Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:12 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,284,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
His book is worth reading. If you don't know what book I'm referring to - you probably live in a cave and don't read much anyhow. I would never have guessed that weather reports can be distorted. An honest stat geek is, IMO, a national treasure.
I don't live in a cave, I read constantly, and I have no idea who Nate Silver is. Maybe, just maybe, there is more to life than statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,941,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't live in a cave, I read constantly, and I have no idea who Nate Silver is. Maybe, just maybe, there is more to life than statistics.
Or maybe you're not as well-read and plugged in as you suspect. Silver has been all over the place for the past half a year, and I say that as someone with no deep love of statistics.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,614,239 times
I don't see Heitkamp loosing at this moment, all votes are in and she is up 3k...But being a well run state North Dakota will have a recount. Berg refuses to concede and is forcing a recount...

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...ta-senate-race

Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
Nate Silver is brilliant. Polls are not the GOP enemy.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:17 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,952,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The fact that you don't even know who one of the most prominent names in this election is speaks volumes about you. Get out of the bubble and stop "reading constantly" the things that only support your own convictions. Stop rejecting math, logic and science. Doing so will lead to your own doom. Statistics and math are VERY important!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,816,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I hope this is precedent for future elections.
I hope this sets a precedent for science in general. Really for expertise in general.

This shift towards demonizing people who had the nerve to study something for years at an actual university, know a subject in and out and become really, really good at it is ridiculous and alarming.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry feels free second guessing people with years in their field off the back of some random blog posts or hysterical TV punditry, or a book written by someone with no credentials and/or respect amassed by their peers in their given topic.

Stop the madness.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,682,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
I have him at 31-1 with 1 yet to be decided. That 1 to be decided he has Berg, yet Heitkamp is winning with 93% in. So it could be 31-2... of course the two he picked wrong would have been picking Republicans when Dems won... so much for that liberal bias in his numbers, lol.

His Predictions:

Correct Senate Predicitions: Flake (AZ), Feinstein (CA), Murphy (CT), Carper (DE), Nelson (FL), Hirono (HI), Donnelly (IN), King (ME), Warren (MA), Cardin (MD), Stabenow (MI), Klobuchar (MN), Wicker (MS), McCaskill (MO), Fisher (NE), Heller (NV), Menendez (NJ), Heinrich (NM), Gillibrand (NY), Brown (OH), Casey (PA), Whitehouse (RI), Corker (TN), Cruz (TX), Hatch (UT), Sanders (VT), Kaine (VA), Caldwell (WA), Manchin (WV), Baldwin (WI), Barrasso (WY)

Incorrect: Rehberg (MT),

Not Called: Berg (ND),

Assuming he is 31-2 in the Senate, note the two he missed are probably the two least polled states in the nation.

Last edited by Eddyline; 11-07-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,449,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Assuming he is 31-2 in the Senate, note two two he missed are probably the two least polled states in the nation.
Great Point!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,348,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I hope this sets a precedent for science in general. Really for expertise in general.

This shift towards demonizing people who had the nerve to study something for years at an actual university, know a subject in and out and become really, really good at it is ridiculous and alarming.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry feels free second guessing people with years in their field off the back of some random blog posts or hysterical TV punditry, or a book written by someone with no credentials and/or respect amassed by their peers in their given topic.

Stop the madness.
Yeah, the good thing about the Internet is that it's the great "leveler" allowing everyone to have a voice.
The problem with the Internet is that it's the great "leveler" allowing everyone to have a voice.

The lesson here is that not all voices have equal value. Just because someone can publish something on the Internet doesn't mean what they published has ANY VALUE. ANY idiot can publish something on the web today - giving rise to all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories and nut job claims.

All this dimwits who buy into something because they "read it on the internet" need to consider the source. Does the person making the claim REALLY have any credentials to give his claims any value?
Most of the time when it comes to these conspiracy claims (such as the polls all being deliberately skewed), the answer is NO.

Nate Silver has the credentials and track record to show he KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. These other folks DON'T.

Ken

Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Never try to win an argument with a baseball stat geek.
That's what I've been saying! LOL

When I saw your post, it reminded me of what I've been saying for months to a big Yankees fan who kept saying Romney was going to win. His only answer when I mentioned the 538 blog was "Nate Silver is an a-hole." I've been cautious about what I post on C-D because I care about my privacy. However, after sharing a home with this man for 10 months, I moved on Nov 1. I know it sounds silly to some people, but as Nov approached, I began eating dinner in my room to avoid listening to the anti-Obama noise. So he began sending me emails with offensive cartoons and false internet rumors and leaving articles next to my coffee pot.

I enjoy a good debate. After all, if we all thought alike, the world would be a boring place. However, when the conversations turn to "the Blacks" this and "the Blacks" that, with the occasional *N* word tossed in for effect, it's not a discussion I want to join.

Please, everyone. Let us work together. Imagine if all the billions spent on this campaign to prove one ideology was better than the other was spent on helping Americans. Imagine if all the energy that went into tearing apart Obama for 4 years was invested in finding solutions to heal our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections