Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't agree with all of Mr Goodman's conclusions, or with the flimsy evidence he offers to support those conclusions. I do think that Secretary Clinton is a combination of conservatism and liberalism, much like her husband was. I think IF she announces a candidacy, and begins to describe her approach to foreign policy, economic policy and social issues, we'll have a clearer idea of where she falls in those areas.

I'm not sure, though, that she's as interventionist regarding foreign policy as Mr Goodman thinks she is. I think if she did become President, her focus would be much more on domestic issues than on foreign policy.
I totally agree with you; regardless of her previous job, I think she is much more interested in what happens here, than in other countries.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:49 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
That would probably be the only way a Republican could win the Presidency in the next 10 years. Your party is being slaughtered in the minority, single women, and under 30 vote and its obvious you all are in a civil war on top of that judging from your ousting of your majority leader in a primary and some of the contentious primaries tonight. You all have fun with that.
Strange, then, that the GOP somehow controls 30 governorships, a huge majority in the House of Representatives, and a majority of state houses.

I guess your party really is as terrible as I said it was.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Strange, then, that the GOP somehow controls 30 governorships, a huge majority in the House of Representatives, and a majority of state houses.

I guess your party really is as terrible as I said it was.
You do understand off year elections =/= presidential year elections. Again we will see. I am looking forward to 2016 though and hope the GOP primary has many debates.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
This is all premature. I was sure Ed Muskie would be the next president in 1972.
Quote:
Before the 1972 election, Muskie was viewed as a front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination.
Edmund Muskie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
, a huge majority in the House of Representatives, .
LOL! When did 53.6% become huge? The current GOP house seats 233/435 = a 53.6% share.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
That would probably be the only way a Republican could win the Presidency in the next 10 years. .

Naturally, that poster wants to suppress the vote, as when we vote en masse, he hates the results. We'll have to start a tissue fund for him.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:47 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Quote:
That would probably be the only way a Republican could win the Presidency in the next 10 years. Your party is being slaughtered in the minority, single women, and under 30 vote and its obvious you all are in a civil war on top of that judging from your ousting of your majority leader in a primary and some of the contentious primaries tonight. You all have fun with that.
Many in the under 30 group are opening their eyes and becoming fed up with Obama's false promises of "Hope and Change." I think a lot are realizing that voting Democrat isn't what its been hyped up to be.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I think she'll win easily but she's not really "likable" in person like Bill, Obama, W Bush, etc. I can't find it right now but there's a video from the 2007 campaign where her and Bill are at a fair. Bill was talking to everyone, making people laugh, telling stories...while Hillary was kinda just in the background looking stand offish.
Yup. My bro met both of them twice back in the 90's. He said Hillary isn't very likable, but never forgets anything. Bill is the opposite.

Likability does play a factor in an election, but it's relative. An unlikable candidate may have fewer unlikable qualities than the opposition, and that's all it takes to win.
It's not always the highest priority on the list for voters, either. When the country is in trouble, it wants a leader, likable or not. When the country is doing well, it wants a buddy first and a leader second.

Either way, voters hate a scold. Many candidates have lost from scolding the voters. Voters do not like to be told what to do, act, or say in an election year, and they don't like being called stupid, old, too young, or any names at all. When someone tosses out a word like Republiscum or Democrap, they just created a new voter who's going to vote for the other side.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:49 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Many in the under 30 group are opening their eyes and becoming fed up with Obama's false promises of "Hope and Change." I think a lot are realizing that voting Democrat isn't what its been hyped up to be.
This is what the anti-Obama crowd said before the 2012 election.

Obama won anyway.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
This is what the anti-Obama crowd said before the 2012 election.

Obama won anyway.
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people". P.T. Barnum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections