a good poll as is CBS/NYT.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:09 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,773,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't think Marist does the NBC/WSJ national polls, only the state ones.

The NBC/WSJ/Marist state polls should be tossed in the trash, as they are basically hack polls. The NBC/WSJ national polls have, in the past, also been more favorable to Obama than most polls so maybe this is a good sign (but they have never been as different from most other polls as NBC/WSJ/Marist state polls).

When doing polls for McClatchy, Marist has actually been far more reasonable. I'm not sure if they do polling for anyone else.

A somewhat similar situation would be with the CBS/NYT/Quinnipiac polls. I trust Quinnipiac polls and even CBS/NYT polls but not CBS/NYT/Quinnipiac polls. They are always outliers, but Quinnipiac by itself is a good poll as is CBS/NYT.
Quote:
Someone on twitter said that although the total sample is 1000 people, they only interview 120 per day. Which would generate some wild swings per day.

Folks across the political spectrum have dismissed the poll. The consensus is pretty clear Obama received little to no post 2nd debate bounce yet hear is IBD saying Obama received some massive post-debate bounce.
There polling method seems fine as most polls are near 1000 people...

Besides according to them, they claim to be the most accurate pollster out there:

IBD/TIPP Takes Top Honors Again - Investors.com

To anyone who doesn't click, they were the top pollster (most accurate) in the 2004 and 2008 election. Most likely this comes from them using a more "modern" polling method versus some of the older traditional one that have trouble coping with cell phone usage.

EDIT: I don't think Obama is up +6 however. +2 to +3 at max is the most likely answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections