Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 PM

8,827 posts, read 21,353,385 times

Advertisements

agree with previous posters that Gore will not run. He's enjoying his rock star status and he can do more good promoting environmental issues.

I think that you're right, but I just do not think that Hillary will make a viable candidate . In the end, people won't vote for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 04:33 PM

791 posts, read 2,228,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Nobel is sweet revenge for Gore, blow to Bush
With the selection of the International Committee on Climate Change and Al Gore, Jr., for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize, President Bush has moved into the record book for most Peace Prizes awarded to Americans during their presidency.

His Presidency is tied with three others for most Americans winning the Award!

Previous American Presidents to share multiple peace prizes during their Presidency were Ronald Reagan, Richard M. Nixon and…Herbert Hoover.

Quote:
Gawd, I just love politics ! ! !

Old 10-12-2007, 04:43 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,654,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
With the selection of the International Committee on Climate Change and Al Gore, Jr., for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize, President Bush has moved into the record book for most Peace Prizes awarded to Americans during their presidency.

His Presidency is tied with three others for most Americans winning the Award!

Previous American Presidents to share multiple peace prizes during their Presidency were Ronald Reagan, Richard M. Nixon and…Herbert Hoover.

Yes, but, Bush did not win the prize. As impopular as he is in the majority of the world for the war in Iraq, we would never give it to him.
It's not his staff that won the prize, but other Americans. Sure, they all share the fact that they come from the same country, but they fight for different things.
Just because it happened during Bush's time in office it doesn't mean he's got anything to do with it.

I think it is great that Al Gore and the IPCC won the Nobel prize Finally some acknowledgement for the environmental cause! And I too think the world would have been better now if Gore had won and not Bush. Gore can hold speeches

Old 10-12-2007, 04:47 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,412,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Yes, but, Bush did not win the prize. As impopular as he is in the majority of the world for the war in Iraq, we would never give it to him.
It's not his staff that won the prize, but other Americans. Sure, they all share the fact that they come from the same country, but they fight for different things.
Just because it happened during Bush's time in office it doesn't mean he's got anything to do with it.

I think it is great that Al Gore and the IPCC won the Nobel prize Finally some acknowledgement for the environmental cause! And I too think the world would have been better now if Gore had won and not Bush. Gore can hold speeches
Exactly what about Gore's recent activities are related to peace?

Old 10-12-2007, 05:00 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,891,969 times
I never remember thinking of al gore as smart. Hes probably smarter than Dubya but that aint saying much. And Bush is what we needed at the time, a party puppet. Smart people dont make good puppets

Old 10-12-2007, 05:10 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,654,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Exactly what about Gore's recent activities are related to peace?
Peace isn't just about the peace you can "see" without thinking too much. Peace is also about uniting and making it better for the world. By promoting global thinking (through e.g. the environment) you are also doing much for the world peace and local peace (in countries and regions where e.g. the climate is causing conflicts, e.g. over water or pollution).
Al Gore and the IPCC are mostly about the environment - but the environment is what all we live in. What happens to it effects us all, and effects our relationships with each other.
It's about thinking in more steps than just one. Because if you think about what will happen and what IS happening (pollution, lakes and rivers etc being dried up, areas becoming deserts etc) with our climate and environment, you will also see all the misery that will be and is all over the world.
We are more effected by our environment than many want to realize.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Peace isn't just about the peace you can "see" without thinking too much. Peace is also about uniting and making it better for the world. By promoting global thinking (through e.g. the environment) you are also doing much for the world peace and local peace (in countries and regions where e.g. the climate is causing conflicts, e.g. over water or pollution).
Al Gore and the IPCC are mostly about the environment - but the environment is what all we live in. What happens to it effects us all, and effects our relationships with each other.
It's about thinking in more steps than just one. Because if you think about what will happen and what IS happening (pollution, lakes and rivers etc being dried up, areas becoming deserts etc) with our climate and environment, you will also see all the misery that will be and is all over the world.
We are more effected by our environment than many want to realize.
You seem to be defining peace as "anything good and happy."

Thank you for hepling me understand why the Nobel Committee is committed to making judgements which are utterly ridiculous. Once, I had thought that Yassir Arafat's "peace" prize was the most bizarre international act that would ever be committed. Now I wonder if there is a limit to their absurdity.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,284,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
agree with previous posters that Gore will not run. He's enjoying his rock star status and he can do more good promoting environmental issues.

I think that you're right, but I just do not think that Hillary will make a viable candidate . In the end, people won't vote for her.
I think the democratic nominee will win the general election, whether Hillary or not. One of her problems has been with women over 35 and the last polling data shows that to be narrowing. Big business donating leaving repubs in droves and donating to the dems.

In any event, dems will pick up seats in congress neutralizing presidential power. My only concern is who gets to pick the next Supreme Court Justice N worry with a veto proof majority in congress

Old 10-12-2007, 05:47 PM

491 posts, read 1,436,981 times
does it matter, they all suck, and this coming from someone with a poli sci degree.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I think the democratic nominee will win the general election, whether Hillary or not. One of her problems has been with women over 35 and the last polling data shows that to be narrowing. Big business donating leaving repubs in droves and donating to the dems.

In any event, dems will pick up seats in congress neutralizing presidential power. My only concern is who gets to pick the next Supreme Court Justice N worry with a veto proof majority in congress
Hillary will win big, the dems will carry both houses with filibuster-proof majorities, and Hill will get at least two SCOTUS picks. There is no way that the Dems will "neutralize presidential power" with one of their own (two of their own!) in the White House.

This is a truly harrowing scenario, unelss one is partial to dictatorships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections