Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
obama says that he likes the term obamacare. He is proud of it, it was not used to try to "needle" him. If nothing else it would be a compliment in obama's narcissistic mind.

I don't care about the nicknames on here or other places, but it is completely immature and unprofessional for a candidate to do it or a member of the press.
You just contradicted yourself, you realize. Romney brought it up in a debate on national TV. He was combative in that debate and that was part of his combativeness. Fortunately, Obama did not respond in a prickly fashion, which is IMO what Romney wanted (for him to respond peevishly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Teabagger? Astroturf? You guys are no saints.
You must not of read my post, here I will post it again for you.

Originally Posted by urbanlife78
Well seeing the Cons in here like to throw around the word "Liberturd" quite, well liberally, I would say nicknames and name calling comes from both sides....it is basically apart of our American culture, even if some of the Cons that have posted on here so far want to pretend it only comes from the left and not their precious right.

Unless you are trying to say name calling doesn't come from both sides, I suggest you sit back down, I never called anyone a saint and I pointed out that name calling comes from Democrats and Republicans and everyone in between.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Uh... Ever heard of "Obamacare"?
President Obama himself used that term in the first debate and even said that he like it.

What else should it be called? It is a health care bill that was pushed by President Obama.

Why would you want to distance it from him - if it is so great?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
President Obama himself used that term in the first debate and even said that he like it.

What else should it be called? It is a health care bill that was pushed by President Obama.

Why would you want to distance it from him - if it is so great?
Romney initiated that conversation. I"d bet my life's savings he was trying to rattle or anger Obama.

It should be called the Affordable Care Act.

Your last question is just argumentative.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Since so many of you libs don't like to be called leaners, by me, from shortening left leaners maybe I will have to go back to doing it. I really got a kick out of progs asking me what leaner meant when it should have been obvious.
Actually the term "leaner" could easily mean "right leaner" as well as "left leaner." I assume you would know that.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,380,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Romney used the term "Obamacare" in the first debate, apparently hoping to get a rise out of Obama. Instead, O. laughed it off.
Actually that is not at all what happened.

Katiana, why even try this? You can't blatantly misrepresent what happened in a debate anymore, not in the age of search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debate
[Romney] What things would I cut from spending? Well, first of all, I will eliminate all programs by this test, if they don't pass it: Is the program so critical it's worth borrowing money from China to pay for it? And if not, I'll get rid of it. Obamacare's on my list.

I apologize, Mr. President. I use that term with all respect, by the way.

OBAMA: I like it.

Read more: Transcript of first presidential debate | Fox News

I never thought of 'ObamaCare' as perjorative. When I cut my finger, a friend who who is a huge Obama supporter joked: "better get you some ObamaCare," raising his eyebrows in mock concern as if this was the teachable moment that would get me to vote for Obama.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:57 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I saw the "Romnesia" comment on the homepage today. Election banter is starting to get a little "below the belt." This won't change the way I will vote, but I can't wait until this is over. This election has pitted so many people against each other, including friends and family members. I know it's getting down to the wire.

What do you think of these "nicknames" and "wordsmithing?" Is this a standard in Presidential campaigning? Other examples?
No. RMoney, O'bama, and everything in between is offensive. Anything that detracts from their true names is extremely childish.

It is: President Obama and Governor Romney. ****in deal with it.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,609,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I've come to expect those words and juvenile references from the left. I'm not talking about morons posting on forums; I'm talking about those in power and the ones who surround them. I really can't imagine Romney speaking like 0bama and his people.

0bama has the mentality of a 12 year old bully on the school playground. This goes down well for those who adore him. They eat it up.
Pot...kettle.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Actually that is not at all what happened.

Katiana, why even try this? You can't blatantly misrepresent what happened in a debate anymore, not in the age of search.

Read more: Transcript of first presidential debate | Fox News

I never thought of 'ObamaCare' as perjorative. When I cut my finger, a friend who who is a huge Obama supporter joked: "better get you some ObamaCare," raising his eyebrows in mock concern as if this was the teachable moment that would get me to vote for Obama.
I call BS! For the past 2 1/2 years, "Obamacare" has been used by the Reps to describe the affordable care act in a negative way. I am blatantly misrepresenting NOTHING!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...al-doctor.html (Started by a RW who uses sarcasm in almost every post, has cutesy little words for everything he doesn't like)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...it-doctor.html (A thread advocating repeal of the ACA)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...our-house.html
(1st sentence: It's never ending with this no good piece of dung.)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...obamacare.html (Again, negative)
Plus much more!

This "discussion" reminds me of the "discussions" about the use of racist words to describe Obama, and then the denial that racism was involved, e.g. words/phrases like "Homie", "Magic Negro", and the like.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,380,743 times
I call BS on your call of BS. Read the damn transcript. Romney said that he used the term "with all respect" and Obama responded positively. And if you watch the debate on video, both appeared to be quite sincere.

Explain to me how "Obamacare" is perjorative. What about 'Reaganomics,' "Carter Doctrine,' 'Bush tax cuts,' etc. Were these all perjorative? What is exactly the criterion that makes such a term perjorative or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections