Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mr. Joshua;26975784]
Quote:

Newsflash! Rick Santorum was rejected as the Republican presidential candidate. It happened earlier this year.

This proves that the GOP recognizes marriage as between a man and a woman. It does not prove they are anti-gay.
Even if so, why try to force that on the majority, who don't have issues with gays marrying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Meanness- Your party is really mean, mocking and demonizing everyone who does not follow you into the pits of hell. You constantly imply – as Mitt Romney did in his “47% speech” – that anybody who disagrees with you does so not by logic or moral conviction, but because they are shiftless, lazy parasites who want “free stuff” from “traditional Americans.” Wow, you guys managed to follow up a stunning electoral defeat with insulting the very people you wish to attract for a majority in the political system! Brilliant! You are losing elections because being angry and defensive and just-plain-mean is more important than being smart and winning elections – and thus you deserve everything happening to you.

~snip from OP article.

^^exactly.

The party of rage and hate against humanity isnt working. someone needs to send trump the meme. Indeps have tuned out the trash.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
[quote=beenhereandthere;26978074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

Even if so, why try to force that on the majority, who don't have issues with gays marrying?
who is forcing anyone to believe anyway: not agreeing with something isn't forcing others to feel the same. It is the left that has no tolerance for those who think differently from them, not the right.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Seriously, it is not like this stuff is hard to find. This took a few seconds on google. As for pot I agree that there are a whole host of people who are for and against it and it doesn't always follow the usual party lines.

Rick Santorum
“One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country.” And also, “Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that’s okay, contraception is okay. It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be.”

GOP Party Platform
That is why Congressional Republicans took the lead in enacting the Defense of Marriage Act, affirming the right of States and the federal government not to recognize same-sex relationships licensed in other jurisdictions. The current Administration’s open defiance of this constitutional principle – in its handling of immigration cases, in federal personnel benefits, in allowing a same-sex marriage at a military base, and in refusing to defend DOMA in the courts – makes a mockery of the President’s inaugural oath. We commend the United States House of Representatives and State Attorneys General who have defended these laws when they have been attacked in the courts. We reaffirm our support for a Constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. We applaud the citizens of the majority of States which have enshrined in their constitutions the traditional concept of marriage, and we support the campaigns underway in several other States to do so.
RS hardly represents the party in case you don't know. Did he get the nomination? of course not. Other than some very devout Catholics, and often they are not Republicans I don't know of any other group that would ever come out against birth control for heavens sake. Being opposed to same sex marriage does not make a person anti gay. Just ask our lesbian daughter who has had the same partner for 20 years (in fact we are celebrating their 20th anniversary on a cruise in a couple of months) She still feels marriage is between one man and one woman. You do know first Obama was in favor of same sex marriage, than opposed to it and then in favor of it. I guess you have no clue how a political platform really works? It is not, usually the platform of the party, but a few who draw it up...I don't think you need to be telling others how to find information: most of us having been using Google for as long as you have know how to post on these threads, maybe longer...

Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
[quote=Captain Obvious;26975828]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

So being against gay marriage isn't being anti-gay...okay

Is that like loving the sinner and hating the sin?
I didn't expect you to understand.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

The majority? Before this election, every state that has had gay marriage on the ballot rejected it, including California!!!

It is becoming more acceptable only because most people feel that it is inevitable. In other words they are resigned to it.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Default I can relate...

Quote:
Letter to a future Republican strategist regarding white people

I can predict the responses, from the right already.
I'm an older white male who voted Republican for deacdes. Now, I'm voting against Republicans. And donating to Democrats. The GOP has slipped badly.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
RS hardly represents the party in case you don't know. Did he get the nomination? of course not. Other than some very devout Catholics, and often they are not Republicans I don't know of any other group that would ever come out against birth control for heavens sake. Being opposed to same sex marriage does not make a person anti gay. Just ask our lesbian daughter who has had the same partner for 20 years (in fact we are celebrating their 20th anniversary on a cruise in a couple of months) She still feels marriage is between one man and one woman. You do know first Obama was in favor of same sex marriage, than opposed to it and then in favor of it. I guess you have no clue how a political platform really works? It is not, usually the platform of the party, but a few who draw it up...I don't think you need to be telling others how to find information: most of us having been using Google for as long as you have know how to post on these threads, maybe longer...
So if he does get the nomination next go around, will you change your tune? Then again you thought Trump was really serious this time about running for president.

As for gay marriage the only reason to oppose it is based on the bible...that's it. So it kinda goes without saying which political party is more supportive of gays and lesbians. There are undoubtedly Christian Democrats, but their faith doesn't blind them politically.

Wow so you guys having been using Google for less than two years...that is pretty impressive (I have been on here for less than 2 years).

Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I'm an older white male who voted Republican for deacdes. Now, I'm voting against Republicans. And donating to Democrats. The GOP has slipped badly.
My dad is the exact same. He hasn't changed, the party has.

Re: the OP link, I think he is dead on. Anecdotally, I know plenty of people who didn't want to vote for Obama again but felt there was no other option for the exact reasons stated.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 11-16-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Letter to a future Republican strategist regarding white people

I can predict the responses, from the right already.
Great blog post, thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections