Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
I always enjoy libertarians striving for that 5% threshold to trigger public funding of their campaigns!

Libertarians wanting the government to pay for their campaigns! LOL, priceless!
There is no other way to go up against the big D and R. That is the only viable way to get into the game as a serious contender. Do you not see that ?
The rules are already made and to play the game you must play by the rules currently in effect.

I can see that.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Yep just like Willard was.
Well, except that "Willard" literally was on the cusp of winning. He came within two percentage points, whereas Johnson didn't pick up two percentage points period.

I have no issues with people voting third party. They serve as a useful outlet for a protest vote and they can force the major parties to at least address their policy goals in close elections. Heck I even used to run in libertarian circles and I had the chance to meet Johnson when he was still governor of New Mexico. But it's time for third-party cultists to come to grips with the fact that protest outlets/election spoilers are the only functions third parties are useful for. The Libertarian/Green/Constitution/whoever party will never become a major political force in this country.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
The only people who throw their votes away are those eligible voters who don't vote. If you vote,
your
vote
is
NEVER
wasted.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times
Is Ron Paul still leading.........................in the Paulbots heads?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm not part of the establishment and I've been calling Libertarians, of their myriad varieties, crazy for decades.
If you voted for Obama or Romney....you are part of the establishment. Period.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:39 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Libertarians have a 0% chance of ever coming close to winning the oval office. Democrats and republicans together would crush you, and even if you went up against just democrats, it would be like the new england patriots playing against the little sisters of the poor university, it would be over by the 1st quarter.
No the Pats would blow it in the 4th

Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm not part of the establishment and I've been calling Libertarians, of their myriad varieties, crazy for decades.
The problem with your assertion is that you have a history of posting that says otherwise. Apparently, you dislike Republicans and Libertarians equally, making you a what? A talking head progressive is part of the establishment.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
A conservative voting for a moderate who flip flops from liberal to conservative just because they think he will win is a wasted vote. Should have voted your conscious.
Any vote for a candidate who had no chance in hell of winning is a wasted vote.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Is Ron Paul still leading.........................in the Paulbots heads?
I fear that (a couple of years from now) people like you will also be wishing we had been given a viable third choice. Libertarians had no expectations of winning the POTUS, but we'll settle for the new recreational pot laws. Those wouldn't have passed without us, and now we have a real hope of stopping this insane war on (citizens) drugs!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The USA was doing quite well largely functioning under the core values and ideas of Libertarianism prior to the end of the second World War. The post WW2 era was the breaking point where we abandoned those principals.

And it's important to note that Libertarianism is a movement is an idea that is still defining and redefining itself. It is not flawless anymore than the Democratic or Republican parties are. Put the Libertarians in power and the ideas have to be applied to reality. Some ideals must be modified when that happens. That is inevitable. But at it's core, Libertarianism is the voice of common sense saying to get America back to abiding by its own Constitution.

But it answers questions that neither big party can.
1.) How do you balance the federal budget?
2.) What to do about the war on drugs, overcrowded prisons, drug cartels, etc?

That's two things neither big party has an answer for. Calling us crazy is just childishness. The bigger question you should be asking: Are the Republicans and Democrats the REAL crazies??

Good post! And yes, I think a lot of the D's and R's have lost their damn minds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections