Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What a leap you've made. An OP that says unnamed commentators "alluding" to insanity instantly becomes "calling black people stupid". And you wonder why people think libs are insane.
Since I am the OP, the same question could be asked about why conservatives appear or seem cold hearted?

First of all, I am an American, who happens to be black, and pretty much try to be non biased against Republicans and Democrats since I am an Independent with very deep conservative views. Attending a Baptist church clearly makes me conservative who fall under that umbrella of evangelical Christian if that's how you want to label me.

The person who made the statement about blacks being insane for voting for Obama was a radio talk show host on a local conservative radio station who was on a panel on FOX. I don't remember His name, but his show is aired nationwide, if that helps. But, the reason I started this thread was because of the fact that he thinks that blacks are insane for voting Obama. Well I guess blacks are insane for voting for all of the previous Democratic presidents as well.

In my opinion, it was a slap in every black voters face. I will tell you why. No one calls Asians insane for the way that they vote. I never heard anyone call Hispanics insane for voting the way that they do. Nor have I ever heard anyone call Jews insane for voting mainly democratic in elections. But, to that conservative radio host, black people, are just INSANE or (how I see it) idiots and don't know any better because they just want a black man in office again.

The blacks that I know, just didn't want another black man in office. One, who is a Republican that attends my church clearly said that the Republicans have lost their base, and that they didn't really have anyone one strong on their ticket that he was confident in to vote for. Now this is a black Republican telling me this. Therefore, he, like many blacks, voted on who they felt would best help them and their families.

I have said this before on other threads. The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is this. They just have different views on how to spend the middle class money. The Democrats want the middle class to spend more on programs that benefit them and the poor. On the other hand, the Republicans want to put more money in their rich friends pockets at the expense of the middle class. So there you go. I rather benefit from paying higher taxes on programs that would help someone over paying higher taxes just to keep people already rich, even richer from all of the so called tax breaks that allow them to hide and invest their money overseas.

Again it just goes to show that when Republicans have nothing else to use, they use the race card against black people who could and would help strengthen their base. If Republicans tried to be more inclusive instead of being divisive by having someone on national tv or radio make off the cuff remarks about the black vote, then maybe they could win over more blacks to vote Republican. Also, if they really wanted more blacks to join their party, you don't have one from the Republican party, call blacks insane for voting for Obama--NOW THAT'S WHAT IS INSANE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
excellent post antredd. I'm black, also raised Baptist and my mother ran as a republican for local office a few times. Calling us insane and bringing up welfare/handouts every time you talk about blacks won't win us over.

JC Watts made a good point about the last election. He said there was a 3% decrease in black votes for Obama but they people didn't vote for Romney, they stayed home. Imagine if Romney's camp reached out to them in a genuine way and they swayed 2%? When Paul Ryan tried to get Romney's camp to go into urban areas they waved him off and said their speech doesn't cater to that audience...LOL.

Well, how about changing the speech? Changing the tone? Getting some color, women, etc in the inner circle. You can't bounce ideas from one white guy to the next white guy when talking about minorities and think you will come up with a good solution.

Whites in the GOP are too content with telling blacks how they should feel and what they need and how they need it... it isn't working at all but they have so much pride they refuse to listen to anyone except the Hermain Cains who are too quick to laugh at jokes that aren't funny.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually the Black vote was critical in Florida, Virginia, and Ohio. If Mitt Romney wins Florida, Virginia, and Ohio he's the President-elect of the United States of America. Now the Black vote cannot single handily win an election but if an election is close they can make the difference, and in 2012 it did.

Notice how the when the Republican Party talks about Black Americans it's always about

Black people being on welfare

Black people being in the inner cities

Black people being criminals

The majority of Black people in America are not on welfare, are not criminals and fewer Black people live in the inner cities than ever before.

There is a whole segment of the Black population in America that is increasingly educated, increasingly middle class and increasingly suburban. But Republicans continue to caricature Black Americans categorically as inner city moochers that are criminals.

The Republican national national campaign strategy since 1964 has been to appeal the the hatred, prejudices and bigotry of white voters by systematically demonizing, degrading, and vilifying Black Americans. It's been very effective for about 48 years. THAT WON'T WORK ANYMORE!

Until that changes the Republican Party will continue to have difficulty attracting more Black voters.

"The majority of Black people in America are not on welfare, are not criminals and fewer Black people live in the inner cities than ever before."

Who said they were?

"Notice how the when the Republican Party talks about Black Americans it's always about Black people being on welfare, Black people being in the inner cities, Black people being criminals"

Is that true, or is that simply what you need to be true?

Seems in your world every problem has a white, a.k.a. "racist Republican", face behind it.

"Instead of admitting that racism has declined,†observes Shelby Steele, “we [blacks] argue all the harder that it is still alive and more insidious than ever. We hold race up to shield us from what we do not want to see in ourselves."

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCategory.asp?id=1261

Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"The majority of Black people in America are not on welfare, are not criminals and fewer Black people live in the inner cities than ever before."

Who said they were?

"Notice how the when the Republican Party talks about Black Americans it's always about Black people being on welfare, Black people being in the inner cities, Black people being criminals"

Seems in your world every problem has a white, a.k.a. "racist Republican", face behind it.
Thanks for playing...

Gov Romney « Gretawire

Quote:
"By the way, I had the privelege of speaking today at the NAACP convention in Houston and I gave them the same speech I am giving you. I don't give different speeches to different audiences alright. I gave them the same speech. When I mentioned I am going to get rid of Obamacare they weren't happy, I didn't get the same response. That's ok, I want people to know what I stand for and if I don't stand for what they want, go vote for someone else, that's just fine. But I hope people understand this, your friends who like Obamacare, you remind them of this, if they want more stuff from government tell them to go vote for the other guy-more free stuff.
Newt Gingrich and the NAACP

Quote:
So I'm prepared, if the NAACP invites me, I'll go to their convention and talk about why the African-American community should demand paychecks and not be satisfied with food stamps.
Santorum tells Iowans: ‘I don’t want to make black people’s lives better’ | The Raw Story

Quote:
After suggesting that an expansion of Medicare is really just a plot to make voters more “dependent†on Washington, Santorum added: â€I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them other people’s money.â€
Thank you in advance for not returning to this thread.

Last edited by EddieB.Good; 12-07-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Who said they were?

Just look at these threads read or watch conservative media.

Quote:
Not every problem but don't act like there aren't any racist Republicans, it just insults your own intelligence.

Quote:
"Instead of admitting that racism has declined,” observes Shelby Steele, “we [blacks] argue all the harder that it is still alive and more insidious than ever. We hold race up to shield us from what we do not want to see in ourselves."

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCategory.asp?id=1261
First the whole issue of "The Decline In Racism" is HIGHLY DEBATABLE.

In 2012, racism's tenacious hold on U.S.

Quote:
I am not naïve enough to think that with the election of Barack Obama racism has disappeared from America. In fact, according to a new AP Poll, racism has increased since 2008.

According to the poll, "51% of Americans now express explicit anti-black attitudes, compared with 48% in a similar 2008 survey." The three percentage point rise is not large, and within the poll's margin of error. But, at the very least, it indicates we have not reached the post-racial world that some hoped Obama's election would usher in. And the prejudice isn't limited to blacks: 52% openly express anti-Hispanic sentiments.

The numbers go up when measured by an implicit racial attitudes test. That is, when the survey takes into account the "dog-whistles," the new buzz word for code language only those "tuned in" will hear, anti-black sentiment is 56% and anti-Hispanic sentiment is 57%.
The election of Barack Obama as President of the United States has threatened many people concept of what America should be in regards to White Americans being the ruling group socially, poltically and economically. That in turn has brought about such sentiments as "The White Establishment Is Now The Minority".

Bill O’Reilly: 'The White Establishment Is Now The Minority'

Quote:
O'REILLY: Because it's a changing country, the demographics are changing. It's not a traditional America anymore. And there are 50 percent of the voting public who want stuff. They want things and who is going to give them things? President Obama. He knows it and he ran on it.

And whereby 20 years ago President Obama would have been roundly defeated by an establishment candidate like Mitt Romney. The white establishment is now the minority. And the voters, many of them, feel that this economic system is stacked against them and they want stuff.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
excellent post antredd. I'm black, also raised Baptist and my mother ran as a republican for local office a few times. Calling us insane and bringing up welfare/handouts every time you talk about blacks won't win us over.

JC Watts made a good point about the last election. He said there was a 3% decrease in black votes for Obama but they people didn't vote for Romney, they stayed home. Imagine if Romney's camp reached out to them in a genuine way and they swayed 2%? When Paul Ryan tried to get Romney's camp to go into urban areas they waved him off and said their speech doesn't cater to that audience...LOL.

Well, how about changing the speech? Changing the tone? Getting some color, women, etc in the inner circle. You can't bounce ideas from one white guy to the next white guy when talking about minorities and think you will come up with a good solution.

Whites in the GOP are too content with telling blacks how they should feel and what they need and how they need it... it isn't working at all but they have so much pride they refuse to listen to anyone except the Hermain Cains who are too quick to laugh at jokes that aren't funny.
Thanks for sharing, and I agree with you 100%.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,274 times
Obama can sacrifice a baby on the White house lawn and still have widespread support from most "African American" voters.

So yes some "African Americans" are extremely stupid (and/or "DUMB") for continuing to support this failed president, who is not only destroying this country, but also destroying any credibility this demographic ever had.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Obama can sacrifice a baby on the White house lawn and still have widespread support from most "African American" voters.

So yes some "African Americans" are extremely stupid (and/or "DUMB") for continuing to support this failed president, who is not only destroying this country, but also destroying any credibility this demographic ever had.
you just destroyed your demographics credibility with this post.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Well, I voted to help blacks turn that unemployment trend around, so that makes one of us who care.
Really? How'd you do that?

I hate to tell you this, but the only place Romney creates jobs is China.....and there aren't any black people there.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It should be repealed. It, on it's face, is discriminatory and racist.
The Voting Rights Act is racist?

East is west, night is day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections