Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,369,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes because the Businessmen presidents we have had were so wonderful

Warren G. Harding
Herbert Hoover
Jimmy Carter
George W. Bush

Romney is not better he is just saying I will do everything Obama is doing but I will do it while giving massive tax breaks, increasing military spending and without raising the debt which is an absurd lie. I have seen the required growth rates for the Ryan plan, which is the best we have got in lieu of Romney not telling us anything and he requires 4 decades of 2% unemployment. That is fanciful.
There you go spinning again. Romney did not promise massive tax breaks. Our national defense is supposed to be our #1 priority, so yes - we should increase military spending. When more people are working, there are more paying taxes - so no raising the national debt. Isn't the Obama campaign still borrowing money, and Romney's isn't? Hmmmmm. Seems like Romney knows how to operate in the black and Obama operates in the red. Simple economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

Obama has had four years and he has our country in the biggest mess it's been in since the Great Depression. We can't afford four more years of Obama. He had his chance; now let someone who actually knows how to run a successful business have a chance to get us out of the mess Obama got us into.
It took 12 years and WW2 to pull the U.S. out of the Great Depression.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM

12,309 posts, read 9,791,883 times
Quote:
Like FDR, Obama is working to mitigate a GOP catastrophy.
Exactly.

The difference between this "recession" and those decades ago is that the nation awoke and found that there was no economy left to recover. It had been exported at an accelerating rate since the Reagan era to exploit overseas labor, while importing illegals for the same purpose. More than one way to skin a cat, Big Business found.

It is amazing to me to see good conservatives continuing to cling to the idea that the same sociopaths....er, businessmen....who have been pillaging our once great nation for the last generation are to be looked upon as our savior.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 AM

25,856 posts, read 20,798,693 times
Quote:
There you go with more liberal spin. That is NOT what Romney said. He said he will cut whatever is not necessary. He said he will lower or eliminate exemptions for higher income people. He said he will get people working again. More people working = more people paying taxes = not having to raise taxes. How is that giving away free stuff?

Obama is the one giving cell phones and food stamps to people. Obama is the one who did away with Clinton's Welfare to Work, which made people have to be looking for a job to receive welfare benefits. Now they don't even have to pretend they are looking for a job!
These are both lies.
The "free" cell phones programs was in place before Mr. Obama was inaugurated. This and the SNAP program are mandated by Congress (!)
As the welfare to work BS, Google is your friend.

"Contrary to the hysterics of the Obama opposition, the modification, which allows the Department of HHS to waive certain state requirements under the law, does not make any significant change in the substance of the law. Rather, the modification—which comes in the form of the occasional waiver— is a response to the many states seeking more control over how they administer their welfare program. "

Romney Claims Obama Guts Welfare Work Requirements By Doing Precisely What Romney Requested in 2005! - Forbes

And, just have to ask: how will Mr. Romney get more people working again? And what people?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,044,575 times
Quote:
FDR did not make money illegal. He just abandoned the gold standard which had been crippling the country since the 1880s.

Where in the video did that say anything about free stuff other then to say the GOP is promising it? The entire point is that Romney is basically saying he will do everything Obama is doing without costing anyone anything. Just like the 1930s GOP.

As to "real money" federal reserve notes are real money, and I do own silver money, but this BS about a precious metal standard is the main reason I refused to support Paul. Even most far right conservatives I know agree with me that a metal standard is stupid and will kill the economy.
The last note the Govt printed was the "United States Note" the federal reserve note isn't printed by the govt.

The last paper note that was backed up in silver was printed in 1957.

Well I gotta admit I am far from thrilled with Romney but there is no way he can do worse that the poser in chief we have now.

In some ways I hope the current liar n thief wins, so he can break the country to the point of the new revolution. I'ld like to be a War Lord.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,369,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
These are both lies.
The "free" cell phones programs was in place before Mr. Obama was inaugurated. This and the SNAP program are mandated by Congress (!)
As the welfare to work BS, Google is your friend.

"Contrary to the hysterics of the Obama opposition, the modification, which allows the Department of HHS to waive certain state requirements under the law, does not make any significant change in the substance of the law. Rather, the modification—which comes in the form of the occasional waiver— is a response to the many states seeking more control over how they administer their welfare program. "

Romney Claims Obama Guts Welfare Work Requirements By Doing Precisely What Romney Requested in 2005! - Forbes

And, just have to ask: how will Mr. Romney get more people working again? And what people?
All I can tell you is I personally know three people who are benefitting greatly from Obama being in office. Before he was in office, they were all working. Since he took office, they all have cell phones paid for by taxpayers, all of them get section 8 housing, all of them have cell phones paid for by taxpayers, and two of them get social security disability, although they were denied previously. I don't know the specifics of two of them, but one of them I know for a fact gets Section 8 housing, a cell phone, food card, plus $1700+ per month in Social Security disability. His "disability" is that he is a drunk who would rather stay home and drink than go to work every day.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,044,575 times
Quote:
All I can tell you is I personally know three people who are benefitting greatly from Obama being in office. Before he was in office, they were all working. Since he took office, they all have cell phones paid for by taxpayers, all of them get section 8 housing, all of them have cell phones paid for by taxpayers, and two of them get social security disability, although they were denied previously. I don't know the specifics of two of them, but one of them I know for a fact gets Section 8 housing, a cell phone, food card, plus $1700+ per month in Social Security disability. His "disability" is that he is a drunk who would rather stay home and drink than go to work every day.
Hmmm maybe i should try for that...... Any chance he gets better than 40 year old Scotch?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM

29,917 posts, read 39,569,723 times
FDR was the master of the straw man fallacy.

Obamagogue is the master of demagoguery.

Both men are/were masters at deception and lies and installing programs that the US can never pay for.

Good luck with being on the wrong side of history.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM

9,700 posts, read 5,138,197 times
Quote:
There you go spinning again. Romney did not promise massive tax breaks. Our national defense is supposed to be our #1 priority, so yes - we should increase military spending. When more people are working, there are more paying taxes - so no raising the national debt. Isn't the Obama campaign still borrowing money, and Romney's isn't? Hmmmmm. Seems like Romney knows how to operate in the black and Obama operates in the red. Simple economics.
Good lord... what do you call a 20% across the board tax cut? Jeez...

Old 10-29-2012, 06:00 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,433,668 times
Quote:
He basically describes Mitt Romney and today's GOP to a T.

FDR: "Let me warn you..." (1936) - YouTube
This makes a great deal of sense, coming from an Obama supporter. When you raise prices, you cut economic activity. When you raise the cost of employing people, you get less employment. When you attack capital investment that leads to jobs, capital goes on strike. FDR used these principles to extend the Great Depression. Obama is doing his best to emulate FDR.

As my grandfather used to say, "FDR is still giving his fireside chats--only now, the fire is much, much hotter."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections