Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,806 times

Advertisements

You've all heard it. "Poor republicans are dumb". I'm not gonna be politically correct. You know what I mean. Liberals saying poor rebublicans are dumb because they go against their self-interest (welfare/handouts).

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here? How hard is it to accept that even if people are poor that they may be for certain ideals which they believe will help them in the long run? Why would anyone be so close-minded to think that people have to vote for their self-interest at this current moment?

I don't support republicans or democrats. Just saying, before I get attacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,601 times
Poor people generally are dumb - that's usually why they are poor. So they aren't prone to making "good, informed" decisions in the first place.

However, it is interesting when it comes to politics because, like you said, most poor people generally vote against their own self-interests. Even people who WANT government assistance still don't vote properly.

If you really wanted the government to take care of you and everyone else who is "down and out" then you would vote for the Green Party - they really do want to provide free healthcare, free education, generous welfare handouts, etc. which would really help those who aren't so well off.

If you don't believe in government handouts, then you should vote Libertarian because those policies they present would at the very least help lighten your load - prices for many things you need would drop because they would get rid of a lot of the regulations, taxes, and subsidies that artificially inflate their value.

Unfortunately, they aren't well informed and don't know that these other, better parties exist.

Instead, poor people vote Republican or Democrat because a) they think those are the only choices and b) they are told by the media that the most important things are "gay marriage", "abortion", and stupid stuff like that which generally don't even affect poor people at all - meanwhile BOTH parties perpetuate anti-poor people agendas such as "War on Drugs", "War on Poverty", "War on Education", etc. These policies would not exist with a Green or Libertarian candidate in office.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_zed View Post
You've all heard it. "Poor republicans are dumb". I'm not gonna be politically correct. You know what I mean. Liberals saying poor rebublicans are dumb because they go against their self-interest (welfare/handouts).

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here? How hard is it to accept that even if people are poor that they may be for certain ideals which they believe will help them in the long run? Why would anyone be so close-minded to think that people have to vote for their self-interest at this current moment?

In the U.S., everyone has the right to be stupid.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Poor people generally are dumb - that's usually why they are poor. So they aren't prone to making "good, informed" decisions in the first place.

However, it is interesting when it comes to politics because, like you said, most poor people generally vote against their own self-interests. Even people who WANT government assistance still don't vote properly.

If you really wanted the government to take care of you and everyone else who is "down and out" then you would vote for the Green Party - they really do want to provide free healthcare, free education, generous welfare handouts, etc. which would really help those who aren't so well off.

If you don't believe in government handouts, then you should vote Libertarian because those policies they present would at the very least help lighten your load - prices for many things you need would drop because they would get rid of a lot of the regulations, taxes, and subsidies that artificially inflate their value.

Unfortunately, they aren't well informed and don't know that these other, better parties exist.

Instead, poor people vote Republican or Democrat because a) they think those are the only choices and b) they are told by the media that the most important things are "gay marriage", "abortion", and stupid stuff like that which generally don't even affect poor people at all - meanwhile BOTH parties perpetuate anti-poor people agendas such as "War on Drugs", "War on Poverty", "War on Education", etc. These policies would not exist with a Green or Libertarian candidate in office.
Don't even mention how Ron Paul would let the bank fail, the cuts, or you'll scare them

What I mean is you could apply what I'm saying to his position too. He would say we should sacrifice ourselves now, even if we go through a "rough" period, because it will stabilize the economy and be better in the long run. However, like I said. Say anything about sacrificing their current self-interest and they freak out....

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,704 times
I'm not saying I'm a 'poor' Republican (maybe close though in this economy!!), but I ALWAYS vote "beyond myself". I mean, sometimes I wish I lived on an island, but no beeeeach for as far as I can see!! Civilized civilization includes my 'hood' - so I want the best for the 'hood'. Just sayin...

Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM

9 posts, read 6,596 times
i am a democrat and will always be....niether one of these canidates is GOD..only God can change things in this world if we just look to him..because he will protect his people in these hard times...

Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:

It would be easier to discuss this if you explain what these ideals are, and how they would help a poor person in the long run.

Cause you kind of contradict yourself on your post.

If theses ideal help you in the long run, you are voting in your own self-interest.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 PM

194 posts, read 297,480 times
Quote:
“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”

Benjamin Franklin

Have you ever considered that the people you refer to don't want to be on welfare or get handouts because they don't need it (despite someone telling them it is in their "best interest) and are in fact smart enough to know that they don't want to become dependant on it?

Anyone who would suggest that those in poverty are "stupid" because they know their needs better is uncharitable, arrogant, and frankly goesn't give a damn about them despite what they may say to the contrary.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:

They are stupid because they are jumping the gun. You don't tour $5 million homes until you start making money first. If they support policies that will make it more difficult for them to get out of poverty, they are stupid.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Close-minded: Conservative
Open-minded: Progressive

Keeping that aside, there are a few members in my (extended) family here in Texas who rely pretty much exclusively on welfare. They are the ones who are guaranteed to vote Romney. When I speak to them, it boggles my mind that they do not see self being affected by it. In fact, one of them is in her late 50s so it was good news to her that Romney-Ryan voucher plan for Medicare would not affect her. That presents the other side of the fact... not only are these self-defeaters (operating on presumptions of being unaffected) they are also incapable of thinking about why emphasis is being made by a politician to tell them that if they are in their 50s, they won't be affected.

Being closed minded gets you THAT. Being open minded allows you to see what goes on in their stupid head (individual and collective).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections