Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Agreed. I'm talking about personal type slurs used by the candidates themselves, for general consumption ... by the world.

Personally, I hadn't heard that many about Obama, but after reading the list in one of the posts, the only one I (and many others) probably remember is "Obama Bin Laden," when his birthplace/religion were under fire.
Thanks for clarifying, and BTW just glancing at your profile, apparently you're a frequent poster here and you also seem to be reasonably savvy, especially about current events. So no offense, but I'm curious, how does anyone, let alone a Democrat, NOT see all the nasty "nicknames" and downright virulent hatred directed at Obama for the last 4 years?!! I swear, you can hardly even scan the radio these days, without hearing at least half a dozen stations calling the POTUS everything but "white" (yet meanwhile "Romnesia" gives you heartburn)?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 11:00 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Thanks for clarifying, and BTW just glancing at your profile, apparently you're a frequent poster here and you also seem to be reasonably savvy, especially about current events. So no offense, but I'm curious, how does anyone, let alone a Democrat, NOT see all the nasty "nicknames" and downright virulent hatred directed at Obama for the last 4 years?!! I swear, you can hardly even scan the radio these days, without hearing at least half a dozen stations calling the POTUS everything but "white" (yet meanwhile "Romnesia" gives you heartburn)?!
I've wondered the same thing about some of the posters on here claiming they never hear or see the name calling, yet they post in P&OC often.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I'm more savvy about cultural/economic issues than I am about political issues, really, with political meaning "plain old politics." I have watched the debates, but knew even beforehand who I would be voting for. I did not watch much of the GOP candidate debates, with way too many people up there, and the thing I remember most was Rick Perry's brain fart when it came to mentioning the 3 Federal departments he would eliminate, because that was downright unforgettable. It basically says how a single gaffe can take somebody out of the running.

Yes, I am aware that a lot of people DO NOT like Obama, even from the get go, but to get the full list of slurs, one would have to keep a close ear to the ground, especially to stuff spewing from GOP/Tea Party folks, who I don't follow. Also, living in the politically correct Pacific Time Zone, I really wouldn't hear these items being discussed in casual conversation. However, regardless of where one lives, they could catch these across political cartoons and radio programs, where censorship does not exist. Once I saw the slate of GOP candidates and the constant flip-flopping of their popularity, with Mitt emerging as the winner, that's all I needed to see, made up my mind, and sort of tuned out.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I've come to expect those words and juvenile references from the left. I'm not talking about morons posting on forums; I'm talking about those in power and the ones who surround them. I really can't imagine Romney speaking like 0bama and his people.

0bama has the mentality of a 12 year old bully on the school playground. This goes down well for those who adore him. They eat it up.
You're usually spot on, but in this instance you're wrong. He acts more like a 15 year old schoolgirl.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:34 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I've come to expect those words and juvenile references from the left. I'm not talking about morons posting on forums; I'm talking about those in power and the ones who surround them. I really can't imagine Romney speaking like 0bama and his people.

0bama has the mentality of a 12 year old bully on the school playground. This goes down well for those who adore him. They eat it up.
Says the poster that replaces the first letter in Obama's name with a zero?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yes, it's causing a painful obamarroid to the economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It is interesting to ponder what draws people to different political 'sects.' I think definitely one of the things the left has going for it right now is that it offers a home for people who have an emotional need to hate, for whatever reason. That's why you find the Dan Savages, Spencer Ackermans, & so forth on the left.

There are several posters on here who obviously just cannot resist calling Romney "Mittens," "Willard" etc. You see in on the right sometimes too--"Obummer," etc--but it's not an epidemic as it is on the left.

I figure that anyone who even runs for prez is risking his/her life to some extent. Ten of 44 presidents ended up being shot at somewhere along the line, so they do deserve a certain respect for that, IMO.
Willard is his actual name. How is that a nickname OR slur?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Says the poster that replaces the first letter in Obama's name with a zero?
This is really funny that Dale, a name typical of a televangelist, spouts that Obama begins with 0 and uses the term bully on a school ground. If anything, it is documented that Romney held down some student in his elite prep HS and cut off his (too) long hair.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This is really funny that Dale, a name typical of a televangelist, spouts that Obama begins with 0 and uses the term bully on a school ground. If anything, it is documented that Romney held down some student in his elite prep HS and cut off his (too) long hair.
But....but....but.....Willard doesn't remember that (even though five others who were there do).

But....but....but....the boy never told anyone about it (even though that is typical for young people who have been totally and completely humiliated).

The excuses will begin in four, three, two, one..........NOW!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
I try not to engage in it myself and I think it is beneath the dignity of the office when a candidate does it. It's one thing to attack someone's policies and a totally different thing to attack the person. Romnesia is real close to crossing that line. I hope Obama passes that torch to Biden quickly, it doesn't look good for a sitting president to engage in name calling.

They aren't responsible for the idiots that support them.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
But....but....but.....Willard doesn't remember that (even though five others who were there do).
That's what I consider to be the documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections