Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
I said 2 to 3 max Not 2 to 3 currently. I think it is close but I think Obama 100% has the electoral college advantage. Romney needs almost double the victories in swing states then compared to Obama.
I think Obama may have a slight electoral college advantage, but I don't think Romney needs double the victories in the swing states compared to Obama. It depends on what we're considering as "swing states." RCP averages the polls and (it appears) that they put states where one candidate is ahead by less than 5 into the "tossup" category. So if all the tossup states are what we consider "swing states," Romney actually needs to win less than Obama.

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map

When we look at the no tossup map, things do look better for Obama but not great. If Ohio or even Wisconsin flip in this map, Romney would be at 270. Or if Iowa and Nevada flip.

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map No Toss Ups

If Obama has an electoral college advantage, it's all because he is narrowly ahead in Ohio. That's it. It looks like now there's pretty much an equal number of EV's that are safe for each candidate.

There are some things to be a bit skeptical about when looking at some of the Ohio polls (and, no, I'm not one of the conservatives who has cried about "skewed polls"), primarily having to do with early voting. I think Obama may be up by 1 in Ohio and that's about it. And he's at 48%. And undecideds are more likely to vote for challengers than incumbents. I am not saying I think Romney has the edge in Ohio, but I am saying that I think both sides should be very concerned about the state.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...bama-1860.html

Old 10-21-2012, 04:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I think Obama may have a slight electoral college advantage, but I don't think Romney needs double the victories in the swing states compared to Obama. It depends on what we're considering as "swing states." RCP averages the polls and (it appears) that they put states where one candidate is ahead by less than 5 into the "tossup" category. So if all the tossup states are what we consider "swing states," Romney actually needs to win less than Obama.

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map

When we look at the no tossup map, things do look better for Obama but not great. If Ohio or even Wisconsin flip in this map, Romney would be at 270. Or if Iowa and Nevada flip.

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map No Toss Ups

If Obama has an electoral college advantage, it's all because he is narrowly ahead in Ohio. That's it. It looks like now there's pretty much an equal number of states that are safe for each candidate.
Honestly I'm not sure Obama even has the EC advantage since I don't believe he is ahead in Ohio. While the race maybe tied I think momentum is on Romney side. The Dems are running a campaign like it's still the summer with their manufactured issues of Big Bird, Binders and Romnesia. Folks are hurting and the Dems are not addressing it in any meaningful way.

There's a cost to pay for that.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Nate Silver tweeted earlier that IBD/TIPP is prone to wild swings.
Once again, another cautious vibe from Nate. Not a good portend. It would appear IBD/TIPP just happened to be reasonably accurate the day of/before the election, otherwise often an outlier. Oh, well. Forget about IBD, then, for now.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Honestly I'm not sure Obama even has the EC advantage since I don't believe he is ahead in Ohio. While the race maybe tied I think momentum is on Romney side. The Dems are running a campaign like it's still the summer with their manufactured issues of Big Bird, Binders and Romnesia. Folks are hurting and the Dems are not addressing it in any meaningful way.

Yes, I edited/added to my post.

The other thing about Ohio - Ohio has historically been slightly more Republican than the nation as a whole. I think *at the most* Ohio could be D+1 this year (when compared to the nation as a whole), but it will not be D+2 or more. In 2008, it was R+2.9.

Something I should mention is that a lot of the Democratic-leaning pollsters have been polling the swing states more than nationally and a lot of the Republican-leaning pollsters have been polling nationally more than in the swing states.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:06 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Obama leading in Florida now, woot woot
What poll and question is he leading today??

Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

I don't agree with you on much, but I do however agree with you on this one. I am not into the Romnesia thing..

Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,044,307 times
Chavez, Putin, and Castro have come out to endorse Obama. Congrats, couldnt think of any better people to be the picture endorsement of Barack Obama.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:16 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,044,307 times
The PJ Tatler » Phoenix CBS affiliate calls election for Obama on Oct. 19th

Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,150,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Chavez, Putin, and Castro have come out to endorse Obama. Congrats, couldnt think of any better people to be the picture endorsement of Barack Obama.
The entire Bush/Cheney Crime Family for Romney is a good omen???

This country has fallen off the sanity cliff if these POS are allowed to pull the strings again.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This country has fallen off the sanity cliff if these POS are allowed to pull the strings again.
Yabut, Romney lies so good, he's infected half the country with Romnesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections